Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 23547 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 16, Dark Corners of the Land
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »

Hey; whatever you want to run is good with me. I like both of those alternatives you suggested. Could you elaborate on the elf-based apocalypse one a bit?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 07, 2014, 01:16:04 pm »

Hey; whatever you want to run is good with me. I like both of those alternatives you suggested. Could you elaborate on the elf-based apocalypse one a bit?

It starts out like this:

You are all elves in a bar. Elven hunters, elven farmers, elven vagrants, elven thieves and other people, but nobody particularly important, in a bar. And then a portent arrives that marks you as the bringers of the end of all things irrevocably and completely, at which point adventure ensues across a dying world. Basically a fantasy RTD where you start out as your average elven peasant and eventually become one of the horsemen of the apocalypse, provided nothing kills you first. The world, as a side note, would have extinction of humans as a semi-important background element.

Also, note: since it looks like I'll keep running this after all, since la is bound to respond once he reappears and we already have a majority alive and kicking, I would prefer it if, from here on in, you people wouldn't post dialogue apart from, say, personal narration. I find that posting dialogue breaks the pace and delays turns to an unfortunate degree, and would prefer it if dialogue was simply stated as an action - goals you're trying to achieve and how you'd go about it. I really liked the liberties I could take in Kingspawn, and I think it leads to better character moments that way as well as improves efficiency quite a bit. Let's go for a more collaborative narrative mediated by rolls, yes?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 07, 2014, 01:19:34 pm »

Like this?  Original struck out for reference.

She starts to talk at you, mumbling at first, but then taking a step back and starting to gesture less than eloquently as well. Being reasonably well-educated on southern Allochthonian dialects after your time spent in the taverns of the area, you're vaguely getting what she's saying, and that's apparently something about a town that she's been to, and people she saw there. She seems awfully friendly in addition to being awfully drunk, which you think is a winning combination. And her story involves the mountains to some degree, though you can't say you know for sure if she's talking about the exact mountains you need. It's a little difficult to extract names in this mode of communication.

"Yes, yes... this mountain, which way is it?"

Uh... okay, that's all well and good, but which way?

Ask her where the mountain actually is.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 07, 2014, 01:23:33 pm »

Yes, sort of, but more focused on goals - don't ask or say, but rather try to <goal>. For instance, try to find out where the mountain is. The bane of this game, as far as I can tell, is me doing far too many miniturns for dialogue to the point where it always becomes an inter-turn cancerous growth.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »

((So, say, we take this and ignore my previous bit of dialogue? ))

Smily warmly and try to convince these people to worship Orange Pekoe alongside with their god.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:59:01 pm by Pancaek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2014, 01:42:31 pm »

((So, say, we take this and ignore my previous bit of dialogue? ))

No, the dialogue as it is still happened - it's just that from now on I'll be writing turns based on your direction rather than quoting you verbatim where appropriate.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »

((Alright. If it helps that much, I'll edit my action.))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:01 pm »

((I'm still here?))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:03 am »

I am still here and glad that this is.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2014, 06:36:56 pm »

Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words

Jim, in accordance with Madame Tavell's wishes, takes a look around while his hostess brings over a bowl to wash himself with. A mostly unremarkable, if well-kept interior, indicative of reasonable wealth and not much more. Mostly. Apart from that, there's also pictures of people. Strange-looking people that Jim can't quite place, but that look familiar nevertheless. The pictures of the entrance hall all seem to be painted in such a way that the person depicted in them is looking at the entrance, which makes Jim feel a little bit unwelcome. But that's probably only natural.

"Right, here's your bowl - wash up now, and call me when you're done, alright?" Madame Tavell says, appearing from nowhere and passing Jim a bowl, then walking off once more. Jim, though leery of the pictures, does not let it deter him, and sets the bowl down on a nearby table and proceeds to wash himself, making sure not to bare himself too much in case somebody's watching. It takes him a bit to get all the problem areas to a state of presentability while keeping up the modesty, but it's probably well worth the effort. After all, who knows what circles these portraits may trade hushed whispers in.

... why did that thought occur to Jim?

Soon he calls out for the widow, and she comes without delay.

"Got a room ready for you - it is nothing grand, of course," she laughs, "but certainly better than outside, no?"

Led over to a chamber not very far from the kitchen, where a straw mattress can be found. Oddly, the chamber itself has a rather large door for its size, complete with a fairly sturdy lock.

"I hope you do not mind, but I will need to lock you in for the night - it is not that I don't trust your good intentions, sir, but I have been known to be a poor judge of character at times," Madame Tavell informs her guest, looking mildly apologetic, presumably expecting some form of protest at this.

Bidding her new dead acquaintance Grew a friendly farewell, Emilia leaves the hole and climbs on out, finding her way back to Reen and the gang, who are all idling irritably on the dirt streets of Yungor.

"You find something in there?" Reen asks as soon as Emilia's foot is out the doorway. Emilia, ever the quick thinker, replies without even thinking.

"No, nothing at all interesting down there that I may or may not have found. Not even dust," she says, shrugging three times and no more.

"Not even dust?" Erta wonders aloud, raising an eyebrow at Emilia.

"Not even dust!" Birto exclaims with incredulity.

