Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Braaaaaiiiinsss.... Braaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnsss....

By the holy swelling of Armok's Prostate, this is unfair!
- 0 (0%)
No, really - my miner's head was ripped off before he even started digging!
- 0 (0%)
OHMIGERD WHY OH WHY OH WHY
- 0 (0%)
Your sanity has crumbled to its end
- 0 (0%)
I'm a masochist.  This is the perfect spot for a new mountainhome!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 16, 2013, 07:34:02 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor [Players and Judges Needed!]  (Read 12865 times)

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor [Players and Judges Needed!]
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 09:09:46 pm »

Immediately upon unpausing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm doomed.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 09:19:37 pm »

Starting now.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:02 pm »

Immediately upon unpausing:
I'm doomed.

Well, on the bright side, scoring shouldn't be too much of an issue for us!

This will be more fun that I thought!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 09:42:54 pm »

So far, no deaths. Dug out a shelter. Hit an aquifer. Experiencing food shortages. Things are going to get much much worse I'm expecting.

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:42 pm »

Good news! You won't have to wait until next Sunday for an update.

My initial plan was to have my miner carve out a quick shelter while the rest of the dwarves gathered some plants. But as I said, my expedition was immediately welcomed by a flock of giant zombie sparrows:
Okay, maybe I could still salvage this. We just needed a distraction to get everyone to safety. I picked out the most doomed-looking dwarf and had him run away from the rest of the group.
Unfortunately, the zombies killed him even quicker than I expected, and my dwarves scattered everywhere. Things were looking pretty grim, but my miner was by this point far enough underground that I thought those hell-spawned birds might not follow him. Even if I lost everyone else, I've played solo forts before and I could probably get by with just this one. As soon as I got my hands on some stone, I could build a door to keep the undead out, then wait for the right moment to go plant gathering...
You can guess how things went from here.
Only Cerol the expedition leader managed to keep a level head. She crept up on one of the monsters as it chewed on the remains of my militia commander and punched it in the back of the head again and again. Finally, the rotten corpse collapsed under her assault.

It was a meaningless victory. There were still six more sparrow corpses left. Nearby, the miner emerged from the side of the hill, wet and dejected. They locked eyes, and without a word, both knew what the other was thinking. This world was never meant for dwarves.

Welp, that's that. Do I get any points for a kill list one name long?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »

How about this:

At the end, all participating players vote for the best fortress, and you cannot vote for your own.  Plurality wins, and we can give each other awards for interesting achievements if so desired.

I find the writing and sharing of descriptions is often the best part of DF, so I really could care less about trying to win an arbitrary points system.

I could see many scenarios where a player dying gloriously or gruesomely could be the best fort, if the death involved the failure of a particularly dwarfy idea.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »

Howdy folks.  Woob poked me to drop by. :)

This looks amusing.  As I'm finally getting my personal concerns in order, I'm able to get back into being Dwarfy... which means I'll be banging away at FurnaceClans again once I get Pinnacle purchased.  So, since I've already got my own dwarf project, I'll volunteer for being a judge, if you'll have me.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:06 pm »

Okay, I took a look at the embark again and this doesn't work.  At all.  In all likelyhood, there will be no way to get stone, which means no way to make a forge, which means no way to cut down trees, and to get any of these things requires a trade depot, which requires three logs, which means no door, and no door plus evil biome is death.  Damn it.  I'm screwed.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 02:36:46 pm »

Okay, I took a look at the embark again and this doesn't work.  At all.  In all likelyhood, there will be no way to get stone, which means no way to make a forge, which means no way to cut down trees, and to get any of these things requires a trade depot, which requires three logs, which means no door, and no door plus evil biome is death.  Damn it.  I'm screwed.

Fast and easy for trees: You have 3 logs in the wagon.  1 for a carp shop, another for a training axe.  You now have trees.

Avoiding the immediate undead assault is another issue.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

Derp de derp.  Forgot about that.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 03:41:26 pm »

We have arrived.
This is an area entirely unsuited to dwarven habitation.  There are rumors of undead stalking the hillsides, but we will endure.  Several of us get to work picking plants, the others build us a small bunker to hide us from the undead.
We dig out a storage area for the wood we must gather.  Unfortunately, there is an aquifer directly beneath us.  This will be problematic.
Well that sucks.  Our carpenter was injured and is now throwing tantrums.
And then the livestock got torn apart.  Fabulous.  I hate this place.  On top of all this, all of our dwarfs go hungry because the undead are keeping us inside.
They are all dead.  All but me.  And the carpenter, but he is too injured to work and will likely die of starvation soon anyways.
I hate this place.   
I am the only one left.  The carpenter went beserk.  I cannot leave, they will kill me on the way out.  I must try to survive.  Alone.

At this point, the last surviving dwarf was killed by a heron corpse.  Literally right after I wrote that. I'd post pictures, but nothing spectacular happened.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 04:12:22 pm »

Howdy folks.  Woob poked me to drop by. :)

This looks amusing.  As I'm finally getting my personal concerns in order, I'm able to get back into being Dwarfy... which means I'll be banging away at FurnaceClans again once I get Pinnacle purchased.  So, since I've already got my own dwarf project, I'll volunteer for being a judge, if you'll have me.

Thanks for poppin' in!  Of course we'd be glad to have you - the more impartial judges there are, laughing at our failures, the less likely the results are to be biased.  Plus, if ya wanna plug FurnaceClans, or any of your minecart/machinery tutorials here on Bay12, I'm sure those who may be having difficulty with this challenge would appreciate it.

Now, on to my Mid-Year report:

5th Hematite.  Things have finally settled down enough for us to grab a couple plants and brew them.  We also butcher our draft animals: they're far more useful in our bellies than in our hidey-hole.

Spoiler: desperate measures (click to show/hide)

puutuulion dug out a big space, and we dug out a small ramp to the surface when the coast was clear; just long enough to chop some trees.  Unfortunately, we weren't quite quick enough getting back in to save our pair of brave recruits from a Louse Woman Corpse:

Spoiler: battle notes (click to show/hide)

Since then, we've managed to gather a few more logs, enough to build a screw pump, a meager dining room, and a door.  Now to take on the aquifer!

Spoiler: "Fortress" tour (click to show/hide)

End Update 1
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »

WK's Juding rules (for this competition):

I disagree with puutuulion a bit, so I propose the following:

Mountainhome (WITH king for 1 year): Win.
2+ at MountainHome:
First Tiebreaker: # of starting 7 still alive (barring death by natural causes)
Second Tiebreaker: Value of fort 1 year after king's arrival

Otherwise:
1) Highest sustained population at peak of fortress.

2) Value of goods left behind for adventurers

3) Difficulty increments will provide multiplier:
a) Trapping and usage of FBs for defenses and/or production
b) HFS involvement
(Values undetermined and left to whatever floats through my ugly brain at the time)

4) Stories.  I want fun stories to read.  Make me interested in your fort.  Keep them short though, I don't want to read ameteur novels, either.

5) Cool factor.  This is... vague.  Death by awesome is just as cool as making a throne to Armok.

That... yeah, well, I dunno.  A starting point anyway.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 08:37:37 pm »

Hmm... Sounds exciting. I would like to sign up. However, I don't have winrar, so could you post a zipped version as well?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 08:47:44 pm »

Hmm... Sounds exciting. I would like to sign up. However, I don't have winrar, so could you post a zipped version as well?

No problem. 

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8139
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8