Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Alathshem Bothplanks - A tale of isolation and salty water  (Read 15609 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Alathshem Bothplanks - A tale of isolation and salty water
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:19 pm »

Ah, what a lovely site for embarkation, we have metal, clay, even flux stone!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Salt water? meh, we'll deal with it when we get there... Of course, now we just have to figure out how to get there...
Oh dear, perhaps there's another wAAAAAAYYY!!!!!

Elsewhere...
The small elven child had asked her uncle Grunwald why there were so many children that looked different than their caretakers in the fortress, and he always answered the same way, "Your parents neglected you, so we took you all in." He was always willing to answer, though he never got any more specific, such as why his skin was green while hers was the color of wood, or why some of the children had full beards, but he was the only caretaker she'd had since she was a little baby. He pointed up at the sky, "Is that the dwarven Santa, coming to deliver goodies to all the little children?"
The cart seemed to be plummeting toward the island on the horizon, just out of reach. Uncle Grunwald lost interest and wandered off, but the elf child wondered what adventures Santa's dwarves were having...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alathshem Bothplanks - A tale of isolation and salty water
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »

Nil Duknebel, Expedition leader: Well... We're alive. Somehow we managed to survive the flight across the sky onto an island crossing hundreds of tiles
There seem to be plenty of pools of water, but they are murky and will most likely get the other dwarves sick... Water systems will be needed in case, Armok forbid, the alcohol runs dry.
Well, better get these slackers busy before they drink up all our supplies.
I could've sworn we had more dwarves when we were launched...

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:48:37 pm »

Nice story so far. Pictures are funny!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:02:39 am »

Nice story so far. Pictures are funny!
Thanks, I wanted to make sure something actually happened before adding more on, I get the feeling the flying cart gag will only last for so long

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:28:50 am »

Urist Kivishsezuk, Woodcrafter: When we got launched off, we landed a bit farther from the coast than anticipated. We had to hike for weeks to find the site of the outpost, but we finally made it
they already had things pretty well set up, they even had a still running and crop fields growing.
We could finally get ourselves a drink, some of us were very happy about it

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »

Etur Nazomushrir, Peasant: I have no idea what this fortress is doing. We get shot out of a catapult and land on this island, we have to wander around for months in the wilderness to find this place and what the hell have they done? built a damn archer tower
I don't know what they think is going to attack us out on this island, but if there aren't flying goblins, they have no reason to waste good building materials like this. Some traders came, I have no idea why the expedition leader ordered a trading post built when nobody could reach us, but as they say, "If you build it they will come." Since everyone else was busy, I ended up being the one to do the trading. The only problem was we had nothing to trade, so i ended up piling a bunch of random furniture and some hastily thrown together crafts onto them to get a bit of ore and some blocks of... well, they called it slade, but I've never heard of it, it must be some fancy name for something. I got it because it looked interesting, but it's really heavy. Armok knows how these traders planned to leave, or even how they got here, their cart didn't look nearly beaten up enough to have been launched like we were. I tossed a barrel of meat in with the furniture, mostly so they wouldn't starve before they inevitably realized there was no escape and came back to join our outpost.
Then... the ocean froze...
I didn't know that could happen, but I guess that's one way travellers could get to this island...
I don't know that metalsmith who keeps running around demanding materials, but I don't think he'll finish his mood without a forge...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:14 pm »

We managed to build a forge, and Dishmab managed to finish....
a silver cage.... well, I suppose we have been ordering a lot of those lately...
We also moved the meeting area inside because of all the snow outside...
Also... whoops
The leader forgot to put in orders for more booze, and since the ocean and lakes are frozen on this island dwarves started dying of thirst....
Well, it SEEMED like a nice place to start a fortress... better switch production from cages and caves to coffins...

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »

Poor dwarves! I enjoyed the humour and the drawings, seems a nice and funny way to tell a story!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 02:32:24 pm »

I always wondered how the dwarves got to those islands, but catapults seem like as good a way as any!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 03:07:10 pm »

On Island embarks I always have the miners dig down to the first cavern before doing anything else, because obviously they tunneled up from there.  However a huge catapult or maybe "minecart assisted takeoff" would be just as feasable.

"Tuck and Roll, Damn you!  Tuck and roll!"
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 11:01:56 pm »

On Island embarks I always have the miners dig down to the first cavern before doing anything else, because obviously they tunneled up from there.  However a huge catapult or maybe "minecart assisted takeoff" would be just as feasable.

Wagons suddenly engaging their warp drives is actually a known bug, so I like to assume that's how you get to the islands.

No, seriously. The carvan will just wait in the depot for an abnormal amount of time, then rocket off the map in a solid 5 frames. "Warp Factor 5, Mr. Urist. We must outrun the Elf Warbirds!"

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:15 am »

Wagons suddenly engaging their warp drives is actually a known bug, so I like to assume that's how you get to the islands.

No, seriously. The carvan will just wait in the depot for an abnormal amount of time, then rocket off the map in a solid 5 frames. "Warp Factor 5, Mr. Urist. We must outrun the Elf Warbirds!"

So once again we find that something is "not a bug, it's actually a feature".  I love this community!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 12:19:14 am »

-This entry contains some swearing which has been censored to avoid offending the more sensitive members of our audience
Well, a few people died of thirst but we managed to survive as a fortress... Now we just have to survive the fallout of someone telling Nil Dedunknebel there was no alcohol left...
Hopefully we can calm her down before she...
Nope, she's just killed someone... okay... don't panic, don't panic.... OH F***ING S***!!! SHE'S GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!! Wait, there may be a chance, if I can get some brave souls together we may be able to...
Damn... Forgot she had a f***ing axe, guess we're doomed then, no way we can scrounge up enough crossbows to take her out and I doubt the nonmilitary halfwits here could even hit her before she stuck an axe in their heads...
Wait, she was getting a romantic relationship with one of the other dwarves
Maybe he can talk some sense into her...
Nope, he's gone stark raving mad... Oh and if that's not the icing on the s*** cake,
THE KITCHEN'S FULL OF F***ING FLIES!!!!!!
This might be my last journal entry, so if anyone reads this, DON'T FORGET THE F***ING BOOZE
-Dishmab Ulolbesmar, expedition leader

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 12:21:06 am »

Whenever I think about how an embark goes, I assume it ends with the cart being damaged beyond use, seeing as how the dwarves never move it from the spot you embark into

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 12:22:25 am »

I will try to salvage this, but since I haven't set up any decent defenses, it may be the end for this fortress. I didn't expect it to end so quickly, but a tantrum spiral is hard to undo...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5