Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 132155 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 29 - The Tines of Madness
« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2014, 07:01:29 pm »

((There was a bit of meta-thinking, too.
"Investigating seems like an obvious trap, so the GM probably prepared something outside for us, too. Besides, my character doesn't have much reason to be suspicious, and the ability to investigate plus the houses and such should outweigh any increase in the likelihood of ambushes."))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:17 pm »

"Investigating seems like an obvious trap, so the GM probably prepared something outside for us, too. Besides, my character doesn't have much reason to be suspicious, and the ability to investigate plus the houses and such should outweigh any increase in the likelihood of ambushes."))
((You're a weirdo :P
But whatever, arguing about it won't help.
I have an idea for how to get to you guys once/if my legs grow back and I beat up any outside threats.
Naturally it means turning off the regen, but if it works it will be an awesome big damn hero moment.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »

Well, one way or another you're going to have to deactivate your regeneration soon, since you can't use magic while doing it.

What amuses me is you're so sure that the demon/monster/person/thing that made and triggered the trap is in there with you.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:23 pm »

Well, one way or another you're going to have to deactivate your regeneration soon, since you can't use magic while doing it.

What amuses me is you're so sure that the demon/monster/person/thing that made and triggered the trap is in there with you.
((I don't have to deactivate it. I'm a spellSWORD remember? I can handle physical combat as well as magical. Just need to regrow my legs a bit first, which I'm working on :P
And I really hope the boss of the area didn't just land 2 feet above my head. That would suck. Especially because SOMEONE SPLIT THE PARTY!))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 18, 2014, 07:40:40 pm »

((You're a weirdo :P
((In other news, grass is green.))

And I really hope the boss of the area didn't just land 2 feet above my head. That would suck. Especially because SOMEONE SPLIT THE PARTY!))
((Told you you should have come in...wait...Why did you idiots leave Thuun outside? I at least had the excuse of not being a physically-oriented character.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:19 pm »

((Told you you should have come in...wait...Why did you idiots leave Thuun outside? I at least had the excuse of not being a physically-oriented character.))
((Answer: Because I made a point of staying outside. BECAUSE I THOUGHT OTHER PEOPLE WOULD BE SMART ENOUGH TO DO THE SAME.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 18, 2014, 07:43:56 pm »

((Says the person who stayed outside and is about to be caught without cover by what may be the boss-monster.))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 18, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »

((Says the person who stayed outside and is about to be caught without cover by what may be the boss-monster.))
((Once again, thought people would listen to me, which admittedly by now I should know THEY NEVER DO. No matter how intelligent or well-reasoned my ideas are.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:39 pm »

((Again, if we get ambushed in the city we have cover and such. Plus supplies and clues to what caused all this. Which is important, because the cause of all this is kinda important to the plot.
Besides, meta-arguments prevailed.))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:09 am »

((Again, if we get ambushed in the city we have cover and such. Plus supplies and clues to what caused all this. Which is important, because the cause of all this is kinda important to the plot.
Besides, meta-arguments prevailed.))
((If you get ambushed in a open forest you have the not being boxed in right in the lair of the beast. Plus not surrounded by insanity glyph traps. Which is important because THE NAME OF THIS GAME IS ROLL TO GO MAD, ITS AN OBSESSION OF THE GM's APPARENTLY.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 19, 2014, 02:13:30 pm »

((Glyphs appearing on the walls, closing the gates and whatnot, were about as predictable as, say, a bunch of demon-wolves or something investigating and attacking. Or some kind of tainted rain. Or a nearby river flooding, not a problem with the city walls. Really, if the GM wanted to screw us over, he would have had at least as many options outside as inside, and we wouldn't even be able to further investigate.))
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42:21 am »

Okay, I swear I'm working on the update and not getting distracted by Skyrim.

Like, for real. Totally.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:03 am »

Okay, I swear I'm working on the update and not getting distracted by Skyrim.

Like, for real. Totally.
((I on the other hand, completely am being distracted by Skyrim. Mostly getting all the mods I downloaded to play nice with each other on Skyrim :P
Ever tried Frostfall? It adds exposure and hypothermia and camping and freezing to death. ITS SO COOL!....PUN. Yeah I'm trying to get that to play nice with a hundred other "immersion" themed mods. Like Imps More Complex Needs. And the Civil War Overhaul....and about 20 other mods.....I have an addiction...))

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:18 am »

I've tried Frostfall and Hunterborn, along with Civil War Overhaul, but I got sick of Frostfall. It was immersive and all but I just found it annoying after a while. I'm currently playing around with Better Vampires and enjoying it thoroughly.

And I'm writing the next update. Slowly.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 30 - The Basement
« Reply #569 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:43 am »

By the way,  it’s only fair to say that four of you are actually slowly going mad. You can check your sanity levels by mousing over your names. I originally wasn’t going to tell you about the stats, but fair’s fair. I may toss the sanity thing out eventually if it doesn’t work well. Again, experimentation!

Also, a hint. Get into the habit of closely examining stuff. And listen to Cyrus. He’s a bit like a more useful and less annoying Navi.

