Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 132359 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 1 - Barfight! (8/5)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:51 am »

I see.

So basically the more magical you are the more iron hates you?

And as for the "mages own blood doesn't kersplode them" does that mean that they have, as iron is present in their body at all times, developed something of a resistance to iron? Obviously not enough to stop the increasing splodeyness, but enough to resist small amounts?

Or is it just that the iron inside them "attunes" to them or something? If this is the case could a mage then "attune" large amounts of iron, using their own body as some sort of forge thing?

Also is magic in this setting something you are born with, or something anyone can learn?
Basically is this Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls type?

1) You're born with it. If you never bother to learn it, you don't become allergic to iron, since you never 'activated' your power.
2) You're attuned to your own body and everything in it. You could in theory attune some iron to your touch, but to do so you'd have to actually touch it first and the very act of doing so would probably trigger your magic tearing its way out of your body.
3) Yes. No mage could touch a lump of straight iron, but weak mages could handle haematite/magnetite and they'd quickly develop a mild fever, but a strong mage would not like the results.
4) Magic is gender-neutral, before you ask.
5) While you do have a pool of 'mana', as such, your limit (as long as the moon is still lit up) is more based on how much pain you can tolerate.

The very strongest mages probably have to eat their meat halal, since the trace blood and myoglobin could potentially cause some havoc. I dunno, I didn't think that much into it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:33:51 am by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: pre-starting! (8/5)
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 09:49:44 am »

So, on a purely theoretical level, you can cause the most powerful mage in the world to explode by bleeding on them?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: pre-starting! (8/5)
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 09:58:57 am »

So, on a purely theoretical level, you can cause the most powerful mage in the world to explode by bleeding on them?

If you can get close enough? Yes. As long as your blood is inside your body and thus in contact with your spirit, no. You could throw your blood, but the resonance as the blood and mage got closer would probably flash-fry it to cinders in midair. Probably piss the mage off something fierce when it set his hair and clothes on fire, too.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

Alright, lets get this show on the road! I'm aiming to update about once every two days. Next weekend things might get dicey 'cause I'm moving countries and timezones (To Australia, GMT+8). Hopefully once I get into the swing of things I can update once a day, but I won't say I will because I learned a long time ago to not tempt fate.

Two mages: I rolled a dice to pick which skill was your weakest. GWG, I rolled a dice to pick your strong suit too: it's wind.

Everyone: I rolled dice on your starting equipment. USEC, you kinda got shafted; Your greatsword broke at some point in the past. Sorry. Turns out your cloak slightly makes up for it... you get defence vs. ice magic.

- Turn 0: Prologue -

The sun has just reached its zenith. This deep in the mountains, there's perhaps four hours of sunlight left. Most people are making every second of sunshine count, fearful that this new sun could vanish at any moment just like the old one.

Most people, but not you. You're sitting in The Silver Laurel, a small tavern just off the main street of Shas Isa. All up, there are twelve people in the tavern, four of whom are bouncers left over from the Ten Day Night. Things look to be getting a little heated between two shopkeepers that have stopped off for a midday pint or three. The bartender is watching them carefully as he endlessly polishes a mug. Tensions are still running wild after the Ten Day Night; friends trade barbed words and enemies knife each other in the back alleys. Anything could happen... and then the tension snaps.

You're not sure who threw the first punch, but all of a sudden the two shopkeepers are duking it out. The blond one has a split lip, while the other has a broken nose and scratched ear. A missed punch catches one of the Yagalians watching on and the fight quickly rolls out of control! Apart from you and four others, everyone is tussling in the centre of the tavern. Furniture is being broken and used as crude weaponry; mugs are firing from person to person in some macabre and violent version of hot potato.

Looks like your work isn't quite done.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:57:02 am by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 10:54:36 am »

Leap into action, casting up a Wisp to minimize casualties in the establishment then start trying to restrain those fighting.

((I'm assuming that Wisp makes the wounds of everyone around heal faster, not just my own. Is this correct?

Also on the "killing the most powerful mage in the world" thing, you could probably do it with a potato.
Potatoes are high in iron content, so theoretically a potato gun is a wizards worst nightmare.
That or potato soup :P))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 10:54:54 am »

"Oh dear. I've never been one for bar fights. I say! Everyone! Settle down!"

Tap my staff against the ground and shout to get people's attention.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:32 am »

The very strongest mages probably have to eat their meat halal, since the trace blood and myoglobin could potentially cause some havoc. I dunno, I didn't think that much into it.
Well, if that little iron would cause havoc, there had better be some kind of nutrition spell that corrects the mineral deficiencies the mage would be getting.

Two mages: I rolled a dice to pick which skill was your weakest. GWG, I rolled a dice to pick your strong suit too: it's wind.
Oh, right, I was supposed to do that.
Wind works.

Speaking of magic, how limited am I by my spells? And do I see anyone with iron anything?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 11:01:54 am »

Baldur laughs heartily and slaps Lyu Brak on the back with a meaty fist. "That's not how you get someone's attention."

Baldur takes a deep breath and bellows "Stop that, ya louts!" at the top of his lungs.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 11:16:56 am »

((I'm assuming that Wisp makes the wounds of everyone around heal faster, not just my own. Is this correct?
The wisp works how you want it to. You can cast it party-only or indiscriminately, just declare how.

Speaking of magic, how limited am I by my spells? And do I see anyone with iron anything?

Predominantly by range. Mouse over the experience symbols under your character, the abbreviations (If you can see them, no thanks to IE :P) give you an idea. Be a little creative.

