Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 130165 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets
« Reply #1080 on: April 10, 2014, 06:13:06 pm »

((Yeah, I'm totally stealing the parrot idea. It's just too perfect what with Felice being a sailor.))

Buy the enchanted longbow for 1300, 9 lightning arrows for 90 and 2 high quality arrows for 10, coming to a total of 1400. Then inspect the enchanted longbow . And then go shop around for a parrot, preferably one that can talk. If no parrot is being sold, look at other small animals

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 10, 2014, 09:18:27 pm »

The wisecracking parrot probably wouldn't be able to fly with armour.
...That's the only problem you have with that idea?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 11, 2014, 08:45:05 am »

((Probably, yeah. But does one really get a parrot for its flight capabilities?

But yes, from a practicality standpoint an armored monkey (or better yet an armored orangutan) would be preferable. Though the armor would interfere with thievery. Hm.

Well, maybe armor isn't strictly necessary as long as we get a breeding pair. And maybe we could get, like, a parrot that we can then supercharge with life magic. Or a monkey that we supercharge with life magic. Imagine a magically supercharged monkey that obeys our every command. The possibilities are endless!))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 11, 2014, 08:45:50 am »

If someone else gets the parrot, you might be able to convince Ekoka to enchant it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 11, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

Well, maybe armor isn't strictly necessary as long as we get a breeding pair. And maybe we could get, like, a parrot that we can then supercharge with life magic. Or a monkey that we supercharge with life magic. Imagine a magically supercharged monkey that obeys our every command. The possibilities are endless!))
Its so obvious that you think Thuun is the only one insane enough to enchant a monkey. Also a BREEDING PAIR? Are we gonna retire from saving the world and just operate a underground monkey breeding/thieving ring? :P

So Niccolo, I assume the enchanted chainmail gets the same bonus as the normal bronze? And why is the chainmail weak against STABBING? I mean, piercing attacks are pretty much what chainmail is MEANT TO DEFEND AGAINST. Bludgeoning, on the other hand....chain won't do shit to protect your ribs from getting cracked by a mace.

Assuming the enchanted chain is of the same quality as the bronze chain, buy it and put it on over my current leather armor, then meet the others on the outskirts of town. Sit in whatever transport Baldur has procured and read one of the magic books I haven't read yet.

I would have went for a less messed up sword too, but I'm pretty sure I can just repair the one I have and/or forge another one from pure magic.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 12, 2014, 02:45:50 am »

...That's the only problem you have with that idea?

What, you having a pet parrot? I have no problem with that at all. You trying to stuff the poor thing into a tiny breastplate? Now that's just cruel.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:44 pm »

So Niccolo, I assume the enchanted chainmail gets the same bonus as the normal bronze? And why is the chainmail weak against STABBING? I mean, piercing attacks are pretty much what chainmail is MEANT TO DEFEND AGAINST. Bludgeoning, on the other hand....chain won't do shit to protect your ribs from getting cracked by a mace.

Funny thing about chainmail. It was great at stopping slashes and could generally stop light arrows (unless the heads were really really thin), but when you get stabbed by melee-type blades, the force tends to deform the links. If the links were welded shut, theoretically they would be slightly better at stopping stabs (though not too much better) but this is the bronze age; welding is a little ways off.

Now, I should note I took this all straight from a forum called "The survival podcast" where people were discussing the possibilities of using chainmail specifically as a defense against getting knifed. Whether they're actually correct or not, I don't know, but I'm going with the crazy survivalists on this one.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 13, 2014, 07:31:31 pm »

It sounds reasonable. Not sure how they made chainmail, but it sounds pretty close to my trivial knowledge.
(It's part of the reason why stabbing-type swords eventually predominated over slashing-type swords.)
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 14, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »

Funny thing about chainmail. It was great at stopping slashes and could generally stop light arrows (unless the heads were really really thin), but when you get stabbed by melee-type blades, the force tends to deform the links. If the links were welded shut, theoretically they would be slightly better at stopping stabs (though not too much better) but this is the bronze age; welding is a little ways off.

Now, I should note I took this all straight from a forum called "The survival podcast" where people were discussing the possibilities of using chainmail specifically as a defense against getting knifed. Whether they're actually correct or not, I don't know, but I'm going with the crazy survivalists on this one.

Well I guess I have to default to your knowledge of medieval chainmail, though I have heard stories of LARPers wearing real chainmail getting shanked by muggers and just laughing it off because they were wearing fucking chainmail. Also one where the guy in question pulled out a fucking broadsword and chased the silly mugger guy.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:04 pm »

Yeah, that's because if someone stabs a dude not expecting chainmail, then the blade won't have nearly enough force to penetrate. Though why you'd try and knife somebody who's walking around with a goddamn broadsword I don't know. To drive a blade through chainmail certainly takes more force than soft doughy flesh (No matter how iron-hard your abs are), but far less force than to drive through, say, a piece of plate armour. Even leather armour can be better, since the resistance offered gives you the second you need to twist out of the way. That's what the purpose of leather armour was; to give you the time to escape the attack before all of the force had actually been given to you.

Modern chainmail is also a fair bit better simply because metallurgical techniques have improved vastly in the few hundred years. Metals have gotten lighter and stronger! And welding! spot-welding the rings shut improves their resistance to stabbity action simply because the rings can't deform as easily.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:18 am »

Well I guess I have to default to your knowledge of medieval chainmail, though I have heard stories of LARPers wearing real chainmail getting shanked by muggers and just laughing it off because they were wearing fucking chainmail. Also one where the guy in question pulled out a fucking broadsword and chased the silly mugger guy.
Well, you really can't put much force behind a knife. Those things are useful for getting around armor, but less for getting through it.
And that is one of the funniest attempted muggings I've heard of. "Those people are wearing armor and carrying swords. Let's mug 'em!"
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:33 am »

Well, you really can't put much force behind a knife. Those things are useful for getting around armor, but less for getting through it.
And that is one of the funniest attempted muggings I've heard of. "Those people are wearing armor and carrying swords. Let's mug 'em!"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/MuggingTheMonster/RealLife

Its in there.
And, bonus points, it was a chick who responded with "I'll see your six and raise you thirty-five"
Apparently, the LARPers now sing SONGS about it.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 16, 2014, 08:38:23 am »

Ah, those creative anachronism people. They're quite amusing.
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 17, 2014, 05:52:34 am »

Unless you exclusively make money through shanking dudes, in which case it's more "Aw fuck, not another one."
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 17, 2014, 07:14:11 am »

Unless you exclusively make money through shanking dudes, in which case it's more "Aw fuck, not another one."

Well if your career path is "shanking people" then living free for long enough to meet TWO victims with chainmail and broadswords is...actually kind of impressive.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74