Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [For V.0.34.11] Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]  (Read 7495 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
[For V.0.34.11] Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:56:41 pm »

I know that it's been a while since I've promised these, but I have created animated weapons.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8136

Currently it's just a long sword, axe, spear, and war hammer. They all have a gem within their hilt that, if destroyed, will kill the weapon. Separating their handle from their offensive end will also cause death. They all have a base skill with their weapon, as well as a minor skill in dodging, and can be tamed and war-trained with no risk of reverting to wild.

They will not be found in the wild, or as domesticated pets of civilizations. However, they can be created at an Animator's Forge. You will need to create the four components of a weapon; the handle, the crossguard, the weapon's "head", and the gem that will give the weapon life. When these components are added together within the workshop, they will spawn the weapon of your choice. The weapons can be slaughtered to reclaim the materials that were used to create them.

Weapons currently come in three materials, which are iron, steel, and adamantine.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

If anyone finds any bugs or has any ideas or suggestions that they would like to see, feel free to let me know.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:17:33 am by BlackFlyme »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Living Weapons - [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:16 am »

But so far it seems that the biggest problems are their size, which leads to them getting knocked away easily, and the fact that the gems that grant them life are both brittle and easy to target.
Being able to easily knock away a floating sword sounds fairly realistic to me.
So does having the gem being brittle, but it probably should be harder to target.
Have you considered adding another body part such as a guard, and having the gem be inside it with the [UNDER_PRESSURE] tag, so you would break open the guard, and expose the gem?

Overall, I like the idea.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:23:11 am »

But so far it seems that the biggest problems are their size, which leads to them getting knocked away easily, and the fact that the gems that grant them life are both brittle and easy to target.
Being able to easily knock away a floating sword sounds fairly realistic to me.
So does having the gem being brittle, but it probably should be harder to target.
Have you considered adding another body part such as a guard, and having the gem be inside it with the [UNDER_PRESSURE] tag, so you would break open the guard, and expose the gem?

Overall, I like the idea.

I've changed it from [EMBEDDED] to [INTERNAL] before posting it, which should make it harder to damage, now that it isn't exposed to the surface. Though I could easily add a guard to improve the gem's defenses by adding a body detail plan that wraps the guard around the handle.

I'm not sure how [UNDER_PRESSURE] could work though, since that may make the gem trail behind the weapon like guts, unless there is some way to control the trail.

Glad to hear you like it!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:40:25 am »

This is really cool! I'm kind've surprised living weapons haven't been added as a small mod yet, frankly!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:10:06 am by Seriyu »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:33:53 am »

I am thinking about doing some comparison testing between it, and a human of similar skill holding a weapon, to see if things need to be balanced.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:01 am »

dangit i thought someone wa working on actually living weapons , like ones that you hold and they grow or wutever
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:50 am »

I'd be quite interested in working on this and adding it to a workshop, so that dwarves can build/animate these creatures. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:18 am »

I'd be quite interested in working on this and adding it to a workshop, so that dwarves can build/animate these creatures. :)

I have made inorganics that should spawn them, but I'm not 100% certain as to how spawnunit works, so they are mostly based off of what I've seen in other mods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do these appear to be correct?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:05 am »

That looks like the inorganics I use for the Better Dorfs arena, so it should work. Only one way to find out ;)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 02:05:26 pm »

If your script is called spawnunits and you do have a STONE_VAPOR_TEMPLATE in your material templates, then yes.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »

It seems to work. I just made a test reaction that has all four stones as the product, and they all spawned properly. Now that they have [PET] and [TRAINABLE_WAR], they should be usable. It's a bit annoying that I have to save, quit, then reload the game for the weapons to be recognized in the animal screen though.

I've also added a body detail plan that has the guard cover half the handle, which should give it some more defense. I'll increase the coverage if I find that too many hits are still getting through.

I'll look into getting an account on DFFD set up, but for some reason I'm not getting the confirmation e-mail. I may have to try with a different e-mail address, or contact the admin.

E: Tried using a new email address, as well as resetting the password on the older account, and haven't got an e-mail from either. I may have to get in contact with the admin.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:52:28 pm by BlackFlyme »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »

I did some work on the creature. I will upload the changes, but encountered one problem:

I tried adding a ebo-item, so if you butcher the weapon, you get the weapon back... but I tried all 4 body parts, and it seems that none of them is large enough to spawn the item. Like a cavy that gives no meat, because its too small.

I used:
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:CROSSGUARD] (with one of the four HANDLE, CROSSGUARD, HEAD or GEM)
   [EBO_ITEM:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:IRON]

Do you think it will work with some trick?

I added castes for iron, steel and adamantine, adjusted the skills fitting to the castes, added an itemcorpse, a small ruby, and raised the bodysize. 3500 = ~ 3,5kg bodyweight, which I think is fitting for a long sword. I used 4000 for the axe, 3500 for the spear and 5000 for the hammer. I also added pet-values, which were missing.

Hope you can use those. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:50:19 pm by Meph »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 04:52:14 pm »

I don't think EBO checks for body volume, per se. I use it to give special tiny pelts to vermin creatures like stoats and those work fine.

Could the fact that there's absolutely no living tissue play havoc with the butchery eligibility? ITEMCORPSE might be a better option if it does.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 05:03:43 pm »

I've just did a quick test to see for myself, by giving them an EBO.

It works, but it leaves me with "animated weapon iron", which I can't do anything with.

Thanks for filling out the castes, by the way, it saved me quite a bit of trouble.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »

Well, if you figure it out, you can add it, otherwise leave it. I never worked with EBO items before I have to confess.

And here some graphics:

Edit: I just remember that caste specific graphics dont work... so... ehm... yeah. They would work if the creatures are splitted into one creature file for each weapon type.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:46:56 pm by Meph »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4