Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 134904 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 33 - The Hundred Tombs
« Reply #675 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:53 pm »

((No step three is NEVER EVER EVER HIT A TEAMATE. EVER.
I CANNOT POSSIBLY STRESS THAT HARD ENOUGH.
((ESPECIALLY NOT THE MAGES.
ESPECIALLY NOT WHEN THEY'RE IN MIDST OF THE GROUP!
))

Felice gets iron arrows --> "Hi, I'm Felice and welcome to Jackass"

((Since we're on the subject, does that "anti-magic" used by Vanda respond to iron in the same way normal magic does? If not, could it possibly "cloak" a mage and keep them from kerceasingtoremainintact? Also, could the back end of an arrow (the...quill?...feather? Fuck if I know) be enchanted without enchanting the rest? And then have the arrowhead be iron and essentially make a personal artillery shell?))

Why do you keep calling it anti-magic? It's not. It's just another form of power and stems from the same source as demons. Probably. It's at least in the same zip code. If you look hard enough, there's other forms of power. Mostly available to the non-magical people in the team. Felice's Kidzuku is actually one of these and is the... beginning step, I guess, to gaining some rather neat little abilities. But no. The crazy's power was good for one thing and one thing only: killing people.

Yes you could enchant the fletchings of an arrow, but if the arrow has an iron head then the enchantment would have to be pretty weak. Plus it's a serious pain in the ass to enchant anything. That's why people stick to weapons that'll be used more than once. Like that greatsword that we passed back in the unnamed little village on our way to this craphole. Speaking of which, I'm going to go roll and find out if Lyu survives.

Turn up in an hour or two.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:19:23 pm by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 34 - The Most Unhelpful Magic
« Reply #676 on: February 02, 2014, 08:50:52 pm »

Have fun, BFEL.

- Turn 34: The Most Unhelpful Magic -
Lyu is buried! Quick, dig him out before he suffocates…

Despite the fact that death was undeniably snuggling up to him and demanding a nice, long kiss on the lips after a hard day's work, Lyu couldn't help but keep on smiling widely underneath the rubble. The pain was quite excruciating, and he might not survive if he is not immediately helped in some way, and yet he was filled with such supreme happiness. What a worthless bag of wind that demon was. To see the moment of complete, utterly undignified panic in the thing's eyes... that was quite possibly the most priceless sensation Lyu had ever had. If he was to die now, that was surely a wonderful image to die to. That and the scream it made when its hand was torn off by the staff. It was, literally, the stuff of dreams for him.

It was also rather pleasant to know that, no matter how much peril he may have ever found himself in, the greatest danger to his continued safety was always going to be the presence of his teammates in the area. Thinking about it, Lyu just had to laugh. And he did. It was a pretty long laugh, in fact.

Laugh heartily. Try to resist being crushed.
You laugh, regardless of your predicament. And try to resist getting crushed. You fervently hope that your friends manage to dig you out. Preferably without more magic.

Aid in saving Lyu from his unfortunate situation
"That'll do it… I can't believe scurvy Pete was right, all those drunken dagger flinging competitions really did pay off," you mutter, bending to retrieve your dirk which must have been knocked loose during Ekoka’s little rock show. You idly test the edge of the dirk on your thumb; it’s lost some of its sharpness, but it’s still pretty good. Awesome. You resheathe the dirk and take a look around.

A pile of wood in the rough shape of a staff catches your eye and you begin swearing. "Where's the priest? WHERE'S THE PRIEST?! I CAN'T LET A HOLY MAN DIE, THAT'S WORSE THAN GOING OUT TO SEA WITHOUT A CAT ON BOARD!" you scream, running over to the pile of rocks. You aren’t sure, but you think you got your superstitions right. Probably. “Is he under here? Really? What the hell!” you yell and begin tugging rocks away. “Damn it, damn it, damn it!”

Baldur immediately rushes over and attempts to dig Lyu out.
"Quit panicking and start digging. Hopefully we'll get to him in time,” you growl at the panicking sailor, cuffing him over the head.

"I'm digging, I'm digging! I'm more scared than that one time we heard someone singing during our voyage!” Felice retorts, pulling another rock out of the way. You wince, having heard some sailors with truly terrible voices before.

“Just focus. Let’s find that priest.” You tug a large chunk of rubble off of the pile and toss it aside. “Just how deep did he get buried, anyway?”

Try to lie in a comfortable position without straining anything.
Use earth magic to try and manipulate the rubble off of Lyu.
You whimper and slide gratefully to the floor before doing your best to stretch out into something approximating the same duchy as a comfortable position. Your muscles inform you exactly what they think of this plan. You never knew muscles could be so rude and noisy.

