Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Leaders have been struck down.  (Read 1508 times)

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Leaders have been struck down.
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:02:04 pm »

In three separate forts I've walked into, I look for the lord/lady only to find a fresh corpse on the ground. After questioning the other inhabitants, I find that they've died of old age, apparently right before I get there.

My working theory is that these leaders have a preset age limit and, once I started this adventurer, it kicked in and all these guys kicked the bucket. I wonder if I do a fortress in this same world after my adventurer retires/dies the positions will be refilled after some time. Can anyone confirm?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Leaders have been struck down.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »

Not in the current version, but in the next version the leaders will get replaced correctly.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:44 pm »

Nothing happens once world-generation ends, outside of what your forts and your adventurers do. But as mentioned, this will change next version.

There is a death age for most creatures, which is randomly set upon their creation. This age is always within their [MAXAGE:min:max], and they should die once that number is reached. If a creature doesn't have a [MAXAGE] tag, like elves and goblins, then they won't die of old age.

This can have a few quirks, though. Sometimes the death doesn't occur when it should, and the creature will continue to live until the game notices them. Since history stops after world generation, overly-old creatures will only be recognized once they are loaded onto the local map, which is either when they visit your fort in Fort Mode, or when you visit them as an adventurer. It seems that you have had the luck to have more elderly leaders than what I've seen.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:52 pm »

I've once recruited a band of soldiers into my party only for them all to instantly and simultaneously drop dead after leaving the travel map and taking three steps with them. The times at which people die of old age seem to be a bit weird at the moment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:24:15 pm »

Should be fixed in the next version. Not that there won't be party members or civ leaders dying of old age while you are there.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:33:54 pm »

It's especially sad when you get a king in fort mode and he dies as soon as he enters the map.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:55 pm »

It doesn't help that resurrecting him will cause him to die of old age a second time.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:03:02 am »

I wonder if there would be some way to turn a dead leader into a mummy without [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]. That would be pretty cool, just turn the civ into a necrocracy.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:28:14 pm »

I've once recruited a band of soldiers into my party only for them all to instantly and simultaneously drop dead after leaving the travel map and taking three steps with them. The times at which people die of old age seem to be a bit weird at the moment.

That's what you get for recruiting your soldiers from the Don Quixote Retirement Home.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 12:43:29 am »

That's what you get for recruiting your soldiers from the Don Quixote Retirement Home.

They were experienced and eager to get outdoors again!