Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 131930 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 32 - The Hundred Deaths
« Reply #630 on: January 28, 2014, 08:34:13 pm »

((Um, my LEFT hand was the one that got blown off.))

"I will show you who can't control my power!"
Strike the earth with my right hand. Channel Earth magic through it, creating a ridge of earth rising up and forward to strike Vanda.
Also work on reforming my hand.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 28, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »

Baldur leaps forward to try to protect Felice. He also tries to slash at Vanda if he gets the opportunity.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 28, 2014, 10:10:28 pm »

((Obviously you just put two hands onto your right instead of fixing your left :P))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 28, 2014, 10:50:07 pm »

((Obviously you just put two hands onto your right instead of fixing your left :P))
((I'll need to fix that when reforming my hand.
And if I have to make a new one...do you think I could use earth magic to manipulate metal?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:48 am »

Sorry that I haven't been around! I just moved cities.
Uh. No. Check page 13, that's the page with the turn where you blow your hand off. And it's the right hand.

Quote from: GreatWyrmGold
Strike the earth with my right hand. Channel Earth magic through it, creating a ridge of earth rising up and forward to strike Vanda.
I'm not entirely sure that Felice will be impressed with you trying to launch massive waves of rock in his general direction.

Also, since your Earth skill is 0 you'll only succeed on a six. However, since it's a massive-scale magic that's well above your level, succeeding on it would be worth two experience points - putting you at level 1 in Earth magic and allowing you to do it more naturally.

And if I have to make a new one...do you think I could use earth magic to manipulate metal?))
You don't need to make a new one, the magic will reassert itself after this turn. But yes, Earth magic covers metal.

((So sorry to keep asking this, but did that bite do any serious damage? I mean my wounds aren't updated, which tells me no, but the flavor text makes it out to be pretty bad))
Not yet. Since piercing the skin there will probably result in a rather important artery in your neck being opened, I figured it'd be polite to give you a fighting chance :P

Baldur leaps forward to try to protect Felice. He also tries to slash at Vanda if he gets the opportunity.

You had better reeeeaaaally hope GWG doesn't roll a six.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:46:29 am by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:30 am »

I'm not entirely sure that Felice will be impressed with you trying to launch massive waves of rock in his general direction.
Ideal world, it'll function as an attack on the demon.

Also, since your Earth skill is 0 you'll only succeed on a six. However, since it's a massive-scale magic that's well above your level, succeeding on it would be worth two experience points - putting you at level 1 in Earth magic and allowing you to do it more naturally.
Whoo! I can't overshoot!
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 29, 2014, 08:47:19 am »

((So sorry to keep asking this, but did that bite do any serious damage? I mean my wounds aren't updated, which tells me no, but the flavor text makes it out to be pretty bad))
Not yet. Since piercing the skin there will probably result in a rather important artery in your neck being opened, I figured it'd be polite to give you a fighting chance :P
((WOOOO +1 ENDURANCE :D
That comes SERIOUSLY in handy. I mean I know I'm probably suicidally cocky about this, but what does it take to kill me right now?
I have the +1 not dying skill and regeneration. Not particularly FAST regen mind, but its enough to regrow limbs so assuming I did get arteried there, but killed the monster and did some fast tourniqueting what would my chances be?

Actually that brings up something I've been meaning to ask, what would you consider to be the level of Thuun's non-magical training in regards to healing/medicine? I mean is he just at basic first aid level without the fanciness, or could he perform open heart surgery with a reasonable degree of success?))

Indeed, I do this.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 29, 2014, 08:53:30 am »

"Bah, I've caught fish more fiercesome than you"

Evade the attack. Depending on how far away I can evade the charging demon, retaliate with my bow or my dirk. aim for either his undamaged hand or his head. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:18 am »

...so assuming I did get arteried there, but killed the monster and did some fast tourniqueting what would my chances be?
((Worse than if you didn't tourniquet, because that's intended more for making sure people don't die from amputations. And you'd be tying it around your own neck.))
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:26 am »

...so assuming I did get arteried there, but killed the monster and did some fast tourniqueting what would my chances be?
((Worse than if you didn't tourniquet, because that's intended more for making sure people don't die from amputations. And you'd be tying it around your own neck.))