You sigh and slowly let your eyes shut, hoping to rest for just a moment. But Felice and Baldur are yelling at each other. Damn it. You open one eye and regard what they’re doing, trying to piece together some logic through your slightly scrambled brain. The appear to be digging. Why? For treasure? Surely not. Besides, didn’t Lyu collect all of the tre… Ah. Right. The priest. You raise your rockhand and wave it negligently at the rubble pile, orange-brown light playing out over the ground for a second.

Felice: 5
Baldur: 6
Ekoka: 1

Felice works tirelessly, tossing rocks over his shoulder. “Hey, priest!” he yells. “You in there?” There’s a muffled response which might have been ‘yes’ and that’s enough for the sailor. he kicks several more offending bricks off of the pile and levers up a particularly large chunk of wall to reveal Lyu’s face.

“Oh thank the heavens!” the priest crows, clearly taking his first breath of fresh air in a while. “Could you see your way clear to getting the rest of this rock off?”

Baldur shoves an offending boulder off of the general region where Lyu’s legs would be. “Give us a minute here,” he tells the priest, effortlessly picking up what looks like a quarter of a ton’s worth of boulder.

What remains of the wall above Lyu’s head begins to glow a distressing orange colour. “Hurry, hurry, hurry!” Lyu orders, one fearful eye on the wall. “Oh Gods, not again!”

Without further ado, Baldur shoves the last entrapping sheet of rock aside, picks up the injured priest and slings him over one shoulder. The three of them manage to get clear just in time for the rest of the building to collapse directly on top of Lyu’s previous grave.

Baldur lays Lyu down next to Ekoka. “Bloody mages,” he swears. “How’re ya feeling?”

(2, 3, 3, 2, 2) “Gods, I hurt all over,” Lyu groans. “But it’s... only bad in two... places.” He waves his left arm gingerly. “I think... this is... broken. Lucky it’s... not smashed.” He pauses again, trying to catch his breath. “I… suspect… I have broken… ribs, too…” he smiles, which rapidly contorts into a grimace. “Okay. Lots… of sprains… Ouch.”

Lyu is pretty badly injured! His broken left arm is a clean break, easy to fix, but there’s nothing he can do with it until it’s at least set. His ribs are another matter; they’re impinging slightly on his lungs. If he moves there’s a chance that a broken rib will open a lung, probably get that strapped up right away. Otherwise, he has a -3 to all actions for the rest of this chapter (Which is not much more… like, one turn? Maybe two?) And then -1 for a while after.

(2) Ekoka gets a nosebleed.

Be vewy vewy quiet. They're hunting cripples!

I.E. STEALTHYNESS

You freeze in place, trying to remain very quiet. The Elmer Fudds pace around the burned out shell of the carriage, one still gnawing on a humerus from their fallen comrade. Ugh.

One of them spots a crow and leaps onto the hapless bird in a single blurring motion; there’s a puff of feathers and a single startled squawk. “Dessert!” the monster growls cheerfully. Oh Gods, you wish it had never spoken. None of the other monsters ever spoke and now you fervently wish they would remain so. The creature’s voice was like tar, oozing out of their mouth and gumming up your ears.

A single tiny feather floats on the breeze, gently drifting towards you. You dare not make any motion; the monster is far too close to you now. You silently will the feather to leave you the hell alone, but no dice; it stubbornly drifts into your face and tickles your nose.

Shit.

(1, 5, 3) You sneeze and it’s about as stealthy as an erupting volcano. Which you should know, since you’ve made one. Regardless, all three monsters know that there’s something around here.

One monster is something of an idiot, apparently - even for completely insane, cannabilistic murder beasts. It lopes in the opposite direction and vanishes into the trees as swiftly as it first appeared. The second one seems more cautious and is peering curiously in your general direction.

”Go,” the third monster orders in its disgustingly slimy voice. ”It came from that direction.” The monster waves a khaki hand in the direction that his first comrade ran off in. Huh.

The other one tilts its head. ”No… It was here…”

”Oh, for pity’s sake. I don’t have time for this.” There’s a flash of the purest white light and the too-curious monster slumps to the ground, his khaki skin fading to reveal he was once a Yagalian.

The final monster turns back to the bushes. ”Come on out, young Life Mage.” As you watch in astonishment, the monster begins to glow. It straightens from its gorilla-like crouch and stretches, becoming taller and thinner. And… uh… female. You weren’t expecting that. “I said come out. We don't have time for this! You need to get moving!