"That means someone's been there! Recently, too!" Reen says, smelling blood and treasure in her future very vividly. "I must investigate. Birto, to me!" she says, leaping off the cart to the ground deftly, then heading off past Emilia. Birto, for his part, follows without a word, though he seems excited to be a part of an adventure.

Pilner, not about to give up on the first person he happened to meet along his way as a source of information, commences communication at a higher specificity and intensity, asking this woman to establish the what and the where rather than simply the how and the why. He gestures squarishly to promote a keeping within the normative bounds of location, but the woman doesn't seem to quite get that, continuing on with her tales of a mountain adventure beyond Pilner's wildest imaginings. Right now she's telling him all about this town where they serve boiled goat, can he believe it? Boiled goat! She doesn't specify what for and on what occasion, but Pilner has his suspicions regardless. He also suspects he's not getting anywhere.

He attempts to speak more persuasively and forcefully hint at needing a name or two, but the concept doesn't seem to be reaching her very well, and she goes on about goats a good while before he manages to steer her back on track, and at last get two words out.

Those words are Berrkeen Figgnirs, which he assumes to mean the Broken Fingers, which he suspected to be his immediate destination anyway. He sighs, and the woman hugs him again, talking reassuringly, slurring her southern dialect rather indecipherably.

Derek approaches the bosswoman with his entourage, feeling that a local leader of any sort, even if that of a set of clown women, may be worth speaking to if he is to assemble a flock of nudists worth reckoning with.

"Old woman! What troupe is this, that you lead?" he asks with authority.

The woman looks at him, tipping her hat backward a little.

"Old? Have you no manners, you bastardly lout? Why, I'd never!" she says, turning away scandalized. Sweetie laughs to herself, putting her index finger to her mouth.

"Yeah, that's no way to be talking to an entertaining type of person, ya bastardly lout!" Ehran says, then turns to her. "You! Showperson! Be giving us the time of day, or we won't be giving you our money, see?"

"Oh, be off already, you vile wastes of air! There's art happening here! Delicate process, not one arsebrains like you should be privy to by any means. So git!" she says, shaking her fist at both Derek and Ehran.

"Please, let us not fight when there are matters of-"

"I said git, arsebrain!" the woman repeats, retrieving a club from within a fold of her dress and hefting it up in the air menacingly.

"Maybe we are to be making with the gitting," Ehran says, looking a tad unnerved at the sight of an armed theatre person about to bash him over his naked flesh.

Edwin, faced with what sounds like doubt, tries his best to be reassuring.

"Only if He deems it necessary or right. As I've said, the great and merciful Orange Pekoe is both wise and peace loving. The only reason He would impart the knowledge of your god to anyone else is if He knows that your God could benefit from it. As he did with me."

"Hm," the man he's speaking to wonders. "But he is a god, yes?"

Edwin's not sure what to reply to that, so he nods.

"That is the problem," the man points at Edwin, smiling. "Can't trust gods. Wise gods most of all. Wise gods are tricky. Gnome god is a simple god. Wants care, wants warmth, wants companions. It is good to us because we are good to it."

A pause. Edwin starts to say something, but the man continues.

"You must leave. Leave and say nothing, not to people, not to Orange Pekoe. Especially not to the path. Balance must be kept, and never must things mix, else things will go out of their places in a bad way."

There's a slightly fearful look in his eye, and the old man can tell that things have obviously clicked in the least desirable of ways somewhere deep inside his mind.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »

Jim nods.

"I understand, ma'am. I'll be fine."

Be charming.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:55 pm »

"Then I am afraid we are at an impasse, good sir. Orange pekoe clearly has sent me here to gather your support for Him, otherwise he would not have shown me the path. I am afraid I cannot leave until I have convinced you of his greatness. Can you not reconsider?"

Try to convice the man once more. Be ready to deflect attacks should things get dangerous

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2014, 12:48:44 am »

Hope Grew is unsettling enough to keep Reen from asking the right questions.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2014, 01:57:32 pm »

Pilner sighed internally.  This wasn't going according to plan, and he figured this lead was used up.

Thank the woman and move on.  Look out for anything interesting- get travel supplies if I'm low.  Otherwise, move on out of town.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »

((I'm not sure if I should call down Karse's wrath on this foul-mouthed wench, and if anyone persuades me to do so before HB is ready to update, I may well edit my action and pray to my god to make her limbs fall off, the mouthy gobshite))

"Ehran! In then name of Karse, have some gumption, young man! This is an old woman, and merits to be called so! Is she majestic, like Sweetie? Is she naked, like us three righteous nudists? Let us depart this accursed ground, and drink heavily, until dusk."

Speak thus. Then mumble to self in a dispirited prayer to Karse:

"Oh Karse, Mighty and Occasionally Forgiving One. Pardon me my anger; I know that these dressed and angry heretics were put here but to try my patience, and it seems that I have failed. Please, send overhead a sign of your greatness; or make vanish the foul lady's clothing into Holy Nudity - or I will take it as a demonstration of your will that I must return to yon bar, and drink to mild excess, and then return once more to this place, and confront this sinful unbeliever."

Assuming that Karse does not either make vanish this foul lady's clothing; nor summon a comet above - return to the inn, and drink 6-7 pints of moderate strength ale (no more than 5%). Try to take no more than 3.5 hours to do so. Then return to the location of the old woman's troupe.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]