Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm trying to download Masterwork DF but it keeps stopping at 2.66MB. Help?  (Read 1924 times)

ƧƔℳƂỠⱠ ƜȺℕ

• Bay Watcher
  • n͢͡a҉͞ṕ̶̶͘ą̸͘͘҉l̶̕͝ò̧̧́͢m̸̢̛̕͟o͢͡
    • View Profile
    • This Interesting Thing I Found on the Internet

Every time I try to download Masterwork DF (from here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5315) it stops at 2.66MB. Shouldn't it be 70.69MB?

This is all that is download each time: http://i.imgur.com/1blChU4.png
check out my blog: titifoti.tk

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

There's probably something wrong with your internet connection - I've downloaded 17MB and it's still going, albeit rather slowly (only 100KB/sec where I usually get over 1MB/sec from other sites).

[edit] I was able to successfully download the entire file, so it's definitely a problem at your end.

As a side note, I'm rather puzzled as to why Meph decided to distribute it in RAR format, a particularly old, inferior, and restricted archive format - recompressing it with 7zip got it down to 58MB (which would've taken over 2 minutes off of DFFD's rather long download time).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:20:25 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

As a side note, I'm rather puzzled as to why Meph decided to distribute it in RAR format, a particularly old, inferior, and restricted archive format - recompressing it with 7zip got it down to 58MB (which would've taken over 2 minutes off of DFFD's rather long download time).

I did, but the users were really confused. What is 7z, what kind of file is it, and so on. I even get that now and then about .rar.

I have it one DFFD for vanities sake, I like to have all the download numbers in one place. I guess that was ok when the mod was 30mb or so, but with 70mb@100kbs I probably should start offering a mirror.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

I did, but the users were really confused. What is 7z, what kind of file is it, and so on. I even get that now and then about .rar.
I think the proper solution to that would be to educate users - 7-Zip has been in common use for several years (the program itself has been around for nearly 15 years, but it didn't become popular until recently) and is superior to RAR in almost every way (more robust file format, better compression, wider support across other patforms, and isn't encumbered by overly restrictive license terms).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

That sounds easier than it is. I worked 150h on the manual alone, and still some users say that it "barebone" and "doesnt cover a lot".

But you got me thinking, I'll try it out on the next update. Maybe I upload both, see which one is favoured.

ƧƔℳƂỠⱠ ƜȺℕ, did you manage to get it downloaded?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ƧƔℳƂỠⱠ ƜȺℕ

• Bay Watcher
  • n͢͡a҉͞ṕ̶̶͘ą̸͘͘҉l̶̕͝ò̧̧́͢m̸̢̛̕͟o͢͡
    • View Profile
    • This Interesting Thing I Found on the Internet

ƧƔℳƂỠⱠ ƜȺℕ, did you manage to get it downloaded?

I did now. It was a problem with my internet connection.
check out my blog: titifoti.tk