Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 132280 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 22 - Plot?
« Reply #435 on: December 21, 2013, 01:28:20 am »

I'm not giving you Wolverine's ability on top of freaking dragon aspect. At least not for free. You're going to have to damn well work for it.
((Whoo! Game balance is in play!))

((Yes, because clearly the ability to not die of the horrible injuries my own powers and teammates constantly burden me with ruins game balance))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 21, 2013, 03:18:33 am »

((Yes, because clearly the ability to not die of the horrible injuries my own powers and teammates constantly burden me with ruins game balance))

I think the old adage "You break it, you bought it" applies. I might, if all of the moons of Saturn align, find the goodwill to give you back your legs. Since you didn't break those yourself.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 21, 2013, 09:35:13 am »

I think the old adage "You break it, you bought it" applies. I might, if all of the moons of Saturn align, find the goodwill to give you back your legs. Since you didn't break those yourself.

((What I'm saying is its hard not to break things when playing the role I am intended for in the party, that of healer, results in my blood finding the shortest route out of my veins. And not only that, but because of the mechanics of the setting I can't really fix that for myself, due to my own attempts to fix it having a better chance of just making things worse and imploding my intestines.

I'm the squishiest member of the party, because everyone else gets free heals from me, but I can't get the same without being poisoned and having my legs torn off.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 21, 2013, 10:29:47 am »

I'm not giving you Wolverine's ability on top of freaking dragon aspect. At least not for free. You're going to have to damn well work for it.
((Whoo! Game balance is in play!))
You have magic, and now a bonus to strength and fire magic, plus a draconic spirit. If you get regeneration, I want bug control.

And you could always apply some of those "free heals" to yourself. Or, for big things, focus a turn fkor a dynamic bonus.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 21, 2013, 11:03:27 am »

I'm the squishiest member of the party, because everyone else gets free heals from me, but I can't get the same without being poisoned and having my legs torn off.))
I wonder what would happen if Ekoka ever asked an Earth Spirit for help with magic?

In the original version of the story, Life magic doesn't even exist. The source of healing magic was different - and was like cocaine, sugar and booze for those demon things. If someone used healing magic, they could guarantee that any of those blasted creatures within fifty miles would get a whiff of it and come a-runnin'.

So it could always be worse. I built this magic system from scratch mostly to make sure you guys could heal yourselves without demons appearing every time you fixed up a papercut. For some reason, I am incapable of designing a happy world. I'm really not sure why.

But don't worry. You can still die, but I'll try and make sure it's not from you healing one of the others. Healing yourself is fair game, but you pretty much won't die from using your healing magic on the others. Just be ruthlessly crippled and therefore experimented upon by the other mages.

If you want to get around injuries, you've just got to be creative. For instance, if you were to happen to take some metal from the deceased carriage (Thus helping me continue my vendetta against the thing) you could probably get creative with some earth magic. The key to this magic system, which I probably shouldn't give away but I'm going to anyway because I find the possibilities exciting, is to be creative. Brutish strength is all well and good, but the mind trumps all.

At least in this world.

There are spells that can help you get past those tiresome 'no healing this wound, sucker!' issues. I've recently given you a damn big hint towards what you need for that to happen - and it's not the wisp. Things should become clear soon. Solvarion

You have magic, and now a bonus to strength and fire magic, plus a draconic spirit. If you get regeneration, I want bug control.

And you could always apply some of those "free heals" to yourself. Or, for big things, focus a turn fkor a dynamic bonus.
Focusing will be useful for him, that's for sure, but to heal wounds from magical backlash he needs to roll a six. Also, don't worry too much about the draconic aspect. There are other aspects around, provided you can beat their challenges - not all of them require a vision quest, either (So kindly don't go hork down some jimsonweed).

Also don't forget that you have dual focus. You can mix any non-opposing elements without inhibition and only take a -1 to opposing ones. This skill can be upgraded to no negative modifiers... Hell, the sky's the limit. You seem to have taken a shine to Earth magic... have you ever thought of the potential?

Of course, the others have no magical ability whatsoever... At least in their cases though they won't ever accidentally implode their lungs. Eh. There are certainly other channels open to them - such as Felice's recent bullet-time upgrade. Of course, it certainly wasn't meant to be a hint directed at what sort of enemies you'd be facing next.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:05:15 am by Niccolo »
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 24 - Riding the Dragon
« Reply #440 on: December 21, 2013, 11:27:06 am »

Hork some jimsonweed.
Determine what horking and jimsonweed are.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 21, 2013, 11:51:56 am »

Hork some jimsonweed.
((Horking=eating
Jimsonweed=poisonous berry that made me comatose.
Smart.

