Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 132156 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 31 - Light and Dark
« Reply #615 on: January 23, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »

((So does Vanda Maraṇālu mean anything in English? It's apparently Swedish according to Bing, but its translation to English is apparently Vanda Maraṇālu.))

quickly roll on side toward the flunky, then cut its legs till it falls down and initiate plan "stab repeatedly until dead"
Then try and sneak away without being found again.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 23, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »

((So does Vanda Maraṇālu mean anything in English? It's apparently Swedish according to Bing, but its translation to English is apparently Vanda Maraṇālu.))

((Sounds like it could mean something in Sanskrit or some other language of the Indian subcontinent. That's just a wild guess, though.))

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 23, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »

((You said there was a death. Did I miss something? I mean, sure, the old lady and the grandson seem to have died, but why do they count more than the demon things?))

((Nobody anybody in this world cares about died in this turn, as sad as it may seem.))

): You two make me a sad Nick.

So first up, question: Did I take any serious damage from that scrupple, or did all of it just regen away immediately?

Secondly, and most importantly, a VOTE on what I should focus on next.
1) Nah. Dude just clawed at you for a bit. You rolled a two and all, but since his main attack was tackling you senseless and you're so low to the ground, nothing really lasting got to you.

2) What the hell are you planning? You're outside the village and a fair way away from demon dude. If you do try any crazy long-range big exploding magics, you stand a very good chance of getting the others, too.
Go right ahead.

It's Telugu, although for some reason Google Translate won't understand it unless you write it using Telugu characters. It translates roughly to "Hundred Deaths".

Quote from: BFEL
((The problem with Cyrus dying is that he was supposed to tell the dude to give us our loots....HOW WE GONNA GET LOOTS NOW?
Other then looting I mean))
Would it surprise you to learn that Cyrus was always going to die like that?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:42:13 pm by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 23, 2014, 06:59:34 pm »

2) What the hell are you planning? You're outside the village and a fair way away from demon dude. If you do try any crazy long-range big exploding magics, you stand a very good chance of getting the others, too.
Go right ahead.
\

((Well I didn't really wanna reveal my strategy, but here goes: Deactivate Regen, Flow Earth magic into my sword and press the tip to the ground, focusing on swirling the earth round and round the tip, forming a drill. When sufficiently fast, use drill to tunnel into basement (using pulses of life magic to see where everyone is)
I bet Mr. "Hundred Deaths" isn't expecting to be attacked from BELOW. Also that was conceived when the traps were active, with my idea for how to get to everyone despite that. Would that have worked or would the flames have just flowed underground as well?))

Quote from: BFEL
((The problem with Cyrus dying is that he was supposed to tell the dude to give us our loots....HOW WE GONNA GET LOOTS NOW?
Would it surprise you to learn that Cyrus was always going to die like that?
((Not in the slightest. I was counting on it ever since hearing how essential he was to getting payed :P))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 23, 2014, 10:35:48 pm »

((That's a problem.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:50 pm »

((Well I didn't really wanna reveal my strategy, but here goes: Deactivate Regen, Flow Earth magic into my sword and press the tip to the ground, focusing on swirling the earth round and round the tip, forming a drill. When sufficiently fast, use drill to tunnel into basement (using pulses of life magic to see where everyone is)
I bet Mr. "Hundred Deaths" isn't expecting to be attacked from BELOW. Also that was conceived when the traps were active, with my idea for how to get to everyone despite that. Would that have worked or would the flames have just flowed underground as well?))

That's fucking ingenious. I'd never have seen that coming in a hundred years, so it would definitely have worked. The only drawback is since your Earth skill is shite, it would have taken you two turns to cover the distance.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:37 am »

That's fucking ingenious. I'd never have seen that coming in a hundred years, so it would definitely have worked. The only drawback is since your Earth skill is shite, it would have taken you two turns to cover the distance.

