Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Saltybet. Always bet 64.  (Read 31836 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Saltybet. Always bet 64.
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2013, 11:56:46 pm »

So I'm considering drinking the kool-aid salt and sitting down for a viewing- what's a scamming, and what do I need to know about the site?
Scam/timer-scam: Deliberately waiting out the clock. At that point, character with most of health bar left wins. Some characters start do with attacks that make them invincible (or fly off into the sky), essentially freezing the health bars as they are. Amusingly, they might do this when have less health, guaranteeing themselves to lose.
Real: In reference to a player, either good or genuine; genuine meaning that of the possibly numerous alternate versions of a character, this is a good one. In reference to a match, close, even.
Fake: Lame. Shitty.
Mexi-, Mexican: This is an odd one. This means something like super, hyper, extreme. It denotes a particularly extreme quality, ie, "He's got some serious mexihealth", as in a lot of health, or "Dat Mexibeam", as in a powerful beam attack (I'm thinking DBZ).
Always bet Waifu/Never bet DBZ/Sometimes bet X: A few common phrases. There are a lot of powerful female characters (Tou-hou in particular), and DBZ has a lot of potatoes.
Goo-Goo: Not 100% on this, but it would seem to reference the most powerful characters.

Advice: Chat lies. A lot. Usually before betting ends.
Here are emotes: [size=78%]http://twitchemotes.com/[/size]
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:09 am »

So I'm considering drinking the kool-aid salt and sitting down for a viewing- what's a scamming, and what do I need to know about the site?

I'll give as much help as I can because boredom.

Spoiler: Limited glossary (click to show/hide)

And remember, always never sometimes trust chat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:11 am »

Scam/timer-scam: Deliberately waiting out the clock. At that point, character with most of health bar left wins. Some characters start do with attacks that make them invincible (or fly off into the sky), essentially freezing the health bars as they are. Amusingly, they might do this when have less health, guaranteeing themselves to lose.
Real: In reference to a player, either good or genuine; genuine meaning that of the possibly numerous alternate versions of a character, this is a good one. In reference to a match, close, even.
Mexi-, Mexican: This is an odd one. This means something like super, hyper, extreme. It denotes a particularly extreme quality, ie, "He's got some serious mexihealth", as in a lot of health, or "Dat Mexibeam", as in a powerful beam attack (I'm thinking DBZ).
Always bet Waifu/Never bet DBZ/Sometimes bet X: A few common phrases. There are a lot of powerful female characters (Tou-hou in particular), and DBZ has a lot of potatoes.
Goo-Goo: Not 100% on this, but it would seem to reference the most powerful characters.

Isn't Goo-Goo the guy that makes those really bizarre characters that look like something out of a 70s Japanese tv show?  They usually kill in one hit, while being near impossible to damage, and have zero animation...

Ah... Ninja'd
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2013, 12:06:43 am »

Isn't Goo-Goo the guy that makes those really bizarre characters that look like something out of a 70s Japanese tv show?  They usually kill in one hit, while being near impossible to damage...

Somewhat correct. The dude made a ton of characters like that, but that description isn't entirely accurate. Some are nigh-unhittable, and some have OHKOs, but largely the best description is that they get by on bullshit, no two exactly alike. Most of them have some sort of setup that makes them nearly impossible to hit combined with high damage, but they're certainly killable. Other god tiers can often take them out.

Hell, there was that Rider upset against Lafrias (or w/e); she rushed him down and stuck him in a corner with her hair attack every round, and he only connected with one full attack the entire match. There was also the Piyokong upset against Barbados where they literally had a contest to see who had better invincibility frames; every round timed out.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2013, 12:11:10 am »

Googoo references the stuff made by some critter that goes by Googoo64. Notables include... a lot. Like Doruge, Sppaman, Magma... there's a pretty sizable list, most high tier, some not. They've all got particularities that tend to make them pretty recognizable after you've seen a few, and they tend to be ridiculous for... varying reasons. It's not uncommon for them to be a treat to watch, though. For all the animation on 'em tends to be... spotty... they can be pretty neat. There's quite a bit of variation between the lot of 'em, honestly. Ninja'd, of course.

