Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thrall-powered defenses?  (Read 3270 times)

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
Re: Thrall-powered defenses?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »

Husks:
- Are best described as "The Corruption", as they gain most of the same tokens as undead but retain their soul, skills, ability to learn, and equipment. A husked dwarf can't come back as a ghost until the husk is destroyed. I imagine this soul-trapping business is quite unpleasant.
- Have a randomly generated name, referring to the fog/mist/etc. that corrupted them, and one of the words: "Husk", "Thrall", "Zombie".
- Because they don't use the undead hitpoint system, they can only be killed by: decapitation, bisection, cave-ins, frozen in ice, encased in cooling magma.
- If the husk or its gear is coated with the evil dust/etc., they can create more husks via. melee attacks.

Animated corpses:
- Some people on the forums might call them zombies, but they can be skeletons too. They always have the name "XXXX corpse".
- They use the undead hitpoint system, so they will collapse after a few hits. They don't need a complete body, and might be only an animated hand, or survive decapitation.
- These are the things animated by necromancers or evil regions.
- The game gives equipment to some of the ones that you encounter at towers in adventure mode, but all locally-animated corpses will not have any equipment.
- They are soulless, so they have no skills and can't learn. An dwarf can come back as a ghost even while his corpse has been animated, because the soul is not trapped.

I believe it depends on the syndrome inflicted by the mist/fog. Since they are randomly generated, it is likely that at least some of them will not apply NO_AGING, just like how some slow down the victims while others get speed boosts.

Though I have no idea how to weaponize something that can take out demons without a sweat. The only thing I can think of would be to trap it in a cage, then restrain it somewhere where it can be a distraction for invaders. Though that may not work if the thrall is a dwarf, since you can't cage/restrain creatures that are the same race as your fort.

Most of the tokens are not randomly generated, so all of them are: NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:STERILE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:
NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:
NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:
NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT

Also all of them have these tokens removed: HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS

I have never seen anyone attempt to obtain husk dust/etc. and use it to contaminate a well, like the "vampire blood well" that CAN turn water-drinkers into vampires. Turning isolated people into husks could be interesting. One thing I did with the vampire blood contaminated well was to assign waterskins to soldiers, and then forbid the waterskins after being filled. I then unassigned the waterskins from the soldiers and had the contaminated waterskins taken to a secure room.

Husk water would be an interesting treatment option for critically wounded soldiers in the hospital. Hopefully the nurse can run fast!

That's an interesting idea. Maybe have a partially evil embark with thralling weather, and have a well with part of the reservoir exposed in the evil area. Of course, have the well in an airlock so you can control them. Perhaps amass your undead, then send them to hell, as was originally suggested. Such a blight would fit in well there; show the abominations of the lower realms the true power of the surface dwellers' unique curse.
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.
Pages: 1 [2]