Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 131861 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 30 - The Basement
« Reply #585 on: January 21, 2014, 09:40:04 am »

((It's a good thing cyrus doesn't actually fight all that much, we really don't want some kind of mary sue DMNPC. I believe Niccolo meant that cyrus has a lot of actually usefull information while being relatively non-intrusive, unlike Navi who was the exact opposite.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:26 am »

((It's a good thing cyrus doesn't actually fight all that much, we really don't want some kind of mary sue DMNPC. I believe Niccolo meant that cyrus has a lot of actually usefull information while being relatively non-intrusive, unlike Navi who was the exact opposite.))

((It makes sense that Cyrus doesn't use magic all that much - after all, he has seen what keeps happening to Thuun and, to a lesser extent, Ekoka. Can't blame the poor guy at all.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 21, 2014, 12:53:00 pm »

((I know, I know. But still, he's almost TOO non-intrusive, to the point we could probably have just run off and forgotten this quest altogether and he woulda just twiddled his thumbs and combed his hair :P
What I'm saying is that there's non-intrusive and then there's "the GM forgot he existed at one point"))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »

((And "The players can't remember who he is".))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 21, 2014, 07:37:47 pm »

((And "The players can't remember who he is".))
Well, you can't. I get the impression the others at least remember him.

This is sorta what I was going for. Yes, Cyrus is a pyromancer. But he's not the star of this show. He's my handy-dandy Mr. Exposition for when I need a mouthpiece. Aaaand I only forgot that he exists once. For about four turns. But he:

1) Prevents forest fires, like Smokey the Bear taught him to.
2) Identifies magical artifacts.
3) Guides you to the right village.
4) Kills monsters with magic without burning his own legs.
5) Points out that the magic sealing you into the village can't just be torn down.
6) Points out that the other magic is going to drive you crazy (and subtly hinting maybe someone should have done something about that...).
7) Fixes his hair.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:49 pm »

((1. Because burning down a forest infested by horrid monsters is totally a bad thing
2. Er...I guess I'll give you that?
3. Yes, guiding us into the murderpit is obviously a service
4. Hey, I did that too, the leg burning came AFTER the magic. And IC I will attribute it to magical fatigue. OOC it was just a poor decision, but with RTDs you       never know what will succeed or fail.
5. I'm guessing this also means no using it as handy fuel for my own maginukes, so actually helpful
6. Helpful, if anyone actually gave a damn.

So overall I suppose he's a decently helpful influence.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 21, 2014, 11:40:29 pm »

((1. Because burning down a forest infested by horrid monsters is totally a bad thing
2. Er...I guess I'll give you that?
3. Yes, guiding us into the murderpit is obviously a service
4. Hey, I did that too, the leg burning came AFTER the magic. And IC I will attribute it to magical fatigue. OOC it was just a poor decision, but with RTDs you       never know what will succeed or fail.
5. I'm guessing this also means no using it as handy fuel for my own maginukes, so actually helpful
6. Helpful, if anyone actually gave a damn.
+1
Although I don't remember him doing #6...

He's more useful than hindering, but I'm not sure I'd call him "helpful".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 22, 2014, 08:15:23 am »

He's more useful than hindering, but I'm not sure I'd call him "helpful".
((Actually that was my response as well, but I thought I would just be tactful and concede he had more "good" points then bad.))

Indeed, I do this.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 22, 2014, 08:32:49 am »

((You guys really like to complain. A lot.))

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:43 am »

Baldur grunts, "Hello there. Mind explaining what happened here?"

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 22, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »

((You guys really like to complain. A lot.))
((Its a hobby))

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 22, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »

Awesome, we have all five actions! Let's roll.

Turn will be up in a couple of hours.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 31 - Light and Dark
« Reply #597 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:41 am »

So, we have our first death. And Felice is awesome.

- Turn 31: Light and Dark -
You’ve found your way into a cellar containing a way too creepy pair…

Implore them to introduce themselves.
Ask in a friendly and neighborly way.
Baldur grunts and asks a question.
Baldur, Ekoka and Lyu crowd forwards, all clamouring to question the old lady and her grandson. “Greetings, Mr. and Mrs…” Ekoka begins, giving them a questioning look.

The young man smiles. His teeth are really very white. Hypnotically so. “Miodóg,” he answers the unspoken question. “I’m Lonracha Miodóg, and this is my grandmother, Géar. Welcome to our humble abode.”

Lyu elbows Ekoka aside and grins, hoping to appear friendly and neighbourly. "Good tidings to you both! Say, did you two happen to kill all those people outside? And if not, do you know who did?"

