Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 46938 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »

Please, try to get ridiculously arty with the fortress design.  Avoid the cliche 11x11 square rooms, as much as possible.

Aesthetics are more important than efficiency - let the philistines yammer about stepcounts and the like; we're here to make it beautiful!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »

I will do what I can.  I'm trying to get a lot done in year one and with only one miner most of the fortress won't get dug out.  At the end of the year I plan to have a good brewing industry, the mechanics connected to some good stone, some good bedrooms, and a very fun depot.  Also there is gold by the embark spot so if I can't get to it on time, whoever does turn 2 should get working on some nice gold decor.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »

Count me in on this. I may try for a turn, but probably in the later stages of the fort.
Dorf me as Firecrazy the Magma miner when a migrant wave comes.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Mechanic's Playground [Succession; challenge fort][Overseers Wanted]
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:23 pm »

<snipped for lack of relevance>

Does all that mean you want a turn, a dwarf, or what?  Most of your advice doesn't apply here...

Apologies, I was just trying to cheer you on in a constructive way. I had read your opening statement:

Are you brave, bold, and dwarfy?  Will you eschew tools of combat, in exchange for the more subtle implements of defense?  Do you enjoy the sweet, satisfying 'crunch' you hear when a bridge drops on an enemy's dome?  The whirr and hum of a well-oiled weapons trap?

I meant to suggest that there are some fantastic ideas out there that seem to match what you are describing, a couple that I've tried, other neat discussions that might apply if you're ambitious, and they can have fun results. Aren't these are relevant to your description of nifty trap-based defense schemes?

Great concept, and it'll be fun to watch!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:43 pm »

Yeah, sorry gchristopher, if I was a little brusque.  I simply wanted to focus on getting this thread up and moving, before thinking about specific designs and such.

And the question still stands: would you like a turn, a dwarf, or both perhaps?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:51 pm »

I've barely tapped the year, but I've got some ideas.  I may leave a lot of this un-dug for someone else to finish.  Let me know what you think:

Still and booze storage
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mason and block storage

Bedrooms

Butcher (possibly kitchen also)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:07:10 pm by puutuulion »

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 11:07:41 pm »

Gorgeous.  Simply gorgeous.  You are the dwarven equivalent of Frank Lloyd Wright.  Which gives me some ideas. . .
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 04:48:59 am »

There is this one slot in your opening post staring at me. Would you mind to insert my name there? Also I would like to have an alter ego of art and pacifism and fun just name some friendly dude Saegge and let me know what he is supposed to do.
It would be my very first succession fort and I haven't played for quite a time now. So I think my turn tends to produce hilarious outcome. I like this fort has not to meassure with those aggressive idiots of the army.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 05:03:31 am »

There is this one slot in your opening post staring at me. Would you mind to insert my name there? Also I would like to have an alter ego of art and pacifism and fun just name some friendly dude Saegge and let me know what he is supposed to do.
It would be my very first succession fort and I haven't played for quite a time now. So I think my turn tends to produce hilarious outcome. I like this fort has not to meassure with those aggressive idiots of the army.

Welcome to CharmCrafted, Saegge!  Remember, there is no wrong way to play DF.  The only constraints on this particular fort are all listed in the OP - otherwise, pretty much anything goes!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 08:47:46 am »

My turn is over; it was a good year, but of course I didn't get everything done.  I will upload the file and then make some posts showing key events.  Save file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8171

Important note on next turn:  I deconstructed our depot.  My plan was to have the new depot suspended a couple levels above the volcano caldera, with a wagon-only passible path.  Then I was going to have a long skinny dwarf-sized path filled with wooden spiked ball weapon traps (i.e. make the only creature-passable path to our fort be a "dodge-this" trap leading into the volcano.)  I had barely gotten started, so if you want to scrap the idea go ahead and do so, but I just wanted you to know we:
a) Have no depot right now
b) have two ways into our fort (besides fliers)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:21:45 am by puutuulion »

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 09:17:53 am »

Embark:

We're in some foothills next to a woodland on the southeast corner of the region.  The volcano is in the upper left corner, and most of the rest of the map is mountain.  Fortunately our woodland area is quite flat, perhaps the only such spot in the region, and makes a nice starting point.

