Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 132360 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 28 - Of Crystals and Charred Carriages
« Reply #540 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:09 am »

Um...break the gates? We have two mages.
You're welcome to try and break the glowing-with-blatantly-evil-signs gates, but I'd recommend standing far back. All that energy is going to have to go somewhere.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 28 - Of Crystals and Charred Carriages
« Reply #541 on: January 13, 2014, 04:55:48 am »

Ekoka stares at Lyu, with a mixture of irrutation and disgust on his face.
"Empty your pockets of maggots. And yes, things are VERY unsafe! It's obvious!"

"Why would someone keep maggots in their pockets? They'd spoil. You'd need a jar with a piece of meat inside to keep them for any length of time. And it's good to know that somebody is paying attention at least."

You also possibly should have paid more attention to the devilish signs painted on the walls and less attention on phat lewt and the morality thereof.

((I think we might have missed a save point, you guys.))

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 29 - The Tines of Madness
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »

Hey guys! Guess what’s getting introduced soon? Yup, the insanity rolls! And some new monsters. I’ll include the stats for each monster if they’re above the norm; a couple of them get bonuses here and there. I’ll explain those when you encounter them.

About Insanity:
You guys each have 30 sanity points. Every five points, you gain an erratic effect which will appear from time to time throughout the story. Dice also get rolled.

26 - 30 points: No dice roll.
21 - 25 points: On a 1, crazy stuff.
16 - 20 points: On a 1 or 2, crazy shenanigans!
11 - 15 points: On a 1, 2 or 3, baaaad stuff.
6 - 10 points: On a roll of 1 to 4,  you soil yourself, see monsters, set your teammates on fire because they look like fireplaces…
1 - 5 points: Roll of 1 to 5, you do naughty things.
0: You get a nasty surprise.

- Turn 29: The Tines of Madness -

You’re trapped in Cnoc Adh! Oh dear…

The sun is setting in the western sky; where the sky can be seen past the inky black flames, it’s burning the more conventional golden-orange. To the east the moon has begun to rise above the treeline, the three pieces of the Goddess’ corpse hang delicately in the night sky, aglow with silvery light yet somehow… flat. The light just isn’t right. Nobody can quite put their finger on it, but the moon just looks subtly wrong. It’s almost nauseating to see.

“And there’s not even a hill here. Why did they call the village Silent Hill? That makes no sense!” Grouching, Cyrus sets himself and faces the gates, examining the magical trap walls. “Hm. This is quite unlike any magic I’ve ever seen,” he murmurs, adjusting his glasses idly with one hand. “But I can sense the power. We would have a rough time of it if we tried to smash down that gate. Well, the least I can do is try and put the fires out.”

The air around him ripples gently as his magic flows forth. The ripples brush up against the towering tongues of fire and slide right off. “What?” he muses, trying again. His magic has the same result, just slipping over and around the black flames. “Oh hell,” he swears. “I can’t touch the flames!” He kicks at an unoffending rock. “Well. It would seem that whatever force has created this trap is incredibly resistant to normal, Goddess-given magic. We might be in a bit of trouble.”

He mutters darkly and wanders back over to the maypole. “Stupid magic. And what are those damn signs? They’re really annoying me!” he shouts before wandering over to the nearest devil-sign and inspects it. “I have no clue what this sigil is for. It has none of the usual control loops, power routes or shapers. Is it just for dramatic effect?”

He groans and holds his head. “Ow!  No. No, they’re not for drama… Oh Gods!” he falls to his knees. “It’s in my head… It’s in my head!” He shakes himself roughly to focus his mind and clear his thoughts. “Damn. It’s an insanity sigil. Fellows, we had best move quickly. These signs on the houses will slowly drive us mad.”

Baldur grumbles.
You grumble. "What a fine mess we've gotten ourselves into." ((Please give me a little more to work with))

A sense of unease slides over your shoulders. Are you already mad? Maybe. Who knows?

Your eye has finally totally regenerated. From next turn on, you have full vision!

Quickly locate my good friends. Relay information!
You feel happy, despite the incredibly obvious trap. You have a new dagger of some kind and a pile of gem fragments that should be worth a good amount! You also seem to have worked out what killed those creatures. "Hey, friends! I've discovered that these people were obviously killed by somebody who enjoys killing things, rather than some manner of beast like the ones in the forest,” you explain to them when you finally catch up. They’re standing near the maypole in the centre of town, trying to ignore the multitude of bodies in every direction. “Also, said killer also seems to have been a person. So, watch out for suspicious murderers. I also found some good stuff on the corpses. Well, that and some maggots."

“Empty your pockets of maggots!” Ekoka says in disgust. His normally-dark skin has paled somewhat since entering the village.