You feel quite confused. Standing before you is a young woman carrying a short staff that looks almost like a drop spindle, except its capped with an hourglass. Odd. Her clothing is of a style you don’t recognise, simple knee-length robes belted at the waist with what appears to be a rope woven from gold thread. A simple mantle is draped around her shoulders, decorated with more gold thread in weaving, flowing designs that threaten to ensnare the eye.

And then there’s the wings. Wait, what? Why… Wings that wouldn’t be out of place on a hawk are folded up. The feathers flutter slightly in the breeze, revealing that the wings are a chestnut brown and further patterned through with gold.

Yeah, whoever this is, she most certainly is not your ordinary mage. Is she even human?

”Don’t you recognise me, young Life Mage?”

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:44:11 am by Niccolo »
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:13 pm »

((What did my magic do?))

Rest. Attempt to stop nose bleeding. Prepare healing spell.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 02, 2014, 09:06:19 pm »

((What did my magic do?))

Rest. Attempt to stop nose bleeding. Prepare healing spell.
You misfired and tried to pull the wall down on top of them. That's why the bricks were glowing orange, the same colour as your earth magic.

I really have to be more clear about these things, I think.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 02, 2014, 09:08:40 pm »

Ah.

All I knew was that I was making the wall glow orange.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nunzillor

« Reply #680 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:20 pm »

Damn this whole magic thing is dangerous.  Honestly, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that whoever broke the moon should've finished the job and made the world a safer place.

Was magic always this dangerous or is this a result of the broken moon?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

Damn this whole magic thing is dangerous.  Honestly, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that whoever broke the moon should've finished the job and made the world a safer place.

I believe broken moon, in the intro it said that magic was easy to use before the moon got asurad pretty badly, but I'm confused as to how the moon helps the users of magic, does the moon do the same with magic as it does waves? Does it focus magic?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »

I believe broken moon, in the intro it said that magic was easy to use before the moon got asurad pretty badly, but I'm confused as to how the moon helps the users of magic, does the moon do the same with magic as it does waves? Does it focus magic?

The Moon - More specifically, the Moon Goddess - is the source of all magic in the world. Magic is literally a piece of her power that she donated to humans, partly for shenanigans but also for various philosophical reasons which don't really have a place in a game concerning graverobbing priests and wisecracking mages with terrible medical practice.

Magic was always dangerous to use - dangerous to the wielder, anyway - but it never backfired or did weird stuff. After the moon broke magic became difficult to control. In a few decades mages work the kinks out, but for now stuff is pretty crazy.
Check out my RtD!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »

So using it still had a cost, but at least it wasn't a game of Russian roulette whenever you tried to cast something, that seems cool.
Speaking of, does the sun have any part in this? Or is it just there because you know, sun.

He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 02, 2014, 09:40:17 pm »

So using it still had a cost, but at least it wasn't a game of Russian roulette whenever you tried to cast something, that seems cool.
Speaking of, does the sun have any part in this? Or is it just there because you know, sun.

Yep. Rule 1: Everything has a cost. And you literally cannot use your magic unless you accept that one day it's going to kill you.

The sun did get freaking cut in half. Basically the sun and moon were the earthly avatars for the top God and Goddess of the setting and something murdered the Sun God and plunged the world into darkness for ten days; when the lights switched back on (A new sun formed from spoilers) they discovered that some asshole had broken the moon, as well. Mages the world over suspected something had happened around day three or so, 'cause that's when magic started going fucking bananas.
Check out my RtD!

Nunzillor

« Reply #685 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »

I see.  Interesting.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:24 am »

"Well, at least I'm not quite buried alive anymore. That's nice. Did you all kill the demon, mayhap?"

Remain still. Try not to injure myself further.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 03, 2014, 08:15:15 am »

((I'm gonna guess the chick is Sariel, angel of time and fate.
I'M A LORE WHORE))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 03, 2014, 08:37:56 am »

I'M A LORE WHORE))
It's not like she's the only valid entry under "Gods" or anything. Before someone asks, some people call 'em angels, others call 'em Lesser Gods. Same thing. (On another note you've inspired me to update the God Glossary.)

Anyway, yeah. It's time for the story's meat to appear, so the odd angel's gonna drop in - although miss Sariel here will be your main contact. The angel who gave you the dragon aspect will probably make an appearance at some point too, probably to take it back when you're done.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:55:46 am by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:23 am »

I'M A LORE WHORE))
The angel who gave you the dragon aspect will probably make an appearance at some point too, probably to take it back when you're done.
((..WAIT WHUT
What do you mean gave? I EARNED that. With a little help from some drugs. Delicious nutricious narcotics.))

Thuun emerges from his hiding place, crawling toward the woman. "I do, you're Sariel aren't you? The depictions don't do you justice" FLIRTING GO!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74