Go on, try it. At least your graveyard entry will be amusing.

That comes SERIOUSLY in handy. I mean I know I'm probably suicidally cocky about this, but what does it take to kill me right now?
You misunderstand. You didn't get wounded yet. Not because of your endurance but because I wanted to give you a fighting chance. You can still die from basically anything - it just has to hit you a little harder to actually stick. I haven't quite worked out how to apply it to you because nothing's actually laid a finger on you yet.

Which makes the fact that you're the most grievously wounded person in the party utterly astonishing.

Buuuut I imagine that it'll mostly apply in a case of wounds take one turn less to close up and you take one turn longer to bleed out.

Quote from: BFEL
Actually that brings up something I've been meaning to ask, what would you consider to be the level of Thuun's non-magical training in regards to healing/medicine? I mean is he just at basic first aid level without the fanciness, or could he perform open heart surgery with a reasonable degree of success?))
First aid level. Slightly better than Lyu, since you wouldn't go rubbing random shit into a cut. You could probably bandage a wound and do half-decent sutures, but if you try and treat an amputation without magic your best bet would be fervent praying.

Ideal world, it'll function as an attack on the demon.
In the context of earth magic, you're basically an untrained lunatic waving a dangerous weapon around hoping to perform a single tactical strike.

Whoo! I can't overshoot!
You can - you still have Righteous Litany - but it'll be damn hard. Huh. I never realised that. Well there you go.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 29, 2014, 10:45:04 am »

((Whoo, untrained guy with a dangerous weapon not pointed at me!))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 29, 2014, 10:54:53 am »

Go on, try it. At least your graveyard entry will be amusing.

((Twould appear I am not a healer in real life :P
I meant bandaging it to generally stop the bleeding, didn't realize there was a difference))

You misunderstand. You didn't get wounded yet. Not because of your endurance but because I wanted to give you a fighting chance. You can still die from basically anything - it just has to hit you a little harder to actually stick. I haven't quite worked out how to apply it to you because nothing's actually laid a finger on you yet.
((So the endurance thing is something along the lines of "it needs a 6 to critically wound you, but a 5 will still wreck your shit pretty bad" or is it just the slightly longer to bleed out thing?

Does the regen have ANY conceivable impact on my combat survivability? I mean I know its not perfect by any means, but it healed some wounds off my teamies while they were nearby, and did so in a timely fashion. Though I suppose that could just be its initial activation effect, but from what I've seen it seems like it would make it much harder to put Thuun down for good.

Also unrelatedly, I PMed you some more "backstory-y" questions, in case you didn't notice :P))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »

((The question is one of speed. Sure, over several minutes it can let you regrow limbs, but what good does that do you over the seconds of combat?))
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:08 pm »

((So the endurance thing is something along the lines of "it needs a 6 to critically wound you, but a 5 will still wreck your shit pretty bad" or is it just the slightly longer to bleed out thing?
Longer to bleed out and shorter to recuperate. Call it an executive decision as of now; the way the RtD combat is structured, I can't find any sane way to work in any other uses. Maybe next time round when I rework the system, but for now you take slightly longer to die from a mortal wound.

Quote from: BFEL
Does the regen have ANY conceivable impact on my combat survivability? I mean I know its not perfect by any means, but it healed some wounds off my teamies while they were nearby, and did so in a timely fashion. Though I suppose that could just be its initial activation effect, but from what I've seen it seems like it would make it much harder to put Thuun down for good.

Again, GWG has the right of it. You'd probably heal a graze before the confused beast's eyes, but if he tears your throat open you're dead. If he tears an arm off and you stop the bleeding, over a day you'll regrow your arm, but in a fight it's worth nothing. In general, it reduces the number of turns wounds take to heal by one or two, depending on the severity of the wound.