The old woman cackles. It’s a dreadful sort of cackle, like she’s gargling a pile of dead bugs. “No, no! We employ a professional butcher to kill our livestock for us.” She’s completely blasé about it. “I’m far too old to do it, and my strapping young grandson here,” she adds in a crackly sarcastic tone, “wouldn’t know which end of the knife to hold.”

Ekoka and Lyu share a glance. Baldur steps forwards. "Hello there. Mind explaining what happened here? Those piles of bodies are not butcher work."

The young man, Lonracha, shrugs. “We had a party, you see. Lots of guests. They always get a bit carried away.” He sighs mournfully. “It always takes so long to clean up after they leave.”

The old woman cackles again. That sound is really disturbing. “Never fear, my lad. Our friends are on their way back, since dessert has just arrived. Would you be a dear and go fetch the butcher?”

Stand in a corner of the basement. Use kidzuku: comprehension to inspect both people. If I think one of them might not be human, whisper this to Cyrus/anyone of my of my teammates I can tell without the two people hearing. If both of them seem human, use kidzuku to scour the rest of the basement, might as well do that while we're using it.
You stand unobtrusively in a corner of the basement as Ekoka, Lyu and Baldur question the two strangely alive people in the middle of a village of bodies. You shut your eyes momentarily and focus on the bracelet, feeling the crackling energy within.Your mind falls into the infinite void within Kidzuku and slowly grows, falling into the cracks in the world and filling itself to bursting. In a rush your mind overflows into the real world.

(6+1) Your mind explodes into reality around you. Lights flare from your irises; to the others in the room, they see your eyes as orbs glowing in a shifting hue of colours from violet, through a cerulean blue and on into green as though the Northern Lights were trapped in your head.

The world takes on a strange violet hue as illusion upon illusion are peeled away. The cackling grandmother turns her face to stare at you; she looks human, but her eyes are… gone. Just gone. Smoking black pits that threaten to suck you into oblivion gaze at you and you hurriedly avert your eyes. The man is huge and grotesque in your sight. His eyes too are gone, replaced with the nothingness of the void. He is turning away from you, thankfully keeping that terrible gaze away. You see a tail, a forked tail, just for an instant. You’re not sure whether it’s real, symbolic or magical, but it’s there. Creepy.

They're both human, you can see that. You can see everything that's ever happened to them in their short, miserable lives. How in the middle of the Ten Day Night, a creature came to them. Something born of that terrible darkness, a piece of the malevolence that shattered the Sun and the Moon. A force that was no mere demon, but something so far above demons that you shudder as your mind gropes around the edges of understanding. You see how it captured them, twisted their minds with magic and words until they became the freak show before you. How it twists others into abominations of demon and human blood, stripping their minds of their sanity and gifting them with strength, speed and cunning beyond that of most mortals.

(SAN: 3) You feel as though a wire brush has been run through your thoughts from their appearance, but you manage to mostly hold your thoughts in line. (-1 SAN)

You turn your eyes to the world around you. Glittering, gleaming lines trace eye-catching patterns on the walls of the basement, whirling and spiralling through the air and even scratching out webs of mental traps on the floor. Your mind, infinitely expanded, sees through the traps and you understand. It’s a spell, a complex magic unlike anything ever seen on the face of the earth before. It’s attacking your mind, but it can’t come close to denting it since your mind is currently filling the entire village.

And… you understand. (5) You draw an arrow, fit it to your bow and fire it, all in one smooth motion. The grandmother has barely had enough time to blink before the arrow is embedded in her skull, the root of the spell. Around you the line explode into black fragments not unlike the crystal Lyu so proudly found earlier. The fragments shatter in turn into smaller slivers before dissolving into nothing.

The young man falls to his knees, screaming and crying. The blackness in his eyes begins to smoke harder, the pits on his face expanding to rapidly consume his entire head.

The vanishing lines peel away one final illusion as your mind begins to shrink once more, revealing the source of the third heartbeat in the basement. You dont know how he hid from your infinite mind, but youre pretty glad he did.

You slump to the ground, exhausted but strangely fulfilled. You can feel something tingling on the edge of your awareness, something that should maybe be investigated in greater detail - but perhaps when you are in less mortal peril.

(In case it’s not clear, the insanity spell has been destroyed. As have the crystals in Lyu’s pocket. Sorry Harry!)

A… man is standing there in the basement, behind the dead old lady and her weeping grandson. He appears to be about seven feet tall and built more akin to a gorilla than a human; his arms are muscled enough to be bigger around than most people’s thighs and end in hands that could pass as shovels if they were a tad smaller. His hair, ragged and unkempt, is long and black. His skin is a distressingly familiar shade of khaki.

His eyes glow with a golden light as he examines the five of you. His presence is somewhat overwhelming.

And then he speaks.