4maskwolf: Build yourself a workshop and get some essentials done.  We need a hatch, some beds, and some spike balls.
Timeless Bob:  I need to get you some stone.  Go ahead and get your masonry up and running, and I'll get to digging.
Danman: I'll dig you up some farmland as soon as I get some stone for Bob.  Go ahead and grab whatever you can from these bushes and I should be ready when you finish.
Wozit: Bob needs all the stone we can get for now; build yourself a still, and I'll work on getting you some containers so we can start brewing whatever Danman gathers.
WoobMonkey:  You're a manager?  See if you can manage to cut down some trees.
Dolwin: Hopefully we don't need your skills anytime soon, but take care of all the hauling.

I know I'm going to be very limited this year by how much I can dig.  I put Puutuulion (myself) to work immediately.  I made a big stockpile outside (our wagon was tucked up in the hills.)  I dug a large trench for basic protection, clearing the trees and shrubs from the area.  Here's a picture of the starting area significantly later in the year (when I finished walling the trench up.)  FYI, I forgot about building walls too close to the edge, so I built a bunch of bridges and raised them.  I don't know how to check if they are actually raised or not, so we might have a flawed defense; please inspect it if you know how and let me know if it was done right.

I got some farms set up, and put our carpenter to work making beds and spiked balls.  As I started digging towards the volcano i found quite a bit of stone, so I was able to get our mason up and running making chairs, tables, and blocks for the walls.  I had to un-designate the volcano path for a while to get the still, kitchen, and dining room all dug out.  Our kitchen is a pig's face, and the dining room is a pig's tail:

In case you can't tell, our fort is a total mess.  Several of our workshops are just out in the main hallway, and our furniture stockpile is in our dining room (it was convenient when our only furniture was tables/chairs.)  Some major cleaning will need to be done, which will require quite a bit of excavation that I just couldn't get done in year 1.

In this next picture below, you see our z-1 level under our walled outdoor area.  Several important features:
a) our underground farms are here, conveniently just one staircase away from our above-ground farms.  Our only seed pile is located in the room on the left.
b) the external ring is our old trench.  this is above-ground and outside, so refuse does not rot here.  this ring is our only stockpile(s) for refuse/corpses.
c) the murky pool is our only water right now.  more about the blood and bones later.
d) the floor hatch in the image is not stockpiled; it is the only way in and out of our fort (besides the staircases at the highest level of the volcano caldera.)  If we go into danger mode, burrow everyone and forbid the hatch; there should be no way for non-fliers to get in.  the path to the surface is the j-tunnel that I so adore (the only access in from the surface is coming up through the hatch from below.)
e) the stockpiles around the fort are basically only currently functional for the farming/brewing/cooking industry.  everything else is messy or unpiled; this pile here was convenient located below the depot before i deconstructed said depot.  for now, you should probably just re-construct the depot above ground just outside our wall (near the staircase.)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:21 am »

Awesome work - for a digger.  XD

Now, on to see what a proper architect can do!

Once the save is up, I'll update the OP to reflect the change in regime.

Seriously, though - looks pretty amazing, puutuulion.  Seems that most of my turn will be spent organizing the stockpiles (the story of every succession fort I've been in, thus far) - which is fine by me.  I like the easy turns!

edit: did you already dorf those in queue?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:34:36 am by WoobMonkey »
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 09:43:47 am »

Year's events:

Fortunately nothing significant happened before our first migrant wave came.  In general, it was a very good wave:
4 children
peasant
potash maker
milker
farmer
fishery
craftsman
engraver

The craftsman was the most talented of the bunch, being just shy of legendary in leatherworking, bone carving, and waxing.  I enabled stonecrafting on him and dorf'd him for Firecrazy.