Your teamies got healed 'cause you rolled a six or two in the casting, so the magic sorta overflowed onto whoever was handy.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 33 - The Hundred Tombs
« Reply #644 on: January 31, 2014, 06:40:34 am »

Well. All I can say is that thankfully Thuun wasn’t there to add his own little flavour to the gemors.

- Turn 33: The Hundred Tombs -
Vanda of the Hundred Deaths is facing off against the four of you… who will make it out alive?

Push blade into its throat and sever its head. Then get out of there, stealthily as possible.
(2) Your blade completely misses his throat. Thankfully, it distracts the little bastard from eating you. The monster hisses and rears up in astonishment and anger before drawing back one fist to strike you. (6) You let its fist strike you across the jaw - you feel something crack, painfully - so that you receive the opening you need. (4+1) Your shortsword slams into the creature’s throat, properly hitting this time and killing the damn thing instantly. There’s a jolt and the khaki colour fades, revealing that the now-dead monster was once a Cylenian.

You heave the monster off, resheathe your blade and decide to high-tail it out of there. (2) Naturally, you break several sticks as you drag your sorry arse into the bushes to hide. Well, shit. There’s a few more hooting calls from the trees around you and three more monsters appear, dropping to land silently next to their fallen brethren.

You watch in disgust as they tear the corpse apart, each of them grabbing a limb and biting deeply into the flesh. You struggle to keep your lunch down; throwing up right now would be a very, very bad idea.

Your legs feel funny. You feel your legs tenderly. Are… Are those shins? Teeny tiny shins? Yes!

This demon's talking is tiresome. Drive the staff into its throat.
“Well.” You step in between Vanda and Felice and draw your staff back as the demon-beast-thing comes flying through the air directly at your face. You have a momentary thought that perhaps this wasn’t the best idea. You grip your staff with both hands and set yourself. (6+1) Vanda’s yellow eyes momentarily widen in panic, but (4+1) he manages to twist himself in midair just enough to almost entirely avoid your bronze-shod staff.

He screams in an unearthly, mind-shattering voice as his hand catches on your staff at the wrist and is completely torn off. He flies through the air and collides with you, knocking you over and sending your staff flying. His weight is pinning you solidly to the floor; you notice that he is far heavier than any human should be, yet still apparently as fit as any prime swordsman. Vanda clambers to his feet. “You bastard!” he yells, drawing back the stump of his right arm. Lightning, blacker than the inside of a coal mine, is already crackling around the wound and burning it shut.

He swings at you, twice. (3, 1) His right stumpy arm cracks you across the jaw but does very little in the way of damage. (5, 1) His left hook comes streaking down for your face again, but you somehow manage to interpose your arm and block his strike. Good God it feels like a freaking sledgehammer just blasted into you. You manage to deflect the blow, however, and take a swing at his angry, mottled face with your left hand. (3+1) You crack him across the jaw and he winces.

(1) Vanda manages to grab both of your arms in his huge, meaty hand and pins your arms above your head. He draws the stump of his left arm level his his growling face. Black lightning begins to coalesce around the stump; the shadow of fire blooms. “Now, you arrogant little shit…” He mutters, before pausing. His jaw works for a second and then he spits out a tooth that you must have knocked loose with your fist.  He presses his arm stump against your forehead as the terrible blast builds up, clearly intending to fire it at point-blank range. “Now it’s time for you to die!”

Evade the attack. Depending on how far away I can evade the charging demon, retaliate with my bow or my dirk. aim for either his undamaged hand or his head. 
"Bah, I've caught fish more fiercesome than you!" you howl as he leaps for you. You’re about to roll out of the way, but suddenly Lyu is there. Their little scrap is over in an instant and Vanda is about to blow Lyu’s head off.

You have a split second to act; out of the corner of your eye, you see Ekoka’s arm-stump glowing with the wan, orange-ochre colour of earth magic, but it’ll be too late. Your dirk comes whistling out of its sheathe in the small of your back. With only moments to spare you go to fling the dirk (3+1, 4) and it sinks into his left hand, the one holding Lyu’s arms down. Vanda rears back, his khaki face contorted in an expression of rage, pain and… hunger? “You degenerate freak!” he thunders and thrusts his stump towards you.

