Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Essential DF [ASCII/Spacefox] - release 9  (Read 29592 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Essential DF [ASCII/Spacefox] - release 9
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:10 am »

This mod keeps DF as it is, while it removes things like animalmen replacing most animal populations, or animals going extinct, or fields covered with socks and sandals from your fallen enemies, or "spotted wobbegong leather shirt".

It is a good idea to try it if you want to experience the same game with better performance and less clutter.

It is also useful if you want to make a big mod from scratch, since it keeps key elements of DF while removing overly specific ones.
And I mean it, if you want to make a new mod from scratch, use this with my full permission, no need to ask me for that. Just credit me somewhere.

Tileset preview (click images to enlarge):
- Tileset is combined by me from Spacefox tileset and Sphr and others' creature sprites.
- The TTF font is custom-tailored from a few free gothic TTF fonts to include all symbols DF needs.

TTF font is smooth, square and fancy!

Tileset is well-readable when it comes to world map too.

Ground is clearly distinct from walls, the trees have trunks and stand out well, and the tileset overall is amazing.

Streamlined game
- The game launches alongside with DFHack which patches all fixed by community bugs and errors.
- The mod comes in ASCII and with Phoebus graphic set/Spacefox tileset, properly tailored for visual experience.

Streamlined animals
- Name correction: very specific animals removed or reduced to simplier names. Many similar animals turned into one with expanded biomes.
Example: peregrine falcon -> falcon; common snapping turtle -> snapping turtle; great horned owl -> owl.
- No giant/animal man variations of animals.
- ASCII letters corresponding to animal type rather than name. A for amphibians/repties, s for snakes, u for ungulates, r for rodents, v for birds etc. No more confusion between goblins and groundhogs.
- A few more animal men from caverns form camps.
- Cats are replaced by Alynxes which can be both hunting animals as well as meat/fur source (bigger than cats, smaller than bobcats).
- More animals can hunt vermin.
- Grazing animals require less pasture area.
- All australian animals are moved to "temperate savage" not to clash with common animals in generic temperate areas,
- Many animals have vocalization (dogs bark, cows moo, mooses bellow, eagles screech etc).

Streamlined gems
- Decorative: citrine, lapis lazuli, onyx, opal, rock crystal.
- Precious: aquamarine, beryl, garnet, jade, tourmaline, zircon.
- Rare: amethyst, emerald, ruby, topaz.
- Exceptional: diamond, star emerald, star ruby, star sapphire.

Streamlined geology
- Layers: Conglomerate, sandstone, siltstone, gneiss, schist, slate, quartzite, granite, basalt, obsidian.
- Flux: chalk, marble.
- Coal: Anthracite, bituminous coal, lignite.
- Other minerals: alabaster, gypsum, bauxite, rock salt.

Streamlined metals
- Ores: iron ore, tin ore, copper ore, native silver/gold/platinum/aluminum.
- Metals: Only copper, tin, iron, bronze, pig iron, steel, silver, gold, platinum and aluminum. Prices are adjusted to make metals more valuable.

Streamlined leather
- Any animal produces generic "leather", "silk" and "wool" instead of "spotted wobbegong leather".
- Several leather types: fur, leather, hide, scale and chitin.
- For modders: I created special body detail plans for furry, woolly, scaled, chitinous, feathered and hide-covered animals.
- Small animals produce no leather at all (for modders: small body detail plan without leather).

Streamlined clothing
- No socks, mittens, sandals, scarfs and other clothing which could cause clutter in the clothing stockpiles after traders/enemies arrive.

Streamlined megabeasts
- Semimegabeasts and megabeasts know no fear and feel no pain. You will no longer be able to kill a dragon by lodging a bolt in his toe.
- Dragon and hydra leave jagged dragonscale which can be tanned into "dragonscale", copper-level leather.

- GRAPHICAL VERSION
- ASCII VERSION
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:11:48 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Essential DF [ASCII/Spacefox]
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »

For the next release I will add megabeast/semimegabeasts.

My current plans: no pain, no fear for them all. Material resistance to megabeasts.

Regarding evil and good creatures, I may keep them as they are, but stressing their magical nature would be nice. Almost no creatures use the new interactions or abilities Toady added with sponsored animals and DF2012, so while I want to keep it close to vanilla, something that COULD happen in vanilla would be nice.

If you people want to brainstorm, it could help me a bit.

