Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Your early misconceptions about DF  (Read 18137 times)

Tuonelan renki

• Bay Watcher
  • Knitting black wool.
    • View Profile
Re: Your early misconceptions about DF
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

I suppose it is pretty telling that I just learned from this thread that any soil will do and there is no need to create mud from stagnant pools...
"We'll trade all your gold, cheese and prepared rabbit intestines to this box full of crap we carved out of limestone."
-Rockworks Sprayedswords, Baron of Helmsplunge

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 06:55:58 pm »

I initially thought it was 3d as I thought I saw a picture of it in 3d before I played it. Can't really remember the other things I believed.

It is 3D.
Aha, I meant rendered in 3d instead of top down 2d.

I haven't seen a game in 3D yet ... i guess it is ok, as it would hardly fit on my screen (i still use 2D screen on my computer)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:16 pm »

When I first started playing, I was under the impression that an aquifer was a good thing for newbs... because there were so many...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:56 pm »

When I first started playing, I had read the wiki a bit too early;

I read the portions on insanity, and its causes, and ended up in a bit of a panic when my first secretive mood happened.  Not knowing just how deeply toady had modeled insanity, I was actually worried that he had implemented reclusive serial killer type insanity, and that the withdrawing dwarf was going to start making bodies appear.

I spent a considerable amount of time studiously ensuring every possible form of happiness fun-o-meter stroking I could for my dwarfs, even going so far as to literally give them personally tailored palaces for rooms made of their favorite materials, and furnished with only the finest goods.  Naturally, my nobles HATED it.

Eventually I came to know the game and what it actually did, and came to my senses.

But at first? Whoah.  Don't underestimate the dangers of noobs over-reading the wiki.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:14 pm »

"Farms need water".

I was originally under the impression that my dwarves would simply equip weapons and armor when it was available, and became highly confused when they spent a fight against a water buffalo (to train them of course) beating it with their little fists. My first goblin attack did not go well.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:59 am »

I thought farms needed water, too. 

I would create irrigation systems from murky pools, and use them to create mud.  I didn't realize that I could put plots directly onto soil.  There would always be either too much or too little mud, and I would have to use floodgates and ditches to keep mud and water out of the halls and rooms.  When mud got into those places, I would try to clean it up.

I also got really nervous about the pools going completely dry because I thought the farms would dry out and that dwarfs needed to drink from them. I would hope for frequent rain to refill the pools, and in winter I had no water.

x3

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »

It took me a while to work out that labours can be re-assigned. I spent quite a while once hunting through ~50 dwarf profiles until i found one who had wound dressing skill.

My first attempts at military failed because i didn't know they're best directed tactically through the "s"quad command - when i hit that command, it just told me i had no squads ?? So i made squads in the military screen and never got the idea that maybe now the squad command would be a bit more useful. Obviously, the military wasn't too effective, since all i could do was activate them through the alert system and hope some of them accidentally were within earshot of the invading goblins.

Oh, and whenever i bought animals in cages, they never became visible and some time half way to the next caravan, the dwarfs told me the alpacas/goats/cows were "missing". Very mysterious...
Eventually, i realised that i had to assign them to a pasture, but i still slip up from time to time.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

I didn't know there was a manager.  I only assigned tasks at the workshops.  Yeah.  ???  Figured that one out after a few weeks, it was a joyous time.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2013, 05:59:17 pm »

When a migrant dwarf brought along his pet drake, I thought he had an awesome little dragon critter.  What he actually had was a male duck.

Hah, same thing happened to me.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2013, 06:04:25 pm »

I thought it was just a game.  Some ~1000 hrs later, I recognize that the word 'obsession' barely scratches the surface.

I'm getting there. Should I stop now or keep going?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:02 am »

I thought it was just a game.  Some ~1000 hrs later, I recognize that the word 'obsession' barely scratches the surface.

I'm getting there. Should I stop now or keep going?

JOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN UUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]