Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [For V.0.34.11] Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]  (Read 7496 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Living Weapons - [WIP]
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 06:02:41 pm »

Would it not be possible to give each caste a different natural skill, thereby changing their profession?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 06:04:03 pm »

Profession graphics only work on civ members, if I am not wrong. Invaders, fort members... not on pets.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 06:05:39 pm »

Ah, ok. Guess that won't work then :(
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »

I've got the EBOs sorted out, but it seems that you would get an excessive amount of metal bars back from it. I'm going make a series of tools that function as individual parts of the weapon instead. These will be the new EBOs, and serve as reagents in the spawning reactions.

I'll split the weapons into separate creatures, and I'll see what I can do about the graphics, but I've never actually modded them before.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »

The v.0 animated sword actually hits with the following properties:

contact area of 7 when stabbing (long swords have 50)
contact area of 152 when slashing (long swords have 60000)*
contact area of 4 when pommel strike (long swords have 100)
about 5x as much damage (momentum) as a sword strike from a human holding an iron longsword

I suspect the other ones are also a bit fast and pointy.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »

That's interesting. I would have thought that with a similar size to their item counterparts, they would have similar combat capabilities.

Though it will need to be weakened if it's dealing 5x more damage than an average sword.

Do you have any suggestions for better attack values than the ones I currently have?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:17 pm »

I was about to say something about the contact/penetration tokens not being a straight values in cm(2) like in the weapon raws, but rather a percentage of the bodypart's total size. To top it off, all of these tokens default to 100.

CONTACT_AREA_PERC:60000 is a pretty overkill 600x multiplier. VELOCITY_MULTIPLIER:1250 increases the speed of the sword swing to 12 and a half times the normal.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:17 pm »

Wow. I was way off. I haven't actually done much with creature attacks before, I thought they would be similar to weapons.

I'm going to trim a few zeroes off of everything for now, and tomorrow I'll work out better numbers for the attacks, it's too late at night for me to do much more at the moment.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 09:58:17 am »

... VELOCITY_MULTIPLIER:1250 increases the speed of the sword swing to 12 and a half times the normal.

1.25 x normal, because the default for VELOCITY_MULTIPLIER is 1000.

I can look into finding balanced values for the v0.3/0.2 weapons, but I can't start doing that until this evening.

I think I'll increase the size of the weapon "creature" and decrease velocity if necessary.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 11:11:49 am »

Are they supposed to have the exact same values as the weapons themselves? Because combat damage is influenced greatly by the strength and agility of the user, and these weapon-creatures are tiny and easily bested in combat, because of their weight and size.

If you take the image I posted, call it weapons.png, and move it into your graphics folder, and add this file: graphics_weapons.txt, you will have fitting sprites. It doesnt respect the colors, but you can do that with caste specific colors...
Code: [Select]
graphics_weapons

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:WEAPONS]
[FILE:weapons.png]
[TILE_DIM:80:48]
[PAGE_DIM:5:3]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:ANIMATED_SWORD]
        [DEFAULT:WEAPONS:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:ANIMATED_AXE]
        [DEFAULT:WEAPONS:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:ANIMATED_HAMMER]
        [DEFAULT:WEAPONS:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:ANIMATED_SPEAR]
        [DEFAULT:WEAPONS:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:52:56 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »

I've set up the graphics, and set some caste colours.

I think they look pretty good. Much thanks for the graphics.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »

No problem. :)

I did write my own little version by now. I do a few things differently, I dont add the new gem and new tools for example. I combine weapon+diamond for an animated weapon, and I made the iron version common_domestic, that way people can try them out, before they try to build their own, better steel/adam versions. I also added it to my existing magic-buildings. Once butchered, they leave the diamond and a metal bar.

Ingame they show as "competend hammerman" and so forth, so as a little finishing touch, these work quite nice:

[PROFESSION_NAME:HAMMERMAN:hammer:hammer]
[PROFESSION_NAME:SPEARMAN:spear:spear]
[PROFESSION_NAME:AXEMAN:axe:axe]
[PROFESSION_NAME:SWORDSMAN:sword:sword]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_HAMMERMAN:lord of hammers:lords of hammers]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_SPEARMAN:lord of spears:lords of spears]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_AXEMAN:lord of axes:lords of axes]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_SWORDSMAN:lord of swords:lords of swords]

Edit: Upon being butchered, I also get some "casts(2)", which dont do anything. Refuse?

Double bladed axe. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:24:50 pm by Meph »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 04:15:18 pm »

I'm not too sure what can be done about the leftover metal. But I've just butchered a steel sword, and it left behind iron. I'll check the tissues to see what's going on with that. I'm guessing that it may be because there are several different tissues with the same name, so only the first is used.

On the bright side, the scrap metal is brought to the refuse stockpile, so at least it can be managed in case there isn't a fix.

I suppose the EBO's aren't going to see much use since it just occurred to me that the weapons will only be slaughtered if you set them to slaughter or if invaders bring a few weapons of their own. Do you think I should change it to death items instead?

Also, I've just started a test embark, and have been able to make weapons almost right away. With a lucky embark you could get access to more than enough metal and gems to create your own personal army before the first year is over. I guess I should find a way to make it harder to create the tools.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »

I think ebo-items, aka butchering, means a dwarf is taking the item apart. So you get what you put in... whatever you need to create such a animated weapon, you get back. But if its killed in combat, you should get scrap metal, because its broken and dented. Maybe the gem survives.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »

Either EBO items and itemcorpses conflict with each other or I have done something wrong.

After adding in a damaged gem as a death item, I stopped receiving the EBOs from slaughtering the weapons. Curiously, if I were to butcher a body part that was severed, it would return the EBOs like normal.

E: I decided to remove the [ITEMCORPSE], as well as the "broken gem" tool and its repair reaction.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:00:06 pm by BlackFlyme »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4