Mexican also tends to imply that the character would be otherwise trash or considerably weaker without their exaggerated qualities, usually because of utterly terrible AI. Th'term's more than a little racist (and also somewhat inaccurate, iirc), and originated, s'far as I'm aware, primarily due to a glut of DBZ (and a couple other series) characters exemplifying the trait (High stats, low programming, general low quality) coming from south/central american countries. And, Salty's chat constituents being what they are, a fair number can't tell spanish from portuguese even if they're repeatedly told something is one or the other and thus everything vaguely spanish sounding (including portuguese and occasionally italian) are/were lumped under "Mexican".

Incidentally, another bar to keep an eye out for is Burst AC (Or... AC Burst, one of the two). They tend to be pretty notable because they spend the betting period beating the everloving hell out of their opponent. The kings and queens of disrespect*, basically, and beyond that tend to have excellent (very aggressive) AI and are overall solid, ranging from pretty solid to incredibly so. Great fun, those critters.

*Disrespect being the AI going bugnuts during the betting period and starting the fight early. Especially glorious is when both sides do you and you get an extra round before the fight :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:39 am »

There's not much TO know. Sign up, you start with 400 salty dollars, bet on fights and try to make money. Scamming is when a character gets a health lead and then becomes unable to be or do damage, effectively ending the time until the fight ends (70 seconds usually, at the end if neither person is dead "Thanks Obama" plays and whoever has more health wins. If they're even it's a draw.). Frequently characters that do this wind up scamming themselves because they use whatever their scam skill is when they're down on health, and chat will freak out about self-scamming. It's usually quite a sight to see, and you'll learn to recognize the characters prone to it. One of my favorites is (I think it is) Johnny Cage, who has not 1, but 2 scams. One where he punches a person so hard the go up and don't come back down, the other where he just punches them into a coma.

Other terms/stuff to know: A potato is a character who has little to no AI. Matches between 2 potatos are probably the most boring thing you'll see, and they go on FOREVER because they never attack so it always Obamas out.

Googoos (Not to be confused with Jojos) are characters made by one particularly prolific creator who... has eclectic tastes, and doesn't animate worth shit, and tends to make really strong characters. You'll know if a character is a googoo or not if it has an awkwardly out of price sprite, and just skips from their normal frame to an attack frame and does a ton of damage.

Mexi____ is a term for when something has really absurd numbers, like mexihealth where they just don't die or mexibeams which do absurd damage. The term comes from the fact that a lot of characters, usually characters from DBZ, were made from people form Brazil who couldn't write AI to save their lives so instead they just gave characters absurd damage and health and the like, and "All mexicans are the same" so instead of Br___ it's mexi___. Yes it's a crude joke, yes it's still mildly entertaining.

Also, the chat is 90% of the fun. If you can't read it/participate in it, you're missing out.

Ninjad but meh

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:52 am »

Waifu: Same meaning as elsewhere (a bastardization of "wife"), albeit used very jokingly, used to refer to any female character (including the dinosaurs) and more than a few pretty male ones.

Alternate interpretation
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2013, 12:15:18 am »

Also, sometimes on Thursday the Shaker Classic happens. It's about 9 PM default forum time, if I remember correctly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2013, 12:16:06 am »

Waifu: Same meaning as elsewhere (a bastardization of "wife"), albeit used very jokingly, used to refer to any female character (including the dinosaurs) and more than a few pretty male ones.

Alternate interpretation
Did not need that trap this late at night.

@Frumple: I'm pretty clear that the original joke was self-aware; people knew that they were originating in Brazil and deliberately went "lel mexican". Of course, with the chat is as it is these days, it's much easier to believe that it was just ignorant racism. For once we have something that has honestly gotten worse, rather than just presenting the impression of degradation. Gorram chat.

3. Run Resize Enable

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2013, 01:18:39 am »

If we're discussing terminology does anyone want to explain what a "jobber" is?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2013, 01:27:47 am »

A character who often loses despite hype.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2013, 01:34:05 am »

"Jobber" is synonymous with "Jabroni", both are wrestling terms for someone who is paid to get in the ring and lose.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:15 am »

What about dreams? I hear people say it a lot.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2013, 05:37:24 pm »

AH, haha! Bunch of guys didn't realize how strong creeper was and gave me pretty good odds (Creeper 3:1) I all-inned, giving me over $300 and putting me safely past 1.2k. Glorious salt.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16