I noticed my framerate drop drastically while mining out some extra bedrooms for the new migrants, and my gut checked.  Low and behold, we had some new arrivals:

I've played with enough Kea before to know what this meant.  At this time, basically everything was stockpiled outside, and I knew the Kea liked to steal for value, which meant we were probably going to lose some spiked balls.  I considered that to be acceptable, so didn't bother trying to move everything indoors.  Sure enough, interruptions and theft were in our future:

Fortunately they only got the one ball and left before too long.  Honestly the work disruptions were the worst part; we were trying to get those bridges up at this time and it was really slowing us down.

After a bit we got another migrant wave.  This one didn't have any particularly useful dwarves, but I was able to draft some back-up masons to help finish the walling project:

2 children
4 farmers
2 fisherdwarves

Very soon thereafter, we encountered our first major treat, and I feared for our lives in earnest:

You can see him in the lower right, next to the peahen.  Dolwin's pet peahen.  Which brings us to that blood and bone you saw in our pool earlier.  I'm really sorry about that Dolwin; if I hadn't built too close to the edge, the walls would have been up by then and our pasture protected.  I never expected a were-rhino to spawn  right on top of us like that.  We actually got an extra peahen in the migrant wave, so we still have a breeding pair.  I've moved them indoors but don't have a nest box built yet (should be in the queue) but we have a chance for a bit of an egg industry if someone wants to finish it.  Besides the peahen, he also took down both of our dogs before reverting to a friendly human child.

In any case, maybe Armok has a grand plan, because soon afterwards our good Doctor found an outlet for his grief:

He needed bones and metal bars.  Bones we had in decent quantity (the were-rhino helped provide us some extra,) but I hadn't even considered getting into the metal yet.  I quickly drafted our potash maker Lorbam to both wood burning and furnace duty, and after a quick nap he was able to get us a couple gold bars smelted.  Dolwin finished his masterpiece rather quickly afterwards, and without incident.  Read the description carefully (sorry the image seems to be buggy; it might have gotten cropped:)

That's right; he made a figurine of bone representing our king.  Our necromancer king.  Make a note not to become a mountainhome.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:33:45 am by puutuulion »

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 09:45:54 am »

I didn't dorf anyone besides Firecrazy, sorry.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll have the rest of the year's events posted...

puutuulion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 09:59:46 am »

We were doing quite well when the caravan showed up.

I requested lots of wood, and a bit of leather and cloth from the diplomat.

We had an excess of bone so I immediately put Firecrazy to work on some bone crafts, and he got 10 cranked out in time to trade away.  I also sold our highest quality spiked balls, in exchange for some leather, cloth, lots of cheese, and some thread, splints, and crutches.  While I was busy working on getting goods to and from the caravan:

That's right, they stole the ill-omened replica of our necromantic liege.  It never occurred to me to make sure that the figurine went into an indoor stockpile; sorry everyone, but maybe the king will stay away just a little bit longer with less idols of him lying around.

I got this scary message a little while later, but he was off by himself and never interfered with me in any way:

The rest of the year was mostly expanding what we'd already built, widening the major corridor, and increasing our farm capacity.  The only other key event was one of our no-talent hacks getting all worked up over nothing:

This one also liked bone (go figure) but wanted some cut gems.  I had a jeweler shop built (also in our dining hall, because it would've blocked our main hallway otherwise -_-) but we didn't have any gem cutters.  I set our "farmer" (actually a dyer/beekeeper) Edem to the task, but he went on an extended series of breaks and drinking binges.  I then panicked and set a peasant Asen to do the same task.  Asen finished hauling his rock all the way up to the hammer-chisel room, and then HE went on a break!  Blast these worthless peasants!  I decided whoever cut the first gem was the one NOT to be damned to a life of stone hauling.

Congratulations Asen, you've been promoted to nothing but stone hauling for the rest of your Armok-forsaken life!

Apparently Dastot didn't get the message on our hole pacifism thing:

I built a weapon trap in the corner of our dining hall and installed this bad boy in there.

I really enjoyed playing this fort!  Take good care of it.  Also one note:  I had quite a few tasks assigned up and around the caldera, which may put some dwarves in danger if hostiles show up.  You might want to look around and cancel any remove ramp or build ramp/wall jobs you don't see as part of your future plans.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:21:23 pm by puutuulion »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40