EDIT: If you're unsure, tell me what sort of spell you want to cast and I'll make a call on whether your character is skilled enough to pull it off. Of course, on a roll of 6 you just might anyway...

Well, if that little iron would cause havoc, there had better be some kind of nutrition spell that corrects the mineral deficiencies the mage would be getting.
Yeah, that does get a little silly, doesn't it? I'm going to go ahead and say that the concentration in foods is low enough that you might just warm up a bit while your body digests and incorporates it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:23:09 pm by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:23 am »

I'm referring to [Wind Spell: Alaracity]. What does that mean?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 11:59:58 am »

Ah. Well. It's nothing all that special at the moment. You can use it to leap up to the second floor of a building, for example, or to run and easily catch up to somebody. Training will hone your reflexes and allow it to increase your dodge/counter ability. For now, your mind can't quite cope with the increased speed enough to make it combat-applicable (Although I guess you could use the jump ability to navigate a battlefield easily. Just don't do it indoors.)

The ultimate form of the alacrity spell is flight. But that's a way off.

Also, I only gave you one bonus point in a magical skill 'cause your character was described as having mediocre magical power. But since you can have two bonus points (BFEL put both into life, for example) you can select another one to upgrade if you so desire.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »

((Wow, after that I feel REALLY powerful all of a sudden. Could Life Magic be used to keep oneself from sploding?

Also in the current situation I want my Wisp to be indiscriminate in its healyness. In case that wasn't clear.

Oh and since 3+ is enough for blood to effect us, what about mages with ranks in more then one element? For example if someone had 1's across the board?

And (I ask a lot of questions, sorry :P) with the spells themselves, can we only cast spells we explicitly know or can we pretty much attempt anything we can imagine?))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »

((Wow, after that I feel REALLY powerful all of a sudden. Could Life Magic be used to keep oneself from sploding?

Also in the current situation I want my Wisp to be indiscriminate in its healyness. In case that wasn't clear.

Oh and since 3+ is enough for blood to effect us, what about mages with ranks in more then one element? For example if someone had 1's across the board?

And (I ask a lot of questions, sorry :P) with the spells themselves, can we only cast spells we explicitly know or can we pretty much attempt anything we can imagine?))

Refer to my earlier post. Basically, be creative. You can cast any single-element spell you can think of, provided it fits roughly within that guide. If in doubt, I'll give you a yay or nay. You can also mix elements... For instance, water and wind magic mix to produce ice magic.

And you are powerful. But unlike GWG, your character reacts badly to iron and the price you pay is proportionally higher. If a lump of iron about the size of a potato is within a few feet of you, your character might just begin to pour out magic, setting random shit on fire, while GWG would physically have to touch it. And since life magic is magic, it will react badly to iron. You'd just kasplode faster.

And no, ones across the board represent you as being skilled in that element. You're not much more powerful, but you apply your magic much better. Two is again not all that much more powerful, but you begin to seriously understand how to work an element.

EDIT: I'm reworking the magic system. Like I said, it's still something of a prototype. I'm adding a level of power and changing how level -1 works. See below for details. Sorry for reducing your power level, BFEL.

-1 = Range is limited to internal only. Power is minor. You could increase the power of a punch, or heal a wound. Your magic can't extend beyond your own skin, however.

0 = Range is skin to skin (or in the case of the spellsword ability, your weapon). You have a rudimentary understanding of how the element works and could send someone flying with just a touch, cause an object to glow, or heal someone else. Your power is a little erratic, however, so you might just injure yourself.

1 = Range is limited to about twenty feet. Your control is typically akin to a flamethrower. You can seriously wound, but it's hard. Light magic is limited to being a flashlight (A very bright flashlight) at this point, while shadow magic is, well, shadowy.

2 = Your range is several hundred yards and you can coherently focus a ball that far. Earth magic is capable of damaging a building or reducing several square yards of rock into fine dust. You can seriously wound.

3 = Your range is line-of-sight. You can almost instantaneously induce the elemental force at your target location, although as range increases your focus and power decreases. Fire can melt rock, earth can level entire blocks and light magic can bring forth lightsabres. Shadow magic can induce mass invisibility.

4+ = things get a little ridiculous. Your magic is quickly becoming ludicrously powerful.

As soon as one of your magic skills hits 3, you're considered powerful enough that blood begins to make you kasplode.

I'll post this in the Magic section on the main page.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:19:34 pm by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:47 pm »

I think I'm just waiting on GWG's and Pancaek's actions, then we're good! Take your time, no rush. I'm updating from a potato, so I'll probably wait until free time at work tomorrow to write the turn up anyway. That gives you twelve hours or so.

Also, I updated the magic system. See the post above.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 02:39:15 pm »

Ah. Well. It's nothing all that special at the moment. You can use it to leap up to the second floor of a building, for example, or to run and easily catch up to somebody. Training will hone your reflexes and allow it to increase your dodge/counter ability. For now, your mind can't quite cope with the increased speed enough to make it combat-applicable (Although I guess you could use the jump ability to navigate a battlefield easily. Just don't do it indoors.)

The ultimate form of the alacrity spell is flight. But that's a way off.
No, I'm asking what it means that it's there. What makes me different than I would be if I didn't have that little note?

Also, I only gave you one bonus point in a magical skill 'cause your character was described as having mediocre magical power. But since you can have two bonus points (BFEL put both into life, for example) you can select another one to upgrade if you so desire.
Could I remove the penalty to life magic?
Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74