- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (100%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: December 18, 2013, 03:01:39 am

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would you like Toady to spend time fixing the UI? (Poll)  (Read 7742 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would you like Toady to spend time fixing the UI? (Poll)
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:01:39 am »

As we all know the UI comes up a lot, but whether or not the idea of fixing it is popular comes up as well.

The intent of this poll is to lay the question to rest.

This isn't a thread asking Toady to fix the UI nor is it one to clarify the reasons why the UI hasn't been fixed.

To ensure the happiness of all there is to be no posting in this thread and preferably no discussion in other threads.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:09:42 am by Neonivek »

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
Re: Would you like Toady to spend time fixing the UI? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 03:11:20 am »

It doesn't need to be fixed, it works exactly as intended. Sure it's ugly and convoluted but it does its job just fine. I'd much prefer Toady works on actual features of the game than refining a UI that already works perfectly fine as is.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:00:10 am »

The UI doesn't need fixing; until the elements of the game itself are finalized, there's no way to predict what sort of UI mechanics will be necessary or useful.

If you look at the screen while playing, every shortcut is already labeled.  It's really no harder to work with than, say, NetHack.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:20:52 am »

How will this poll lay the question to rest?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:01:59 am »

I think some parts of the UI could use some fixing up, I'm mainly thinking of the military screen because that is pretty fiddly to deal with. Mainly it just needs a bit of streamlining.

Some of those tweaks that the UI plugins do would be nice as well. I'm not saying he should overhaul the UI, just that there are lots of nice tweaks that could be added.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:49 am »

It tells you all the shortcuts relevant to the current screen (in Fortress mode, anyway), making it better than, say, CataDDA.
Adventurer mode, on the other hand...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:52 am »

The only thing I would say was a "needs to change" rather than an "I would like" about the UI is mouse support.  If we could click on units and options, it would streamline the play experience about 1000%.  The amount of time spent navigating the cursor around the screen is crazy-making and hand-hurting for no added immersion/good reason.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

CakeyPirate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:30:06 am »

Nothing wrong with it, I can get to everything that I need really quickly as is. Work more on game features and adding fun imo.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:14 am »

I just think it could use a few tweaks here and there, nothing major. I'm happy with using the plugins anyway and he'll probably work on the military screen the next time he works on that.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:56:45 am »

I feel some clarification in the OP/poll could be useful. I assume you mean spend time fixing the UI now/in the near future, if not then I didn't get it at least. Regardless, some minot clarification would be helpful for people like me ^^

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:43 am »

The only thing I would say was a "needs to change" rather than an "I would like" about the UI is mouse support.  If we could click on units and options, it would streamline the play experience about 1000%.  The amount of time spent navigating the cursor around the screen is crazy-making and hand-hurting for no added immersion/good reason.

Be sure to give a try to the Mouse query plugin for DF Hack r3 , it has a nice use of the mouse in it (ability to click on items/workshops/etc... and have the appropriate menu selected), not yet the click on the menu, but still good start.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:21 am »

I voted no, it'll get it's overhaul once the substance of the game itself is pretty much done.  Just gotta be patient.

Do think it's telling though that we can't see the number of votes in the poll

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:24 am »

Honestly though, of the whole interface, the only thing that I think could actually use a bit of restructuring is the military screen as we can all attest that it is kind of clunky at times. Aside from that, the bunch of smaller tweaks such as the search capability in the stocks screen and trade screen would be nice.

As for working on the UI aesthetics, that is a LONG way off and sometimes simple is better anyway.

Armagetz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:49 am »

I'd rather him spend time beginning to lay the ground work for multithreaded processing....even if it can offload "just" pathing on other core(s)......

/lostcause

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 11:11:23 am »

I'd rather him spend time beginning to lay the ground work for multithreaded processing....even if it can offload "just" pathing on other core(s)......

/lostcause

That'd definitely be nice, but I think Toady has said in interviews that this is beyond his skill subset at this time.  Don't quote me on that though :P
Pages: [1] 2