Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [For V.0.34.11] Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]  (Read 7464 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 04:15:39 am »

This version of the v0 sword is roughly balanced with some human holding a sword:

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:SWORD]
[CASTE_NAME:animated sword:animated swords:animated sword]
[DESCRIPTION:An animate blade brought to life through magic. These weapons are often created for defensive purposes.]

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:7000]
[BODYGLOSS:HILT]
[BODYGLOSS:BLADE]

[NATURAL_SKILL:SWORD:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:2]

the actual size of the body is 700, because the game divides the number entered by 10
the actual size of the blade is probably 604
the default contact area of the blade is 604^(2/3)=71
the stabbing contact area is therefore 71*0.70=50
the slashing contact area is therefore 71*10=714 (so it must be calculating 71.4)
can't increase contact area by more than 10x
default penetration is the blade size, ~604
default momentum is ~9000, so reduce velocity quite a bit

[ATTACK:SLASH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:OFFENSE]
[ATTACK_SKILL:SWORD]
[ATTACK_VERB:slash:slashes]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:1000]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:15]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]

[ATTACK:STAB:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:OFFENSE]
[ATTACK_VERB:stab:stabs]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:70]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:12]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]

[ATTACK:SLAP:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:OFFENSE]
[ATTACK_VERB:slap:slaps]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:1000]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:15]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

[ATTACK:STRIKE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:HANDLE]
[ATTACK_VERB:strike:strikes]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:12]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

The sword performs reasonably well, and can the iron blade can cause decent wounds through copper armor. It still has enough momentum to sever limbs and heads, even with the heavy velocity nerf. Creature body parts are not slowed by their own weight when calculating swing speed, unlike held weapons.

Opponents like to charge the sword and knock it back a tile - the sword is between cat and dog size in BODY_SIZE volume. It weighs 56 urists - it would weigh 5.6 urists at the original BODY_SIZE of 700.

The sword can get "You have melted" deaths when fighting dragons in the arena or by jumping into magma.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:36 pm »

Soul Calibur mod incoming...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 06:02:21 am »

I made lots more of them for masterwork btw, including graphics... sledgehammers, scythes, scourges...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 06:42:45 am »

Soul Calibur mod incoming...
WE HAVE A NECRO

I never really found much use for them in orc fortress. Not when there are spare wartrained shaggy mumaks ready for use instead. MUAHAHAHAHA no. One time an animated ironbone sword was useful to me was it (floated?) out to meet an antire siege and dodged into a river. The siegers all drowned
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 12:09:02 am »

Question: the parts have to be the same type, right? Like if I had two parts of iron, but a blade of adamantine, would they work? Also, does this still work? I'd love to look into the files and make multi-part weapons. Could I make, say, a golem like creature through this? OH THE POTENTIAL!!!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16:02 am »

It does not presently work. It worked in version 34.11, but you will have to wait until DFHack's spawnunit is up to date before this mod or others like it that rely on DFHack become usable again. Plus the weapons would need to be updated to the new gait system, though I'm not really sure how quickly a floating sword would move.

You can define individual parts with individual tissues if you would like. If you want, feel free to go into the files and poke around. Use whatever you want from it; it is a public mod.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [For V.0.34.11] Living Weapons - V.0.5 [WIP]
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:05 am »

Ah, DFHack dependant. I thought you worked together some amazing token skill to mix crafting and hatching or birth to make them. I didn't know DFHack could even do that. I'll look into it.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:50 am »

Ffffuuu, I could've sworn I saw this on New Replies and thought it was new.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »

Ah, DFHack dependant. I thought you worked together some amazing token skill to mix crafting and hatching or birth to make them. I didn't know DFHack could even do that. I'll look into it.

Technically you could have floating weapons as wild animals. They could also be used as an unconventional megabeast.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 08:14:15 pm »

Well yeah, that'd actually be really interesting, but I was mostly interested in making a workshop to make golemns. There is a way, with making the workshop produce a reaction that boils and turns the dwarf into the golemn, but this sacrifices a dwarf. One workaround would be the syndrome cloud, dwarves and all other civilizations immune, but keep restrained animals nearby. Still, I'd rather not. I do like the potential to make a multi-piece weapon though. Make the handle, pommel, hand guard, then blade, and make some really great sword. Metal intensive though. One brilliant steel, broad sword? versus ten steel short swords.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 03:46:00 am »

You are describing the very first feature I wrote for Masterwork, almost 3 years ago. :D It has a golemforge, turning dwarves into golems. 21 types, 7 materials x 3 weapons, hammer, sword, spear.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 03:50:55 am »

I've never really thought of using the masterwork mod. I've read about it, and watched a friend play it, but it doesn't really hit me right. That golem forge though sounds kind of like what I'm trying for, but I'd really like it to not sacrifice dwarves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 03:54:25 am »

If you want to create new units, its either dfhack or transforming the worker. Or transforming pets, which results in pet golems. Mind that if you make golems normal pets, migrants will arrive with free golems sometimes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 03:56:29 am »

*defeated sigh* I guess you're right... You'd probably know a few hundred times more stuff than me about modding anyway. Guess I'll make my golem forge and make the syndrome.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 05:16:59 am »

I made the pet golems immobile, that way migrants dont bring them, and gave dwarves a way to remove immobile from them. This way you can still trade for them, but you wont get free ones. Btw, if your transformed golem-dwarves want to be military members, they must be dwarven vastes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4