A black ball of pulsing energy has formed there, lightning coursing across the surface. As you watch the lightning shimmers and vanishes as the monster’s will relaxes, releasing the torrent of energy directly at you. (4+1) You effortlessly dodge the blast, but an arrow tumbles out of your quiver as you dive to the side. You grab it between two nimble fingers, twirl it into your hand and fling it. (1+1) The arrow flies well wide and the demon-thing just laughs.

Lightning begins to form again, on both hands this time. A ball of power rapidly forms in his left hand; on his stump, the lightning condenses into a clawed, crackling mockery of a hand.

"I will show you who can't control power!" you yell, drawing your will into the stumpy bits on the end of your right arm. Ochre light flares. (6+1) (What. The. Hell.) The light blazes so brilliantly that your eyes sting, but you manage to maintain coherency enough to slam your stumpy arm into the ground.

The ground is like an extension of your will; shockwaves of power ripple forth and a wave of rock rips from the ground and bears down on Lyu and the demon-monster-thing. Oh. Shit. Right, Lyu’s still in the way. Well. In the instant remaining, you offer a quick prayer to Solvarion to protect his priest. Then you remember the priest’s habits and wonder just what Solvarion would think, anyway.

Vanda tries to avoid the wave, but it still catches him; it sweeps up both him and the priest in a humungous torrent of airborne earth and rock and flings them bodily into the side of a house. The gigantic shockwave of earth crashes into the house after them, burying the two in rubble.

As the dust settles it reveals a startling visage. Massive spikes of rock jave torn their way out of the ground and trace a path right through where Vanda and Lyu were, ending at the rubble of the house the magic collided with. The house itself has clearly collapsed; the shockwave has knocked down four more. (1+1) A pile of bricks falls away, revealing Vanda’s broken body. The creature struggles to sit up, but it’s apparent that he can’t, since (3) his arms are totalled. There’s nothing left of his arms but flattened smears of bloody flesh; not even the black, cursed lightning can heal that. You hope.

(1) Lyu’s staff can be seen, snapped into three pieces. There’s an awful lot of blood leaking out of the bottom of the rubble pile. If even half of that is Lyu’s, then he is in serious danger.

(4-1) Your body pulses painfully and is racked with spasms as the magic fades from your blood. You slump to your knees, absolutely exhausted. Bruises rapidly spread across your entire body and your joints stiffen up, making it very difficult and painful to move. (-1 to all physical activity for three turns; -2 if it’s extremely strenuous)

You somehow cast that ridiculously complex spell! +2 Earth experience - which means you’re now a Level 1 Earth magic adept!

There’s a clattering sound as pebbles leap up and reform your rockhand.

You stride over to Vanda. The monster is gasping like an air-drowning fish. “Curse… you…” he mutters as his one good eye fixes on you. His other eye is glazed over and bloody. “How… could mere food… kill me?”

You lift up your sword. “Guess your last meal didn’t agree with you.”

The broken blade of your greatsword slides effortlessly into and through his broken chest.

An ugly light flares and you feel a jolt course up your arm. As you draw your blade out of the body, you watch in astonishment as the creature’s khaki skin fades. In a wave emanating from your fatal wound, the green tone vanishes to reveal the brown skin of a Limerete; the dead yellow eyes soften and melt into their usual green colour. Apparently, on death the curse is destroyed.

Deep under the rubble, Lyu stirs. He can feel that he’s in intense pain and rather deep trouble; he panics slightly in his tomb under all of the rock. He knows that he’s been wounded somehow, but he can’t quite figure out how under all of the rock pressing on his… everywhere. But if he doesn’t get out soon, the rock will crush him completely under its weight.

Lyu currently has one turn to live. You guys have to dig him out. Unfortunately, he also has been wounded and that will require treatment; it’s not life-threatening, but there is a chance he may lose a limb.

On the upshot, next time Ekoka does that he’ll have the control to avoid hitting his teammates. Hopefully.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:18:27 am by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 74