Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 46931 times)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #555 on: June 06, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »

Minotaur? Well, seems my labyrinth idea was spot on... Build him an exit-less home, and drop him some "pet food" every once in a while....

Pet food means unarmed gobbos.... If you didn't get it....
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 06, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »

Minotaurcart Cannon! Stick it in a cart, put the cart in a cyclotron, double-shotgun the minotaur out when needed.

Or put it in a statue garden and watch it push over statues.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 07, 2014, 07:48:23 am »

Maybe the labyrinth is made of twisty obsidian catwalks over a magma moat on the lower levels.  Goblins try to cross, they have to take a very long path, and likely get scared by the minotaur into the magma.

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 07, 2014, 09:22:57 am »

I vote for a labyrinth. Mr. Mino will be the trial for keen invaders. If someone ever manages to pass him, we will already have just a bigger idea to replace I guess

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 07, 2014, 11:29:20 pm »

this is the journal of uber_pye_2.0. It is made of cat leather. It is written in crayon.

continue reading? Y/N?

y

17th of Sandstone

i have made blueprints of the labyrinth/death run

also I decided to name our minotaur guest Miss Mina Taur

OOC: welp, there goes an afternoon. ill show more of the quadrants when they are being worked on (exept for the lower right what should go there?), but if i cannot finish it before the end of my turn ill leave the leftover sections for the next overseer to build on.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 09, 2014, 04:44:45 pm »

this is the journal of uber_pye_2.0. It is made of cat leather. It is written in crayon.

continue reading? Y/N?

y

28th of sandstone

time for the reveal!

tricky bridge maze

bonk into magma

run from magma maze

and
Bridge Whirlpool!

2nd of timber

Utesh the weponsmith was killed by somthing!

by what though?

oh

7th of timber

Zefon got kill by my minecart skiping tester.  goodbye friend...

13th of timber

a dwarven caravan has arived!

6 wagons and 2 horse all with stuff!

and no gobolins in sight!

we can trade!

X-MAS TIME!!!!!

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 10, 2014, 06:58:55 am »

Make sure you have enough slabs. Ghosts can be nasty.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 11, 2014, 03:26:20 am »

Hmm, this turn is taking a _bit_ long, but since there's probably a new version coming out in a few weeks, i don't feel like we're going to see many more turns in any case. Unless one of the folks on the list is really itching for a turn, you can play your turn out at your leisure - and hopefully the next (or even the next two) as well.

I'll try to take stock of the status of the fort after turns; and once the new version's out and stable enough, i hope we'll see a new Charmcrafted.

@current situation - yeah, deal with that ghost. "violent" is bad news.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 11, 2014, 11:39:11 pm »

...taking a _bit_ long...
yeah sorry, ill try finishing up today, and if i don't ill post the save for the next dude anyways

continue reading? Y/N?

y

several pages have been skiped do to what looks like water damage

25th of timber

mommy said that i was sleeping on my book

sorry book

28th of timber

the angery ghost along with many others has been put to rest

4th of moonstone

we didn't trade with the dwarfss fast enough they are leaveing

or trying to

25th of moonstone

i don't think the labyrinth will be done by the end of the year

also the trade caravan is still trying to leave

27th of moonstone

Muthkat is possessed! yay!!

(this entry is in neater handwriting)

4th of opal

greeting book,

this is uber_pye_2.0's mother. after his only friends death i have noticed that he is getting lonely

and i have determined that his job as overseer has impacted his social life in a negative way. so
i am relieving him of his duty and sending him out to play with the other children.

OOC: file will come soon

X-MAS TIME!!!!!

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

X-MAS TIME!!!!!

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 12, 2014, 08:07:35 am »

So did you finish the maze?

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:55 am »

So did you finish the maze?

it is mostly carved out and some of the mechanisms and traps are in place, beds need to be added to mina's lair but it is otherwize finnished,
soooo no.

good luck next player if you need help determining the works of a seven year old dwarf just ask

X-MAS TIME!!!!!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:21 pm »

Hmpf. I see my fine (i think) bedroom has been dismantled and i haven't been given a new one. On the bright side, some overseer didn't manage to work my dwarf to death, so she finally picked up a new friendship. And seven of her pet cavies are still alive.

Well, the water-skip probably was a bust because the cart only had five steps to spend over the channel, and skipping only happens when it actually tries to drop below the surface - step six or seven. RIP Zefon.

The soapy citadel is definitely very soapy and shiny. I like it. Looking through the records, we're still not really a paragon of efficient defence - counting much of cavern life as potential enemies, i came to 228 killed and 43 captured foes, while i counted 267 presumably-fort-citizen dwarfs who got killed (everyone with a civilian profession other than "trader"). Including prisoners, we're just about breaking even, and our own dead still signifcantly outnumber the living - and we have 165 living dwarfs.

It also appears that all agrarian-based industries have been gutted - we have only one each of the relevant workshops, which is _not_ an adequate state of affairs with that many beards. In addition, a seed barrel has been re-instituted, which is likely to hurt our farming whenever seeds get produced anywhere.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 12, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »

It also appears that all agrarian-based industries have been gutted - we have only one each of the relevant workshops, which is _not_ an adequate state of affairs with that many beards. In addition, a seed barrel has been re-instituted, which is likely to hurt our farming whenever seeds get produced anywhere.

The seed barrel was probably me, forgetting not to disable them in the food stockpile. We're not farming anyways, I don't think. I remember setting all the farms to fallow at some point or another and I'm not sure they got enabled again. Next Overseer should check that out. Only one workshop really shouldn't be a problem though, especially not with food, since all that is centralized in one nearby location and should be processed quickly. I personally endorse having one or two workshops and one or two very skilled dwarves per job, rather then many workshops and many unskilled dwarves per job and the Citadel's layout reflects that. If you WANT to dismantle my system, I can't actually stop you. But I don't think its actually harming the fortress and definitely make it more user-friendly. A Farmer is now a Farmer, not someone who engraves, does masonry and brews. Although an extra Brewer and Still is a good idea regardless. And we have a lot of legendary weavers and clothiers that might need more workshops too. But besides that, we should be fine if no major [Despecializing everyone] changes were made since my administration.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 12, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

Heh, further development is of course up to the next overseer. I was just pointing at a few things i consider worth looking into, just to keep the bases covered.

The farms have been re-activated by Uber Pye, but seed barrel and overall workshop structure were probably not changed much. My main concern is that one brewery and one each of the textile workshops may be a bit low for >150 people. At the time of hand-over, booze stocks are around 650; enough for a season, but might lead into trouble if the jobs cancel out for whichever reason and the overseer's not aware. There are also next to no homemade textiles around, which means there hasn't been much clothesmaking going on. I can't eyeball the situation, but clothing unhappiness can get ugly fast, so that's another thing to pay attention to.

Oh, and i just realised - trading with the dwarfs was probably a bit weird, because two depots were active, resulting in the usual mixup.

As far as everything else goes, i think Uber Pye did a splendid job (as usual). The next overseer will get to play with a populous, wealthy and happy fort with solid defences and lots of options for new projects.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40