Also my point was that I can't really heal my own injuries, because 90% of the time they will be caused by me healing someone else, and the other 10% of the time they are caused by me using it offensively so I don't have to heal someone else later. As you pointed out, I can't even touch them without a 6, and even then theres the roll for backlash, which could end up just replacing one problem with another. The earth magic thing helps, but still leaves the backlash problem.
I suppose I'll just have to try and find that hint you mentioned....maybe something to do with the sun or moon? A moon fragment? Fuck if I know.

Anyway to reduce the magic backlash? Like y'know, get a bonus so all my spells don't mortally wound me?))

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 21, 2013, 07:40:23 pm »

Also my point was that I can't really heal my own injuries, because 90% of the time they will be caused by me healing someone else, and the other 10% of the time they are caused by me using it offensively so I don't have to heal someone else later. As you pointed out, I can't even touch them without a 6, and even then theres the roll for backlash, which could end up just replacing one problem with another. The earth magic thing helps, but still leaves the backlash problem.
I suppose I'll just have to try and find that hint you mentioned....maybe something to do with the sun or moon? A moon fragment? Fuck if I know.

Anyway to reduce the magic backlash? Like y'know, get a bonus so all my spells don't mortally wound me?))

Creativity. Instead of directly healing the wounds, try 'encouraging' them to heal by themselves. (It takes a blend of magics applied in a certain way.) you should meditate on the issue, I'm sure an appropriate solution will come to you. Thuun IS a well-trained healer, after all. It'd be strange if he couldn't work out a tricky way to thumb his nose at the laws of magic and heal the unhealable.

The magical backlash thing is weird. The more powerful your spell (relative to your level) the bigger the backlash. It's caused by the magic basically tearing its way out of your body. You throw a spell and it just sort of slams out. But, what would happen if you let your magic just flow out instead?

Dynamic bonuses help for most everything; on a 5, the subsequent magical cost will be quite small. And a 5 for cost means you get away scot free. Seriously. Even if you've just levelled a city, rolling a five for cost gives you, like, a minor headache.

I didn't think this through.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:04:28 am by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 25 - To the Village!
« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2013, 11:10:08 pm »

Hey guys! I won’t be updating again until the new year.

Merry Christmas to all of you and have a happy and safe new year!

- Turn 25: To the Village! -
With everyone finally in roughly the same place, it’s time to gather yourselves and book it out of there…

Collect shards of bone - if these can easily pierce a foot without any real force put behind them, they should be pretty dangerous. Particularly the one that did pierce my foot. Also, bind foot with available materials.

If my foot is successfully bound by the end of the turn, get moving!
“Ah! Those are some very sharp bones!” you exclaim, carefully extracting the shard of Thuun’s tibia from your foot. The hole is leaking, but luckily it didn’t go all the way through. Just as much damage as you’d expect from dropping a very pointy, rather heavy bone onto your foot.

Nope, certainly not magical at all.

You decide to keep them anyway, because… uh… you don’t learn quickly.

“Say, does anybody want to help with my bleeding foot?” you ask the others.

(Righteous Litany has cooled down completely)

Go to Lyu and help him with his foot. When he's ready to move to the rest of the group, support him if his foot can't take his weight
You sigh and pinch the bridge of your nose. "Old man, you really should be more careful." You borrow some more bandage from Cyrus and crouch next to the wounded priest to help him.

(3) Your inexpert wrapping is mediocre, at best, but at least the foot is mostly bound. He won’t be able to walk much without his staff, but it’ll do.

Lyu’s foot is bandaged, but it’s still rather weak. It will also need more attention before it will properly heal.

You help Lyu into the carriage and climb in yourself.

After he gets done with the screaming and the cursing and the vowing revenge upon those who have maimed him, he turns his attention toward fixing his legs, and decides he needs to properly meditate and think hard on the task at hand before attempting something like that.
You blearily try and sit up, noting you appear to be in the charred shell of the carriage. But you can’t seem to get good leverage. Well, not easily. “Right… my legs are burned,” you mumble. You heave yourself up using a chair and get a good look…

"WHAT THE FUCKING MONKEY BALL SWEATSHOPS HAPPENED TO MY LEGS?!" you scream, startling several birds into flight. They’re gone! They’re just fucking gone!

You look out the door in a panic and see bits of bone sticking out of the ground. “GODS BE DAMNED FUCKING STUPID--” you lapse into swearing in one of the various Limerete dialects that you picked up in the temple, cursing whoever tore your legs off with the fury of a dozen scorned women, leeches in their genitals, peeling the skin from their eyeballs, that kind of thing.