A dreadful sound, plucked from somewhere between the whisper of a knife sinking into flesh and the scream of a dying man. Garnished with the wails of a terrified child and completed with delicate undertones of tearing meat, the creature speaks.

“I wondered who would come first. How did so few kill so many of my children? I guess I must work harder on the next batch.” The monster’s face drops, eyes fixing on the wailing young man. “These two served… adequately.  But I do so hate overly emotional people.”

There’s a flicker. A flash, so fast nobody is quite sure that it even happened. The monster is standing as he always was, not even appearing to have moved. A black line glimmers across the man’s throat and with a slow and definite finality Lonracha’s head topples to the floor. The illusion fades from his eyes, showing the blackened pits to all five of you.

Finally the monster looks back at the group. “But to send only four against me… Fools will always underestimate my kind.”

Cyrus glances around. “Um, I do believe there are five of us, Mr…”

The monster’s eyes fix on Cyrus. “Bah. Mages. Always think they’re smarter than the rest of us. My name is Vanda Maraṇālu. And like I said,” he retorts, his hand blurring, “There are only four.”

Cyrus sags to the floor. Something dull and grey is sticking out of his chest; a knife hewn from some peculiar, dark grey metal. His face is wan. “Oh Gods…” he whispers. Brilliantly white light flares from his wound and his robes begin to char. As they smoke and evaporate away in an ever-expanding circle around the wound, his chest is slowly revealed. Blood is pouring from the wound, but it can barely be seen as his skin is glowing. First a buttery yellow before brightening into an eye-searing white, the glow spreads all through his skin. “Run!” he yells hoarsely, his final breath escaping his body.

The light spouting from his wound is solidifying into a blazing column. You four decide it’s prudent to heed the mage’s words as the basement floor begins to rumble and shake from the colossal energies being unleashed. The four of you tumble and roll towards the staircase, fighting your ways up the shaking stairs and into the sunlight. A shockwave knocks you all flying, to land in a heap several metres away from the house.

Behind you, the modest cottage is filled to the brim with light. Blazing white spears of light are pouring from the windows as Cyrus’ unleashed magic eats the house from the inside out. With a final roaring detonation that blasts you back even further, a brilliant white explosion of light ignites the sky around you for miles.

With a groan, the remaining shell of the cottage collapses into the basement, sending up a huge cloud of dust. The dust slowly settles to reveal the monster, Vanda, standing on the opposite side of the ex-basement, none the worse for wear.

Boss Fight: Vanda Maraṇālu
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)

Thuun activates plan "Get the fuck out of this carriage" which begins with a (hopefully) leaping stab at the shadowed figure followed by repeated stabbings till it stops moving, then a lot of crawling under the carriage and out the other side and into any place that looks easy to hide with less monsters.
You sit and wait in the carriage, trying to judge the perfect moment to leap out and strike. All of a sudden you sense a huge upheaval in magical energies; above the fog, you witness the pillars of black flame belch once and vanish. Huh. One of your comrades must have found out how to destroy the trap spell.

Nonetheless, it’s high time for you to vacate the carriage. It’s about a thousand years before canned food is invented, after all.

You gather yourself to spring for the shadow in front of you. (5-1) You less leap gracefully through the air and more flop forwards, but you flop far enough to tackle over the shadowy figure and stab him in the general chest region with your shortsword. “RAARGH!” you scream in rage, stabbing him over and over again, hoping like hell that it IS a monster and not some hapless human puttering around the village entrance to investigate.

Wait. Wasn’t there… something… on the carriage roof? (2) Something collides with your back like a goddamn cannonball and the two of you go tumbling off of the freshly-corpsified shadowy figure thing. Your mind reassembles itself to find yourself lying flat on the ground with your attacker straddling you, clawing viciously at your back with what feels like simple fingers and nails. Huh.

There’s a sudden flare of bright, white light. Your senses go ballistic as the sheer magical energy overwhelms you for a second. The light rushes over you and your attacker in a wave, burning away the fog. The thing on your back screeches and leaps off you; you hurriedly sit up and spin  on your stumpy legs, putting the light out of your mind for now.

The dead body is revealed to be one of the monsters from the forest; you heave a sigh of relief. Your relief fades into horror a moment later as the khaki colour drains away from the body, revealing a perfectly ordinary Cylenian body. The one still standing, however, is indeed still a khaki colour. His eyes are shiny yellow, frosted around the edges with madness. It… he… hisses at you a few times before crouching!

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:34:33 am by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 23, 2014, 03:34:43 am »

"Well, that situation got resolved quickly. Shame about our friend, though. Oh well."

Righteous Litany. Chant, baby, chant.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2014, 03:53:57 am »

Would jimson weed poison work on the daemon?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 74