Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 131997 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 1 - Barfight! (8/5)
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »

Goddamn it, I just wanted to get a cushy job until I could get back to sea. Now these arseholes have to make it hard on my last day.

"Listen to the blonde mountain of muscles, you fucks! At least have the common courtesy to go get yourselves killed outside!"

Shout above, don't directly interfere yet but be ready to defend myself.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 05:41:08 pm »

GWG: it's a unique spell. There's a few of them around. Alacrity can eventually grow into a form of enhanced reflexes, which a normal mage couldn't do. BFEL, for example, could use the wind to fling himself onto a building, but he could never even attempt to use it for increased combat ability unless you specifically taught it to him and he had skill in Wind magic. Just as you couldn't conjure a wisp unless you had decent skill in Life magic and he taught you.

As to removing the Life penalty, I don't see why not. If that's your final choice, say so and I'll update your character when I post up the next turn.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 07:21:20 pm »

Yup.

Anyways, before I post an action, let me see if I understand.

I can do (or at least attempt) any basic manipulation of any magical element or something like that, but more complex stuff requires knowledge of an appropriate spell?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 01:07:15 am »

Sorry, you posted that an hour or so after I fell asleep!

Correct. As all of your skills are level 0 your range is limited to touch-based spells, unless you roll a six. The only exception to this is your wind magic, which has a range of twenty feet.

You could attempt to throw fire, but you'd only succeed on a roll of 6; 4 or 5 would result in you just punching someone with flaming fists of fury.

Lastly: Mages, I will note if there's iron nearby. So don't worry. I mean... I won't out-and-out tell you, since your characters don't even know what iron is. You just know that, for some reason, there are certain rocks out there that make your magic go a little haywire in the same way that large amounts of blood do.

But I'm pretty sure that your characters don't know what it's like to bathe in the blood of virgins for the purpose of restoring youth. Yet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:55:54 am by Niccolo »
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 07:55:29 am »

But I'm pretty sure that your characters don't know what it's like to bathe in the blood of virgins for the purpose of restoring youth. Yet.

O.O WE CAN DO THAT??
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 10:17:04 am »

O.O WE CAN DO THAT??

If you honestly believe that I'll let you get away with trying that without some sort of grisly end for your character, go right ahead.

Welp, I'm just waiting on GWG and then the turn can go up!
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 11:15:29 am »

O.O WE CAN DO THAT??

If you honestly believe that I'll let you get away with trying that without some sort of grisly end for your character, go right ahead.

Welp, I'm just waiting on GWG and then the turn can go up!
I only really asked because that seemed weird you would suggest that after all the "Blood=Splode" stuff.

Also I just wanna say I'm REALLY excited that this stuff can go into a novel :)
Would be awesome to read some of my exploits in a published work.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:15 am »

I only really asked because that seemed weird you would suggest that after all the "Blood=Splode" stuff.

Hey, I've read enough RtDs here. Plus I know what Bay12ers are like. 'Sides, you're not all mages.

And while the overarching story certainly will be in the backstory, how much goes in depends on just how absurd our adventures get. I don't mind at all if things get completely out of hand - I'm actually rather looking forward to it. There's something appealing about presiding over a madhouse and watching it all go up in flames. I picked Maska because it's a world I know well. If I happen to learn something about it on the way? All the better.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 09:02:10 pm »

Hey, I've read enough RtDs here. Plus I know what Bay12ers are like. 'Sides, you're not all mages.

And while the overarching story certainly will be in the backstory, how much goes in depends on just how absurd our adventures get. I don't mind at all if things get completely out of hand - I'm actually rather looking forward to it. There's something appealing about presiding over a madhouse and watching it all go up in flames. I picked Maska because it's a world I know well. If I happen to learn something about it on the way? All the better.

So if we end up going insanely far outside your canon, "Oh the world wasn't supposed to transform into a platypus? DIDN'T KNOW THAT :P" then would it still be possible for some of our more sane adventures to make it into your novel?

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:16 pm »

"Alright, break it up."

Use wind magic to fling the two combatants apart...or at least separate them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2013, 12:57:13 am »

So if we end up going insanely far outside your canon, "Oh the world wasn't supposed to transform into a platypus? DIDN'T KNOW THAT :P" then would it still be possible for some of our more sane adventures to make it into your novel?

