Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change the barrel capacity  (Read 944 times)

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Change the barrel capacity
« on: November 11, 2013, 07:27:52 pm »

First of all I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, please move this topic if so.

I have the to all of you known problem with the "Can't find plump helmet spawn" spam, that's caused when a dwarf picks up the whole barrel with seeds. If found a few solutions, but I figured why not like this:
Change the capacity of a barrel to maybe 20 seeds, so that two dwarfs can pick up two barrels that aren't heavy and both of them are happy because the can plant at the same time. Now, I've been googling for a solution, but couldn't find it. So I decided to go through a few RAW files, but couldn't find it either. Does anybody know if it is even possible? I'm willing to do anything necessary :D

Thanks in advance
Don't Panic!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change the barrel capacity
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »

I think barrels and pots are currently hardcoded. If they are then they're pretty much beyond modding.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:48:34 pm »

Barrels are old and hardcoded. Large pots aren't.

Just store your seeds without barrels.

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:56:43 pm »

Thanks
Don't Panic!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »

The problem is that seeds are not stored directly in barrels or pots - they are only stored in bags (where one bag can hold 300 seeds, which is beyond the maximum number you can normally accumulate before plants stop producing them when eaten/processed), and those bags are what get stored in barrels.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:26:10 am »

The problem is that seeds are not stored directly in barrels or pots - they are only stored in bags (where one bag can hold 300 seeds, which is beyond the maximum number you can normally accumulate before plants stop producing them when eaten/processed), and those bags are what get stored in barrels.

Oh, ok I get it now, but is it then possible to change the bag cap or is it the same as with barrels and pots?
Don't Panic!

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:12 am »

bag cap cannot be set on barrels/pots.

Just have your seed stockpile set to no barrels.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:00:08 pm »

If we're going to imagine theoretical solutions to this problem, why not larger seeds? Somewhere in the bowels of the compiled code, there is a integer describing how big a seed is. One possibility is that there's a hard-coded number of seeds per bag (100). The other is that is the capacity of the bag (3000) divided by 100 (seeds/bag), which gives us 30 as the size of the seed. Alternatively, the cap on the maximum number of seeds per type (200) could be increased, which boosts the number of bags/barrels holding them, which means it's less likely that all of them are in use at once.

Options also exist in d_init.txt to make dwarves sloppier about keeping all the seeds of one kind together.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:27:43 am »

It would be fairly trivial to write a DFHack plugin which makes seeds larger. Of course, it will also make them heavier, since there is only one "volume" property (prior to 0.34.07, there were two - a "net volume" for determining weight, and a "gross volume" for determining how much storage capacity it uses up).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.