“Why would someone keep maggots in their pockets? They'd spoil. You'd need a jar with a piece of meat inside to keep them for any length of time. And it's good to know that somebody is paying attention at least."

“How do you know it was a person?” Cyrus asks quizzically. He has tied his handkerchief into a bandanna around his nose. “The bodies are torn to shreds!” You shrug and explain your findings in greater detail to the mage, cheerfully describing the methodical slaughter and how the wounds seem similar to the ones on the messenger’s corpse, but not quite the same.

You finish by showing your gems proudly to Cyrus, since he seems the most interested. He pales and backs away. “Ow… those hurt my head!” he mutters, averting his eyes from those beautiful gems. You shrug and put the fragments back in your pocket. If he can’t appreciate them, he doesn’t need to benefit from their lovely value, does he?,

"Finally, is anybody else feeling very unsafe all of a sudden?"

“Yes, things are VERY unsafe! It's obvious!" Ekoka retorts as next to him, Baldur sighs and shakes his head. He waves that rocky hand of his at the giant walls of fire. “We’re kinda stuck here in crazy butcher land!”

You shake your head. “No, this is more… uh…” Something dark skitters through the edge of your vision and neatly scatters your thoughts. “What was that?”

Thuun wonders how many of his teammates have just soiled themselves. Then he wonders how they expect to survive without him. They're probably pretty doomed.
You sit in the carriage and think about your teammates, wondering if they know just how screwed they are. Mist is continuing to rise around the village, slowly seeping into the carriage. You shudder at its cold fingers on your slowly-growing legs, wishing you had something to cover up your teeny tiny feet with.

Angels be praised! You have incy-wincy ankles now! They’re so tiny and adorable and can take absolutely no weight whatsoever without shattering like the pathetic little glass bones that they are, but you have ankles! It’s a definite improvement.

The mist glows where it touches your legs, set alight by the warm orange light seeping forth from your knees. You shudder at the cold touch, but marvel at the luminous beauty of the mist. It takes a while for you to notice, but you slowly realise that the light of the regeneration spell appears to be dimming slightly! What’s going on?

You hear a rustling from outside. The gentle patter of feet carrying something over the dusty path towards the carriage.  Suddenly there’s a thump from the roof of the carriage! Your heart races. You would swear, but if you remain quiet you might not get noticed. At which point you realise that the mist all around the carriage is glowing with refracted bronze light from your legs.

Oh  dear.

Spellsword has completely cooled down! Now there's good timing.

Head towards where Felice indicated the survivors are. Manipulate my rocky hand into a fist.
You mutter darkly about the priest before forcibly shaping your rockhand into a fist. You’ve decided you’re going to put your fist through the first creature you meet. This is bloody nonsense! Magic that’s impervious to magic, signs that make people go crazy, and that damn annoying buzzing sound in your ears…

You swear and stalk off towards the house that Felice pointed at. You haven’t quite decided yet whether you want to save the old woman in the house or punch her lights out for dragging you guys all into crazytown, but you’re going to find out.

Stick with the others. Keep a lookout for nasties. Defend against possible nasties.
“This is bad, why did I ever get on land. Nothing good comes from being on land, capn' used to say.” You start swearing. A lot. Crows’ feathers turn white in shock, rocks tremble at your language and hide. You truly are eloquent as you loudly speculate on the identity of the monsters’ fathers and the origins of this bloody village.

When you finally run out of words, you notice that Ekoka has wandered away from you, Cyrus, Baldur and Lyu. “All right, gotta stay together, land-beasts are cowardly and try to pick off stragglers,” you explain to the others, making shooing motions to indicate that they should follow Ekoka. He has the right idea. Find a nice basement. Get underground. Hide. No, wait. That’s the crazy talking. Cyrus said you were all going crazy. Slowly. Or did he say slowly but mean quickly because he wants you all to go crazy so he can take your stuff?

He did say he was a bandit. That’s like a pirate, isn’t it? Hm.  It bears closer thought.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:47 am »

"Ah, so it must have been the wisest course of action all along to pay no attention whatsoever to the signs on the walls and whatnot. Thanks, Cyrus! What would we do without you?"

