Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with a blind dwarf  (Read 1776 times)

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with a blind dwarf
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:21:55 pm »

So, how useful is a blind dwarf? Do they not run away from enemies? Can they still operate siege equipment?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: What to do with a blind dwarf
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:20 pm »

Somewhat useful, correct, yes.

Only downside is that they pretty much can't produce quality goods
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »

Yes,they can still do tasks, just not as well as others. However, if you protect them well, they are very good at manning ballistae, because as you mentioned, they don't flee from enemies.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:18:45 am »

Send him to HFS, he could become a demon hunter.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:03 am »

they are very good at manning ballistae

Only in Dwarf Fortress can we have blind siege-operators.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:59:28 am »

If blind dwarfs perform as though they're dabbling at a skill, won't that affect their reload times as well? I know that the time spent loading a siege weapon is a major stumbling block with their use, so it could well be that the benefit of the dwarf not panicking when seeing a nearby foe would be lost by them taking too long for reloading to establish a useful firing rate.

The best ballista use doctrine probably still isn't to blind the operators, but to set up the ballistae so that enough distance between operator and target is guaranteed.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:06 am »

If blind dwarfs perform as though they're dabbling at a skill, won't that affect their reload times as well? I know that the time spent loading a siege weapon is a major stumbling block with their use, so it could well be that the benefit of the dwarf not panicking when seeing a nearby foe would be lost by them taking too long for reloading to establish a useful firing rate.

The best ballista use doctrine probably still isn't to blind the operators, but to set up the ballistae so that enough distance between operator and target is guaranteed.

You could just make him a legendary siege operator in the matter of some days by letting him shoot a training ballista next to a hole. The projectile can be recovered then.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »

Send him to HFS, he could become a demon hunter.

Urist McIllidan cancels Hunt Demon: Imprisoned for 10,000 years.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »

Make him a crossbowdwarf.  Hilarity will ensue.
Sanity is for the weak.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:18 am »

You could just make him a legendary siege operator in the matter of some days by letting him shoot a training ballista next to a hole. The projectile can be recovered then.
If blind dwarfs perform as though they're dabbling at a skill...
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:20 am »

As it turns out, you don't actually need eyeballs to fight. Put him in the military as a melee dwarf, and he will learn. I know this because almost the entirety of my military lost their eyesight in a confrontation with a forgotten beast, and they are all axelords now.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »

There is also, to an extent, the industrial side that can be considered. Some object, such as rock blocks, don't have quality levels. Neither do smooth walls nor mining. Heck, you might be able to make them bookkeeper/manager/broker, though I don't know how well it would work.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

Make him a crossbowdwarf.  Hilarity will ensue.

Make elevated cage of fortifications. Put blind marksdwarf. Becomes crossbow ball, like a disco ball except with more death.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »

I believe blind hammerer will miss a lot, too... or perhaps it had some other strange effect on blind hammerdwarves... I remember someone bringing that one up.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Hungry head

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »

Had a blind hunter that insisted on walk up to all kind of beasts claiming to be hunting. He somehow always manged to crawl back into the fort before getting killed and spent his times between the hunts in the hospital. Could of course have disabled hunting for him but he always seemed happy enough. So guess they can provide entertaing combat logs and experienced medical dwarfes.