((That's the thing about Thuun/me. He may be crazy and stupid enough to cook his own legs, but dude is CREATIVE. And giving the raw forces of magic to creative people results in someone who can become SCARY AWESOME.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2014, 09:58:16 am »

((That's the thing about Thuun/me. He may be crazy and stupid enough to cook his own legs, but dude is CREATIVE. And giving the raw forces of magic to creative people results in someone who can become SCARY AWESOME.))
((If he doesn't kill himself first.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 24, 2014, 09:59:56 am »

((If he doesn't kill himself first.))
((Hey at least my injuries happened while being awesome.
You got your hand blown off because you were playing with a rock :P))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 24, 2014, 10:06:24 am »

((My injuries were caused by bad luck. Yours were caused by sheer stupidity. I'm still ahead.))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 27, 2014, 09:34:53 am »

BUMPDISSHIT

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 27, 2014, 06:09:07 pm »

Wow I'm slack. I'll try and get the next turn up in the next few hours.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 32 - The Hundred Deaths
« Reply #627 on: January 27, 2014, 10:08:05 pm »

Mouse over the Litany for a translation.

- Turn 32: The Hundred Deaths -
Just when it was all going so well, some sort of maddeningly powerful beast has shown up like a bad cliche…

"Well, that situation got resolved quickly. Shame about our friend, though. Oh well."

Righteous Litany. Chant, baby, chant.
(2) The beast before you is truly fearsome, his eyes of yellow piercing your soul to pin you to earth. Nevertheless, you raise your hands skywards and let your voice boom forth, the words of Solvarion rolling from your tongue to lift your spirits and those of your comrades.

“Wer unter dem Schirm des Höchsten sitzt und unter dem Schatten des Allmächtigen bleibt, der spricht zu dem HERRN: Meine Zuversicht und meine Burg, mein Gott, auf den ich hoffe.

Denn er errettet dich vom Strick des Jägers und von der schädlichen Pestilenz.
Er wird dich mit seinen Fittichen decken, und deine Zuversicht wird sein unter seinen Flügeln. Seine Wahrheit ist Schirm und Schild!“

Create a shield of wind between us and Mr. Boss Monster.
I could try making a shield of stone, sturdier, but now is not a time to try leveling up.
(Your action doesn’t get a +1 from Righteous Litany because it wasn’t an attack.)

You decide that the first order of business is a barrier. Let the monster come to you! (1) (Tails: Inversion) You reach forth to call upon the power of the skies, but your mind slips and falls and comes crashing to earth.

With a resounding crack and a scream, the ground between you and Vanda splits open. Unfortunately, it’s not a very deep crack, nor a very wide one, but it might form a barrier.

If he were the size of a rabbit.

Sadly, he is not.

(3) The force of the inverted magic leaving your body tears the Earth power holding your right hand together into shreds. There’s a clattering, barely audible over the shrieking of the ground, as your rockhand crumbles to the floor. It’ll probably take a few seconds for the magic to reassert itself. (Rockhand is nonfunctional for a turn)

Get behind the shield and behind Baldur. Shoot arrows at boss-nasty.
You slip your bow back off your shoulder and nock an arrow. "Oh, heads up, the insane-O scribbles were all linked to the old woman. Just in case you wondered why I killed her,” you explain, feeling the need to justify your homicidal impulses to the others.

(2) You fire two arrows in quick succession, your hands blurring between bow and quiver. (5+1) Your first arrow lances forth like the fury of a god and tears a hole completely through the beast’s left shoulder. (4+1) Your second arrow follows suit, stabbing deep into his gut.

Vanda lurches slightly, before straightening. His lips pull back from his teeth in a disturbingly wide grin and lightning, pitch black and crackling, fills both wounds. When the lightning fades, the bleeding in both wounds has stopped.

Baldur adopts a defensive stance, ready to strike if Vanda gets past Ekoka's air shield.
"Damn it, I knew that something like this was going to happen!" you shout, drawing your sword and stepping in front of Ekoka, standing squarely between him and the ‘chasm’. Your greatsword, broken in half, is held ready in one hand. You wish you had strayed to investigate the village’s smithy to investigate possible replacement weapons, but it’s a tad late now.

Oh well.

Manda laughs at your pathetic attempts to defend yourselves. “A mage who can barely control his power, a man with a broken sword and a priest who can only chant? Bah!” He stalks forward slowly, seemingly intent on biding his time.

