Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil Gnomes  (Read 1518 times)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Gnomes
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:48:28 am »

Now, I am not talking about actual gnomes here, just the mountain gnomes.

I have not yet encountered evil gnomes, but the regular mountain gnomes are giving me enough fun as it is. I just set out to make my first above-ground fortress when I noticed some mountain gnomes running about. The wiki said that they were just weak gnomes fond of alcohol, so I took no precautions other than setting two unarmed recruits to guard the beer. I tried to have my dwarves start building the houses when I saw a notification that a gnome had stolen some beer. I saw that both  my guards were still there though. I had been  receiving tons of notifications about dwarves being interrupted so I decided to try and kill the gnomes. They ran away too fast for my slow dwarves to catch. It was then that I noticed the teeth. There were tons of dog teeth laying all over the ground in pools of dog blood and mountain gnome blood. I had never got an announcement that one of my dogs was fighting, but now one of my stray dogs has no teeth. My stockpiles have also all dissapeared and the goods are just lying around, or they would be if all of my wood hadn't vanished. Did the gnomes do all this? Can someone please tell me what to do?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Gnomes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:02:59 am »

As with anything in dwarf fortress, violence is the solution. Kill all animals, kill everything that waltzes onto your map.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:02:56 am »

Invest in gnomeblight, then pour it on the ground around your stockpiles (that would require some forbidding and dumping effort, check the wiki)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:21:55 am »

Gnomes are horrible.

I had one (one!) dark gnome get inside my fort when his buddies got caged, and he (by himself) drank up over 500 units of alcohol faster than my military could catch him.

I hate them.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:28:25 am »

I have had trouble catching them as they run away and a different one steals the beer. But back to the dog, why did the gnomes pull its teeth out? And why wasn't I told?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:25 am »

I have had trouble catching them as they run away and a different one steals the beer. But back to the dog, why did the gnomes pull its teeth out? And why wasn't I told?

Check the combat logs, I bet the dog fight happened long ago and I bet a dwarf did the deed.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »

I don't think you get announcements for fighting, just dwarf interruptions. Chef the "r"eports log.

The dog probably lost his teeth because a gnome punched or kicked him in the mouth.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:59:58 am »

You can channel out a trench with a 3 tile wide entrance for caravans. Put a line of traps forming a switchbacking path with any type of traps outside that entrance that forms a three tiles wide corridor for caravans. Enemies who try to go through the entrance of the channel will have to either follow the caravan path or more likely go straight over traps. It would be best if the traps were two or three thick on both sides of the switchbacking caravan path. You should put down floor or road in the path to prevent trees from growing in it.

For more security you could have a one tile wide trapped entrance from your fort to the Depot, though that will slow down dwarves hauling stuff.

It won't work against human sieges, as their diplomat takes note of trap placement, and obviously flying enemies can just fly over the trench. Another benefit however is that your dwarves will gravitate towards the heavily trapped entrance on their ventures outdoors past the trench. This means if you are harrassed by flying creatures on the perimeter of the trench they will quite often end up in a cage trap when descending to poke at dwarves with their spears.

I built a wall with fortifications on top instead, but a trench is much simpler to make, and the only downside is that you would have to avoid digging rooms into the trench.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:06:29 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:09 am »

The gnomes certainly didn't delete your stockpiles, so if that's what you mean when you say they're gone that isn't the gnomes' fault.  The worst they could've done is drink all of the booze.

Teeth fly like confetti in this game as soon as something takes a hit to the mouth- could've been a gnome, but it just as easily could've been an irritated dwarf, or one of the pack animals that pulled your wagon.  Dwarves punch things when they tantrum, and animals randomly attack nearby critters when they start to feel too crowded.  Your dog could've just been mule-kicked for no reason.