Guide everyone to follow Ekoka. With my staff. Like a shepherd and whatnot!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 15, 2014, 08:08:12 am »

((Great, so if my assumptions are correct, then my regeneration is effectively turned off by the mist, possibly refracted onto MY ENEMIES and is also giving away where I am. You realize that my "I'll be fine" thing wasn't a challenge, but an EXPLANATION. I was trying to say that staying in the carriage wasn't completely retarded because a b and c, not "Oh please send things to kill me" :P

I mean you set us down next to "obviously a trap village" which btw does Cnoc Adh mean Silent Hill? That's hilarious :).
Anyway, the village was so obviously a trap that staying in the carriage seemed the only sane thing to do, and I was explaining why I thought that. But yeah I'll wait till you tell me if my regen is still actually working before I turn it off, because that shit be a pain to turn on yo.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »

((Great, so if my assumptions are correct, then my regeneration is effectively turned off by the mist, possibly refracted onto MY ENEMIES and is also giving away where I am. You realize that my "I'll be fine" thing wasn't a challenge, but an EXPLANATION. I was trying to say that staying in the carriage wasn't completely retarded because a b and c, not "Oh please send things to kill me" :P
((Wow. Just wow.))

I mean you set us down next to "obviously a trap village" which btw does Cnoc Adh mean Silent Hill? That's hilarious :).
((Yup.))

Anyway, the village was so obviously a trap that staying in the carriage seemed the only sane thing to do
((OOC, maybe. IC, it seemed sensible to go inside. At least we'd have walls if more demons attacked.))

Continue towards the place. Try to calm down. No punchies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 15, 2014, 02:40:34 pm »

((Wow. Just wow.))

((Yeah yeah, I know. :P))

Anyway, the village was so obviously a trap that staying in the carriage seemed the only sane thing to do
((OOC, maybe. IC, it seemed sensible to go inside. At least we'd have walls if more demons attacked.))
((How in any way shape or form would it be different IC? We knew full well that the major threat of the area, the ONLY thing to show up on my life-dar, as FLAMES no less, was in there. While we pretty much intended to go in anyway, we could easily have waited till Thuun was back in the fight so we didn't split the party or at least till we had more of a plan then "walk blindly into trap, be slaughtered"
You'll notice that Thuun specifically asked everyone to stay by him, as he is a....well not a WALKING font of healing, but you get the point. I did my best IC to make sure you guys didn't wander blindly into danger and you ignored me.
And frankly what was gonna happen was patently obvious from ANY perspective.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:29 pm »

((And staying outside by a broken carriage all night would have been better?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:02 pm »

Follow ekoka. Keep my bow ready at all times, if we go indoors, get my dirk out instead. Ask cyrus if he's feeling allright.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 15, 2014, 07:06:55 pm »

Anyway, the village was so obviously a trap that staying in the carriage seemed the only sane thing to do, and I was explaining why I thought that. But yeah I'll wait till you tell me if my regen is still actually working before I turn it off, because that shit be a pain to turn on yo.))

Yup, Cnoc Adh translates to Silent Hill from Irish. keep an eye out for weird-looking words and try to translate them. If they translate they'll occasionally give hints.

Your regen isn't switched off (Although if the temperature keeps dropping you'll lose your Dragon Aspect), but you are glowing like a lighthouse. And no, it's not refracting onto your enemies. Only people who were there when you originally cast the spell are affected, unless you specifically try and extend the spell to them. So don't worry about fighting a crazy Wolverine.

The "Flames" from your life-dar are a bit of rhetoric.  You know the old cliche of the 'spark of life'? Yeah, that's what I was going for with your life-dar.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 18, 2014, 04:05:23 am »

So. Uh.

BFEL? USEC? Actions for you two would be awesome.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 18, 2014, 08:50:52 am »

((And staying outside by a broken carriage all night would have been better?))
((It wouldn't have split the party and you would still have your healer. You abandoned your White Mage. People who abandon their White Mage tend not to survive very long. You could very well have waited till my legs healed and we could have spent the time coming up with a plan. But instead you split the party and ran off to evisceration station.))

Thuun grabs his blade, setting up in the closest thing he can to a defensive stance while sitting legless in a burnt up carriage.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:39 am »

((And staying outside, with no protection from more demon-beasts, isn't as likely? Besides, what clues should we have had?
Also, Ekoka is perfectly capable of healing wounds.))
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 18, 2014, 11:21:34 am »

Baldur sticks with the party, his sword at the ready.

((Sorry about that.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 18, 2014, 06:53:03 pm »

((And staying outside, with no protection from more demon-beasts, isn't as likely? Besides, what clues should we have had?
Also, Ekoka is perfectly capable of healing wounds.))
((It will bug me forever that the hedge mage with a 0 in healing got his severed limb back long before I did. I didn't just do the earth thing you did because I assumed that when Niccolo said "GWG did this, so you could do even CRAZIER STUFF" It meant "stuff that will not just grow your leg back but make it better and less likely to fall off again"
I was sorta expecting to grow dragon legs :P
But anyway, it was pretty obvious that TRAP TRAP TRAP, so we should have had a strategy. A way to ambush IT instead of the other way around))

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74