“You, however,” he murmurs in a sultry voice, pointing one sickly-green finger at Felice, “I like your style.” His voice is worming into your ears, dripping like poisonous honey. “You would make a fine lieutenant… You’re even of the right blood.” His lips peel back from his teeth again, revealing disturbingly shiny teeth. Man, that’s just not right. “But then… You would never agree, would you?” He pouts like a child with his favourite toy taken away. “Pity. Don’t worry, my kinsman. I’m sure you taste delicious. I’ll savour every bite.” His eyes drift over the other three. “Although… I’ve never tried Southlander.”

He turns his hand over so it’s palm up. Light - or a lack thereof - flickers and the surroundings darken as though his hand was a source of shadow. Inky black fire blooms into existence, a ball of flame that’s the colour of midnight. Ekoka tilts his head. “It’s… not magic. I don’t know what that is!” he mutters.

The fireball flares up before shrinking, condensing on itself in the span of a few seconds until Vanda is holding a ball of pitch blackness. He grins. “Catch.” He lobs the ball directly at Ekoka!

Baldur steps forth, greatsword held in both hands, and swings as though to bat the ball away. (2) He misses and the ball flies past to crash into the ground at Ekoka’s feet. It pulses once and that’s all the warning the four of you get.

DODGE ROLL:
Lyu: 5
Ekoka: 4
Felice: 5+1
Baldur: 3

Lyu dives sideways as the ball explodes; a chunk of cobblestone the size of his head flies past, narrowly missing out on flattening his nose. He pulls his hands up to shield his face as more pebbles and chunks of rock rain down, but little more than dust lands on him. He climbs swiftly to his feet, staff raised and ready to parry any incoming attack.

Ekoka is knocked backwards by the blast, but manages to land on his feet. He sets himself a little shakily, spitting sideways to get the dust from his mouth.

Felice rolls sideways but hurriedly rises to his feet as he goes immediately for the counter. It’s a danger, but he has an opening! An arrow is in his hand and on the string before the sound of the blast has completely faded; a rock crashes into his back painfully, probably bruising a rib, but it worked; the monster hasn’t fully recovered from his throw. (4+1+1) The arrow streaks forth and pierces Vanda in his right hand, the shaft travelling directly up his arm. Vanda screams as the arrow is embedded in his hand up to his elbow!

Baldur gets knocked head over heels by the blast and lands flat on his back with a massive crash. A lump of cobblestone lands squarely on his stomach, pushing all of the air out of his lungs in one great exhale.

(Vanda can’t use his weird demon magic with his right hand anymore.)

(Felice is bruised on his back. He can’t quite draw his bow back fully. -1 to ranged attacks for three turns.)

(Baldur is winded! -1 to all rolls for the next turn while he catches his breath.)

Vanda is thoroughly angry now. “You… You filthy animals!” he growls, crouching slightly. “How dare you lay a finger on me!” He darts forward and leaps, arms outstretched, directly for (3) Felice!

Quickly roll on side toward the flunky, then cut its legs till it falls down and initiate plan "stab repeatedly until dead"
Then try and sneak away without being found again.

You dimly hear an oration coming from the direction of the village, but you pay it no mind. The shrieking and screaming of rock is a little more disconcerting, but of no moment; the gibbering and mad monster in front of you takes precedence.

You dive sideways, rolling around in the dirt like a flustered chicken. This strange movement has the desired effect, however, confusing the monster and allowing you to roll within reach, so you roll a little more and take a swing at his legs! (5) There’s a rather nasty thwuck as your sword embeds in the creature’s thigh. It screams and falls over.

You heave yourself on top of the screaming and crying beast and lever yourself into a half-decent stabbin’ position. (1) You… uh… Well, you miss. Shoot. Which gives the monster all the opening he needs to grab you by the shoulders! He pulls your torso down (Really, you’re not much more than a torso, head and arms anyway…) and bites deeply into the thick band of muscle at the base of your neck!

(2+1) You flounder and flail at the thing with the deathgrip on your neck, but to no avail. At least you didn’t slip into unconsciousness or lose hold of your sword. That would have made it really difficult to escape this thing that’s determined to have you for dinner.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:24:00 pm by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:51 am »

((So sorry to keep asking this, but did that bite do any serious damage? I mean my wounds aren't updated, which tells me no, but the flavor text makes it out to be pretty bad))

Push blade into its throat and sever its head. Then get out of there, stealthily as possible.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 28, 2014, 02:08:44 pm »

"Well."

This demon's talking is tiresome. Drive the staff into its throat.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 74