Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Your early misconceptions about DF  (Read 18369 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Your early misconceptions about DF
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 04:43:11 am »

When a migrant dwarf brought along his pet drake, I thought he had an awesome little dragon critter.  What he actually had was a male duck.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 05:57:44 am »

I thought it was just a game.  Some ~1000 hrs later, I recognize that the word 'obsession' barely scratches the surface.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2013, 11:06:23 am »

Exponential Growth and You: I used to think of every domestic animal birth as a good thing instead something that needed to be tightly controlled in order to prevent ecological disasters.

I had reached over a thousand animals before I figured out it might be a good idea to reduce their population a little. Now I have metric tons of meat and other byproducts I'm trying to slowly process.

My suggestion is turn off everything but butchering, tanning, and animal hauling.  Use Dwarf Therapist to assign as many dwarves as you can to those tasks, and build about 15-20 of each workshop, have other dwarves crank out barrels and pots, and get to it.  Mind, that's the boring, practical solution.  The Dwarfy solution starts with M and rhymes with Bagma.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »

I thought there was only one way you could weaponize magma. Then I learned there were as many types as there are six-legged quadrupeds.

Seriously though, I thought that magma weapons were a type of building.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »

"The most important for armors are breastplates and gauntlets, the other parts are less exposed. Better use the rest of that copper for weapons."
"Ok, none of them is a proffesional and their armor was crafted by a noob, but 20 dwarves in full steel with copper hammer should keep the gobbos away. -Hand-Hammer-Head-. Can't be that hard, right?"
"Uh oh. Forgotten beast in the cavern under the main stair... Oh, he can't path. My fort is saved."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

i thought my dwarves could not move diagonally.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2013, 05:36:14 pm »

i thought my dwarves could not move diagonally.
They couldn't, in 2D.

I used to think that magma needed to be 2 z-levels deep in order to not evaporate when pumped out of the magma pipe and under a forge.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:04 pm »

I thought DF was easy.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2013, 11:11:36 pm »

I thought DF was easy.

..same here, I thought I could master the entire game in a day. Ooh dear, how wrong was I. Ended up taking an entire month to learn every aspect of it.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »

You know, I've been playing for a few years now, and all this time I thought there was a way to extract blood from animals and vermin. Now I find myself with some cages full of squirrels and things--must have killed some elves at some point--and I can't just bleed 'em out to get my cage back.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »

I thought DF was easy.

..same here, I thought I could master the entire game in a day. Ooh dear, how wrong was I. Ended up taking an entire month to learn every aspect of it.

Ah, so you've got it down now, do you?   ;)
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2013, 03:23:53 pm »

For my first day playing I thought fertiliser was mandatory for farms to work, so I ignored farm plots completely since an Ashery wouldn't build.

The whole concept of military seemed unreachable till I watched a few videos and read the wiki a lot harder. Seems simple now, but for the first few days I assumed the dwarves would defend themselves. Learnt fast!

To this day, I forget that the word siege is all about sealing an enemy inside and waiting for them to starve/break. When a siege appears I still have the urge to 'get inside, shut the door and wait for them to leave' which is exactly what they WANT you to do :P

I thought food was necessary but booze was a luxury.. only took till day 3 or 4 to realise it's the other way around for dwarves!

And my final misconception: Fortress mode is just a level editor for adventure mode. I nolonger believe that :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2013, 04:22:53 pm »

To this day, I forget that the word siege is all about sealing an enemy inside and waiting for them to starve/break. When a siege appears I still have the urge to 'get inside, shut the door and wait for them to leave' which is exactly what they WANT you to do :P
Unfortunately for them, they forget that the average embark site either has everything needed to survive, or has had time to trade for reserves of things not found on the site.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2013, 05:26:56 pm »

when i first saw it i thought it was some boring game from the 80s  :o now i see it as the awesome thing i can lead my dwarfs to extinction glory
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

BR8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2013, 06:56:44 pm »

On my first fortress, I got confused with digging vs channeling, so I had a few small areas of constructed floor and some empty space in the second and third levels.

I dug more and used the space, but the nice constructed floors don't go with the sand and rough-hewn cavern floors that exist everywhere else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5