Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 46889 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: The Mechanic's Playground [Succession; challenge fort][Overseers Wanted]
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:07:03 pm »

I might be able for a turn so maybe put me in 7 place for turn and I would like to be a Farmer

Done.  Any particular requests for a certain embark, or any pets/animals/items you'd like your character to have?  You're our farmer; I think it well that you have something to say about the livestock situation.
Oak. Lots and lots of oak.

No problem.  I'll nab ya some 20-30 units to start.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »

Oh yeah, as the metalsmith I assume i'll have very few duties (especially early on) until we start gettting lots of goblinite.  I think that makes me a good candidate for the initial miner too.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »

Oh yeah, as the metalsmith I assume i'll have very few duties (especially early on) until we start getting lots of goblinite.  I think that makes me a good candidate for the initial miner too.

OP updated to reflect this bit of good thinking.  Do you have any pet or item requests?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 01:52:42 am »

Okay, guys - here's the world.  On it, I've marked six locales that seem interesting, each in its own way. 

<!> marks a locale, as suggested by puutuulion.  It's a very flat, frozen tundra.  Wilderness/Untamed wilds, with very deep soil and clay.

<2> Is wilderness.  Forested, with very deep soil, a stream, and clay.

<3> Is a haunted forest.  Much fun to be had.  Clay, deep soil, and a brook.

<4> Is a calm area.  Little soil and a stream.

<5> Is mostly wilderness mountain, with one tile of woodland.  Little soil, NO SHALLOW METAL, and a volcano.

<6> Is a calm, temperate zone.  Deep soil, clay, and a major river.

Other than embark <5>, all are pretty much flat.  All candidate locales have access to at least one shallow metal, one deep metal, and flux.  Except for <5>, which has no shallow metals.

Poll to follow.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 10:00:47 am »

I voted for 5.  Freezing is fun, but it'll take a lot of time to get the magma and water where we need it in order to play around with it.  Volcanos are always fun, allow a lot more creativity, and because we have no military anyway it won't be easy mode (i.e. rushing magma forges and building tons of weapons early.)

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:09 am »

Question on OP:  what trap components are allowed?

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 11:01:34 am »

I'd like a turn and a dwarf if possible.  Max Diagnoser skill, pet peahen.  No preference on the embark, other than I would like a source of sand on it somewhere as well.

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:50 am »

This is my tally:
1: Architect/Broker/Manager
2: Mechanic/Carpenter
3: Mason/Engraver
4: Metalsmith/Miner
5: Mechanic/Brewer
6: Farmer
7: Diagnoser

I would like a point in plant gathering for our farmer and a point in woodcutting and cooking for our doctor (until he can be replaced by a migrant,) if no-one minds.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »

I would like a point in plant gathering for our farmer and a point in woodcutting and cooking for our doctor (until he can be replaced by a migrant,) if no-one minds.

Thats fine with me.  Have him be a productive member of society at all times if possible.  I just hate it when I end up with a fort that has no skilled doctor migrants and dwarves start dying.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »

I mind.  We're artists; those are such vulgar professions.  Don't worry - we'll have food and logs as part of the loadout; if necessary, any of us can learn to be tough survivors on the job.
--------------------------------------------------------
Question on OP:  what trap components are allowed?

Any and all - except for weapons that dwarves could potentially use in personal combat.  Giant axe blades?  Sure.  Battle axes?  Definitely not.
------------------------------------
I'd like a turn and a dwarf if possible.  Max Diagnoser skill, pet peahen.  No preference on the embark, other than I would like a source of sand on it somewhere as well.

Glad you could make it, Dolwin.  Your peahen will be coming with us, as well.  As to sand - I doubt it, since the most popular site is mountainous - but since I won't be prospecting the area, who knows? 
-------------------------------------------------------

Okay, we have our starting 7, our embark spot is chosen, and preferences accounted for.

puutuulion, do you still want first crack at this?  If you're confident that you can be finished a turn by Sunday, it'll be all you to begin.

Once that's sorted, I'll get the embark going, and put the save up to DFFD this evening (when I get home to it).

Is everyone ready?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:43:38 pm by WoobMonkey »
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 02:08:09 pm »

Yeah I'm good to go, and I will definitely have my turn finished by 9am (CST) on Sunday.  I may even be done by 9am (CST) tomorrow.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 03:04:34 pm »

A squirt gun might fit the bill, if you're feeling ambitious about overpowered mega-traps. An aquifer really helps.

Hope for iron for magma-safe minecarts and sand for magma-safe trap components. Minecarts from the magma sea can quickly and easily fill a moat.

If you're looking to push the bounds of trap science, try to weaponize contaminated water globs using either evil weather or deadly secretions, or else try to use falling projectiles launched on a parabolic path from an upward-flying minecart. Water's probably the best choice for that, too.

Don't bother with weaponized pressurized water or relying on water flow moving things long distances. Both are disappointing.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »

<snipped for lack of relevance>

Does all that mean you want a turn, a dwarf, or what?  Most of your advice doesn't apply here - there is no aquifer in a volcanic mountain; there are no evil rains in a non-evil biome, etc.

Yeah I'm good to go, and I will definitely have my turn finished by 9am (CST) on Sunday.  I may even be done by 9am (CST) tomorrow.

Awesome.  Keep an eye out, then - the file should be ready for around 7 pm (EDST).
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Charmcrafted, the Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 07:14:43 pm »

Alright, crew - here we go!

I did the best I could to match each dwarf's skill-set with hir preferences and natural abilities.  Not everything is a perfect match, but such is DF.

Spoiler: The Dwarves (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Loadout (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Home, Sweet Home (click to show/hide)

The Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8164

------------

puutuulion, have fun! 

P.S.: we never set a time limit for each turn, so I'm doing it now.  We'll each have (2) days to acknowledge receipt of the save, and (7) days, or (1) in-game year to play, whichever comes first.

I'm sure everyone is reasonable, especially with the upcoming holiday season, if any of us needs an extra day or two.  Failure to acknowledge, however, will mean your turn will be skipped, and your name moved to the bottom of the Overseer list.

GO!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 07:19:19 pm »

got the save.  i'll start playing early tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40