I also think about refining plants. Like making all dyes avaliable, and possible make flour usable for bread baking.
People which play vanilla mostly would help me a lot. I am too used to total conversions and large mods, so those people could make good suggestions regarding small details which do not break the feeling of vanilla DF.

Another thing which I would like to port from Genesis is animal and creature sounds. There's no reason that only two creatures can vocalize in vanilla, I guess Toady just didn't have time or desire to add stuff like dogs barking, cows mooing etc.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Essential DF [ASCII/Spacefox] - release 2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:09 am »

Release 2 is out.

Megabeasts are back in, with immunity to pain/fear.

Good/evil creatures are sorted into appropriate files and are back too.
Female satyrs are added, they are called dryads.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Essential DF [ASCII/Spacefox] - release 3
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:47 am »

Release 3 is out.

- Better tree tiles for graphical version. Green during summer, white during winter.
- Better stone tiles and colors for a uniform look.
- Wool works properly.
- Diplomats and trade representatives for all other races.
- Small tweaks to tileset to make caverns look better:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:02:54 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 05:59:23 am »

If you need anything from Accelerated DF, feel free to grab what you like. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:02:05 am »

Thanks, although I doubt I want to go too much that way.

As you may see, it's partially modest mod, partially accelerated DF, but without too much taking from materials list and with a big work done on animal sorting :D.

It's basically a milestone I am preparing for my future large mods as a base, as well as something those who play vanilla for simplicity may enjoy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:26 am »

Yes, my first thought was: Why is deon doing this, it sound like it already exists... but the way it sound now is that you clean up not only the frontend, but mostly the Raws themselves.  And what future mod?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:46:20 am »

Yeah, Modest and Accelerated still have all those animals everywhere in random files. Toady was adding them via fundraiser project and they are not well-organized to say the least. Not to mention some abilities or sounds avaliable to funded creatures only when they should have been added to others as well (example - vocalization).

About the mod, it's either this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132057.msg4769392#msg4769392 or TES mod I was talking about.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 11:02:51 am »

This looks interesting...

I think I'll take a look, it sounds like there could be a lot of useful stuff here.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Essential DF [ASCII/Spacefox] - release 4
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:03 am »

Take a look, I need feedback and suggestions to keep it going! To keep it close to vanilla and make it more rewarding!

Release 4.

- Added vocalizations to many animals (domestic, arctic, temperate).
- It means dogs now bark, eagles screech, cows moo, wolves howl. Travelling the wilds now feels like it.
- Yet to add sounds to tropical, evil and good animals.
- Butchering dragons and hydras should be more rewarding. They now have dragonscale which is a copper-level skin.
- Refined graphics for bushes for plants both for ASCII and graphical mode.
- Removed bamboo.

In the next release I will focus on more rewarding megabeasts. Things like gems, crafts etc you can get from butchering dragon's stomach for example. I am sure dragons love dem emeralds as gizzard stones.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »

And it was not for naught!

I already used this mod to make a base for my EA. Yes, my LOTR-mod is finally out of Beta stage, go play it you maniacs!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »

Posting to watch. :) Thanks for your efforts, Deon!

Just a question: why remove cats? Just curious. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:39 pm »

Deon, I suppose you wouldn't mind if I used this a base for a mod I'm about to make, would you?
(credits will be given, etc etc etc)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 12:18:46 am »

This is the reason I am organizing plants, creatures and other raws. For other people to use! I will put it in the first post that I encourage you all to use it.

Posting to watch. :) Thanks for your efforts, Deon!

Just a question: why remove cats? Just curious. :)
Cats are not removed, they are just a bit bigger. Alynxes are cats, which are almost dog-sized. Which makes them good for vermin hunting, leather (fur) industry and hunting as well. I just could not wrap my head around kitten leather armor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 10:15:49 am »

I spent some time last night digging through this, and I think that as far as mod bases go this is about perfect, not too much stuff and not to little, just right for customization :)

One thing: do you have plans to update this soon? Because I would like to port this to Rubble, and that is a lot of work to waste if a new version is on the way.

BTW: If you were to make this as a Rubble addon, it would be simple to provide a Rubble version and the two normal versions, all that would be required would be two addons (one for the base mod and one to provide tile values for the graphical version). The main benifit of using Rubble would be that the two version would be automatically synced.
Of course a better idea would be to wait until I finish my port, then see if you like it ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and not to mention the fact that providing copies for other tilesets would be easy as well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:18:05 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6