Feeling calmer, you decide to maybe heal your legs yourself. You know there’s no ways in hell you’ll be able to just regrow your legs. Charred wounds, maybe. Missing limbs? Not a chance.

You sink into a trance as the others pile into the carriage around you, stopping only to wave at them so they know you’re awake and not to steal any more limbs. If they didn’t guess from the cursing.

(5) ”There are a thousand different ways to approach a wound. Even a wound as complex as a destroyed eye or amputated hand can be fixed, with the right knowledge.” The words of one of your teachers rumbles through your mind, filling it with images.

Another image slowly forms in your mind. A Southlander -Ekoka? - focusing on a rock. The rock explodes in his hand, leaving nothing but a stump behind. Then he suddenly has a new hand. Made of rock.

With the right magical combination, you could probably build something similar. But you’re a master of healing, so you could take it a step further… Possible solutions pour through you. And if you release the magic slowly,  ever so slowly, you could probably avoid the worst of the magical backlash, too!

Again and again, three elemental signs appear in your mind. Life, Fire and Light. What could it mean?

New Ability Gained: Slow Cast! If you take two turns to cast a spell, it will always have the dynamic bonus applied - Unless it’s way too complex.

Success! The spell you cast next turn will have a dynamic bonus applied. Probably.

Wait for everyone to finish what they're doing.
You sit in the carriage and wait. When Thuun  wakes up and begins screaming, you jump a foot or so in the air in fright. You also prudently decide to not mention that you helped remove his legs.

Continue focusing on the spell. If, somehow, everyone actually does get to the carriage before the end of the turn, cast it and start heading for civilization.
“Everyone in? Let’s go!”

(5) As Cyrus hurriedly joins the others in the carriage, you perform the final muttered incantations from your perch on top. You dramatically raise your hand skywards, calling a swirling vortex of wind, before gesturing forwards. The vortex surrounds the carriage which lurches into life and begins pounding down the road. Seeing the turn to the village, you shunt the air around and the carriage tilts wildly, but manages to turn without killing anyone.

You’re flying down the road now, way faster than anybody should ever go. Will you ever be able to stop? The quarter mile to the village vanishes in less than a minute and you’re releasing the airstream, tugging it backwards to slow the carriage before it smashes directly into the village gates.

The carriage skids sideways, sliding to a stop a bare inch before the gates. You thrust your fist triumphantly into the air. “Boo yaaaargh!” (2) Your happy shout turns into one of pain as your arms and legs cramp. Your right arm cramps up worst of all, since that was the limb you were directing the magic with. The arm stiffens right up and probably won’t work for a while (2 turns).

But you cast the magic perfectly (Didn’t even need the dynamic bonus!). +1 experience to Wind magic and an extra +1 for the perfect slowcast!

Hork some jimsonweed.
You sit down and pull out a jimsonweed fruit, biting deeply into it and swallowing the tangy flesh. Almost immediately you feel your heart begin to race. Colours around you begin to blend together into a psychedelic smear of pinks and fluorescent greens. You suspect that the carriage is plotting against you, as are the tre--

NO NO NO NO NO

The village is quiet. Very, very quiet. There are a couple of rustling sounds, but you can’t hear much at all. The gate is shut, but probably not a big obstacle to you five. There are signs of recent damage.

You can almost hear a thin voice. Is it calling for help?

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 23, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »

Avoid crashing.

"That was...fun. Definitely swift."

Descend from atop the carriage, carefully to avoid issues from the cramps.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 24, 2013, 12:46:03 am »

Thuun continues thinking about his latest vision...Life is obvious, but why Fire and Light? Fire...and...Light....His thoughts turn to his previous experience, wherein he was granted the aspect of a dragon, which included the domains he needs to see the spell come to fruition!

"Clearly they must be linked" he mumbles to himself, before he focuses his mind on the needed elements, letting them flow into his blade for amplification, then passing the sword slowly along the length of where his legs should be, intent on drawing outward the aspect of that mighty creature inside him and binding it seamlessly to the rest of his flesh, inch by inch if need be.

((I'm SOOO hoping this is what I was supposed to get out of those hints. Because if not I'm probably screwed :P))

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 24, 2013, 01:34:56 am »

Yes, no and maybe.
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 24, 2013, 02:01:54 am »

"Well, this has been a productive day."

Ponder my foot, evaluate the best way to bind it. Make sure to just prepare, though. Better not get hasty.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 24, 2013, 11:44:48 am »

Baldur gingerly steps out of the carriage and looks around.

"Need some help, Thuun?"

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 24, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

Baldur gingerly steps out of the carriage and looks around.

"Need some help, Thuun?"

NOOOOOOOOO!

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74