Yep and yep.

Turn's going up soon, just gotta write GWG's part.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2013, 01:22:33 am »

There were so many ways that this could have gone wrong. I planned specifically for one of you setting the bar on fire, but that didn't happen. Not sure whether I'm happy about that or not.

Why yes I do reserve the right to alter what you say based on your roll.

- Turn 1: Barfight! -

On your last day of work, two Cylenian shopkeepers got into a slugging match that quickly drew six others into it. The barkeeper is expecting you to handle it as you always do - getting them out without any deaths or broken bones.

Leap into action, casting up a Wisp to minimize casualties in the establishment then start trying to restrain those fighting.
(2) You stand up from your seat near the bar, raise your hands dramatically and cast your will forth. There's a flash of green light and you momentarily feel overjoyed, but then it fades. However, you've managed to attract the attention of (6) everyone in the bar! They don't look happy with you at all. (3) The three closest to you begin to edge closer, but don't actually attack you. They look burly.

"Oh dear. I've never been one for bar fights. I say! Everyone! Settle down!"

Tap my staff against the ground and shout to get people's attention.
"Oh dear. I've never been one for bar fights."

(3) You tap your staff gingerly on the ground. One of the Cylenians glances at you, but turns back to the mage across the brawl from you who tried to do... something. "Uh... Settle down? Please?" You ask timidly.

Baldur laughs heartily and slaps Lyu Brak on the back with a meaty fist. "That's not how you get someone's attention."

Baldur takes a deep breath and bellows "Stop that, ya louts!" at the top of his lungs.
You snort at the Greyskin's effort and slap his shoulder. "That's not how you get someone's attention."

(5) "STOP THAT, YA LOUTS! CLEAR THE HELL OUT!" You bellow. The two who instigated the fight jump and glance at you guiltily before slinking out; (2) two of the three Yagalians follow quietly.

There are four brawlers left. They are not fighting. There is one Yagalian, his ear is bleeding a little and his face is quite bruised. There are two Cylenians. One has a bloody nose, the other appears to have a dislocated shoulder. There is one Southlander who is perfectly fine. The Yagalian and two Cylenians are standing threateningly close to Lao Thuun.

Goddamn it, I just wanted to get a cushy job until I could get back to sea. Now these arseholes have to make it hard on my last day.

"Listen to the blonde mountain of muscles, you fucks! At least have the common courtesy to go get yourselves killed outside!"

Shout above, don't directly interfere yet but be ready to defend myself.
"Goddamn it, I just wanted to get a cushy job until I could get back to sea. Now these arseholes have to make it hard on my last day," you mutter under your breath.

(3) "Just listen to the blond beefcake. Please." You glare at one of the remaining four, but he doesn't seem to take the hint.

There are... uh... still four people in need of ejection from the tavern.

"Alright, break it up."

Use wind magic to fling the two combatants apart...or at least separate them.
"Alright, break it up!" You holler. The two who instigated the little brawl have already left, so instead you focus on the last four.

(4) Power surges through your hand and a gust of wind knocks the four of them apart. (5,1,4,3) The Yagalian stumbles a little and takes a step back, but is otherwise inconvenienced. The first Cylenian trips right over and falls head first into a bucket! There's a loud snapping sound and he screams. His arm is at a very odd angle now. Huh. The second Cylenian trips and falls onto his ass, but is also fine. He climbs to his feet a little shakily. The Southlander stumbles into a table and kicks his shin. Hard.

On the upside, they're not fighting each other anymore. On the downside, they look a mite unhappy. Except for the guy with a broken arm. You can't see his facial expression, since he's in a bucket. So far, the innkeeper seems happy with your methods.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2013, 06:56:33 am »

"Right. Maybe you would like to leave now, then?"

If they would not, bash the rowdiest one in the shin with my staff.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2013, 07:44:45 am »

Tend to bucketfacemcscrewyarm, as he is heavily injured and we want to avoid a lawsuit.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2013, 07:52:31 am »

Tend to bucketfacemcscrewyarm, as he is heavily injured and we want to avoid a lawsuit.

I'm not sure if lawyers have been invented yet.

Incidentally, have you ever read 8 Bit Theatre?
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74