Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to use more leather mod and some mw leather types to create a new workshop  (Read 1618 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

that takes certain quantities of leather (and possibly other material, say mechanisms), to make different levels of leather armor.

I was thinking like "Tough hide" and "scaleplate" type templates.

I think it would be really easy.

I got the idea when trying to come up with a simple solution for civforge where the running assumption was thicker skin lead to thicker leather, until Putnam pointed out (And some testing confirmed) that leather = leather regardless of skin type.

But. More leather mod hits on this by giving more leather

so now the idea is to convert extra sets of tanned leather (or maybe... in the tanning process I can tan a better piece of leather using more skin?).  I'm not sure...

End result would be about 3 varying leather or leather armor.

I hope to do something similar for chittin.

So what should I do?  Create a new workshop I'm sure... or maybe I don't have to.  Not sure if leatherworks is an old school workshop.

Then create the new templates (I'll probably just borrow... rip them off from somewhere and give credit).

But how do I actually go about creating armor based on these new templates?

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i would suggest strengthening after tanning, as tanning is an automatic reaction and having to pick which tanning reaction to use manually would be a wee bit annoying and people would possibly  forget and the skin would rot.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its a good idea for a mod thistleknot.

Dragoon209 already has an Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers mod that does part of this, and is pretty neat.

However, I could definitely see expanding on his base concept with composite armors (leather + bone, leather + chitin, ect, which Dragoon does a little bit in his mod) and/or some alternate approaches to upgrading/improving leather.

To answer one of your OP questions, yes the leatherworking shop is a hardcoded workshop and can't have reactions modded in.  However, the tanner's shop is a customizable workshop.  Leather improvements could either be carried out at the tanner's or in a custom workshop.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i would suggest strengthening after tanning, as tanning is an automatic reaction and having to pick which tanning reaction to use manually would be a wee bit annoying and people would possibly  forget and the skin would rot.

you can strengthen the tanned skin?  That would be amazing!  I could do a bind tan 3 skins to make a tougher leather.  I didn't think that was possible, that I'd have to create new material templates.

thx wannabehero!  That is exactly what I was looking for!

I see I need new templates, but that's cool
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:58:23 pm by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Strengthening the tanned skin is still done using entirely new materials.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dragoon209 already has an Upgradable Leather Armor Tiers mod that does part of this, and is pretty neat.

I strongly suggest giving this a try before you delve into realizing your own plans, which sound exactly like what Dragoon209 has already made. See how that works and if it does what you want. I use it and it's truly awesome.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I said already this is exactly what I was looking for ;)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry I misunderstood. Anyway, I'm really interested to see what you do if you expand on it, so let us know if you have things to add.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well I added more leather mod, but still want to include the tiered leather (it's basically going to mimic mw's additions, but give better leather opportunities for my bastardized civmwforge).  Then next the more of less leather mod, and create some chitin tier's

update:
added the tiering in.

but I'm getting toad padded leather... whereas the only thing I was getting before was animal this or animal that.  It weird. only a few creatures show up, like toad, or cardinal.

So I'm troubleshooting that.

I changed the local_creature_mat to creature_mat:animal but still getting toad and what-not for the new tiered armors.  I am getting animal padded leather as well, but something about toad...

need to sleep on it.  i'm wondering if it has something to do with b_detail_plans
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:55:03 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

okay, I've been talking back and forth with billy jack.  It looks like I can implement his more of less leather with just using creature:animal.

At first I was scared of doing something so apart from his mod for fear of having to undo it with any update... but I'm using civforge as my base, not mwmod.  I don't have any of the other leathers as skins.  So I'm filtering through all the stuff I DON'T HAVE TO IMPLEMENT, just to get to the base of his mod.

I'm making good progress. 1/3rd thru it.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

on the "toad padded leather armour" this is probably caused by it not knowing what animal to put in front of the padded leather so it takes Toad as Toad is the first animal in the raws

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the reason I was getting toad padded armor, was because I was including it in standard_materials, but not creating animal_leather creature entries... anyways, my updated mod has it implemented correctly.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8110