- Turn 30: The Basement -
You’ve found your way into the center of town, trapped by signs that will slowly make you go mad. Fortify your minds lest you lose all sanity and attack your teammates…

Continue towards the place. Try to calm down. No punchies.
You take deep breaths, pushing the thoughts about those glowing signs out of your mind. It’s tough, but you manage to distract your mind suffici-Seriously, what the hell is that sound? You have to wake up. It’s like this constant droning buzz, as though a horde of bees are sitting two feet behind you. Weird.

You reach the house with Felice, Cyrus, Baldur and Lyu in close step behind you. “The basement, right?” you ask the seaman. Really, it’s time to wake up. He nods, opens his mouth and buzzes at you. What? You roll your eyes. Your mind will have to do better than that to drive you crazy.

You head around the side of the house to the trapdoor that leads into the basement. One blow of your rockhand shatters the crude chain holding it shut and you kick the door open before heading down the stairs...

Guide everyone to follow Ekoka. With my staff. Like a shepherd and whatnot!
"Ah, so it must have been the wisest course of action all along to pay no attention whatsoever to the signs on the walls and whatnot,” you announce, quite pleased with how it all turned out. “Thanks, Cyrus! What would we do without you?"

“Don’t be stupid!” Cyrus roars. The air shimmers around him as though he is giving off a tremendous amount of heat. He stops, claps his hands together and shuts his eyes, evidently focusing. The shimmering slowly fades. “Sorry about that,” he apologises embarrassedly. “But really, what kind of trap would they be if they only worked when you paid attention?” The pyromancer shakes his head roughly and turns back towards the sigils. “I could probably destroy them, but it would waste a lot of power. Let’s find the source of the energy instead.”

You nod and smile disarmingly, hoping to distract Cyrus from his rage. Evidently the signs affect different people in different manners. You wonder what it will feel like for you. You shrug and turn back to the other two, directing them with your staff to follow Ekoka, who is determinedly walking in the direction that Felice indicated.

Ekoka looks… odd. He doesn’t seem quite right. Surely he wasn’t that tall. Maybe you’re remembering incorrectly.

Yeah, that must be it. Nobody grows six inches in a day.

You follow Ekoka down into the basement...

Thuun grabs his blade, setting up in the closest thing he can to a defensive stance while sitting legless in a burnt up carriage.
The thumping and thudding on the roof is growing tiresome. You try and manoeuvre yourself into something approaching a swordsman’s stance, but with only half of your legs it’s a little cumbersome. You silently curse your instructors for not covering legless swordsmanship, blatantly ignoring the absurdity of that notion.

There’s noise all around you, now. Whispers rustle through the cabin, half-heard phrases that make no sense and probably make even less sense if you caught the whole line. Voiceless screeches resound through the twilight, accompanied by hair-raisingly loud shrieks of tortured metal. What on earth is going on outside?

The mist is now so thick that you can barely see your hands. The light from your legs is scattered for hundreds of feet in every direction, quite neatly masking your presence - but it’s the only good thing to come of it all. The cold air is seeping deep into your bones and will take some serious work to dislodge the icy grip on your innards. You shiver, taking extra care to not let your teeth rattle.

You can see little through the carriage door, but every now and then foggy shadows slip through the air. It’s all rather unnerving; the shadows change size regularly, the misty air altering everything about them. Even their number is clouded. All of a sudden, one shadow looms particularly large near the doorway! Whatever it is can’t see you in the darkness of the carriage, but if whatever-it-is climbs inside with you, it’ll be a very short, very ugly fight.

Follow Ekoka. Keep my bow ready at all times, if we go indoors, get my dirk out instead. Ask Cyrus if he's feeling alright.
“You feeling alright, mate?” you ask Cyrus as you follow Ekoka towards the basement that’s apparently designated old-people-storage. He nods and gives you a wan smile, but the skin around his nostrils is white. He’s clearly under a significant level of strain trying to keep his mind together.

Ekoka kicks the basement open and you draw your razor-sharp dirk in anticipation...

Baldur sticks with the party, his sword at the ready.
You follow Ekoka, herded along by Lyu’s insistent staff. You draw your broken greatsword, holding the shattered weapon negligently in one hand, ready to sweep it up into a guard. The mist is thin on the ground within the village; you glance back over your shoulder only to find thick clouds pressed up against the village wall, threatening to boil over but held back by… something. Possibly the black fire. Creepy.

The basement is perhaps twenty by thirty feet. The walls are bare save for several torches giving off thin tendrils of dirty black smoke; several barrels line the far wall, obviously for food preservation in winter times.

An old woman is sitting in a chair, her wrinkled hands folded demurely in her lap. “Well, it’s about time!” she tells you tartly.

“Mother, be quiet!” orders the young man standing behind her. “We have no clue who these people are.  I mean, look at them!”

“They’re perfectly healthy,” the old woman responds. “Except him, he’s got something wrong with his hand. And that one’s a greyskin. Well, no matter. They’re here now, so quit your bellyaching.”

The young man sighs and shrugs in apology to the five of you. “I’m sorry about all that. We’ve been stuck in this damn cellar for a week now. Her yelling was getting on my nerves.”

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:45:05 pm by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74