Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your early misconceptions about DF  (Read 18139 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Your early misconceptions about DF
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:59:39 pm »

Mine:

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

I didn't know you could just assign skills to dwarves and they would do that task even if they had no experience.  I abandoned several forts for forgetting to bring along a carpenter or mason.

That you needed a road before caravans and migrants would come.  I had roads all over the place my first few forts.

If a forgotten Beast can't fly, and I didn't make a path directly up to my fort, it couldn't get in.

What were yours?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your early misconceptions about DF
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »

*See a Kea
"What the hell's a 'kea'? Oh, it's just some harmless parrot."
:Kea has stolen 6 *Goblin-bone bolt*
"...they can steal... things?"

*See a Giant Kea
"Pft, hahahaha, a fucking giant-ass parrot? Everything's inside, yer stupid bastards. Urist McRanger will bag us some nice meat off them"
*30 seconds later
Urist McMason cancels store item: interrupted by Giant Kea
"What?"
Urist McRanger has been struck down
"WHAT? WHY IS THERE BLOOD EVERYWHERE? Where is Urist Mcmason?! Why are there only 5 people I can find?"
:Giant Kea has stolen 1 iron anvil.
"...W-Well I didn't need that anyways."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:14:10 pm »

I thought a farm actually required water, not just soil. Made my first few fortresses much harder than they should have been.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »

"The dwarves are thirsty? Pffft, big deal, I heard that this is a very realistic game, they can just take some empty barrels and set them outside to gather rainwater."
"The dwarves are STILL thirsty? Well, now there's snow on the ground outside, they can just melt that."
"Uhhh . . . why is everyone dying? I told them to eat the snow!"
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:24 pm »

To be a part of the world's history! I brought the world out of the Age of the Hydra and Forest Titan once, and it was the best feeling ever!

i thought that this was actually significant and would actually affect things

good thing next version is going a long way in changing that from "misconception" to "clairvoyance"

I thought a farm actually required water, not just soil. Made my first few fortresses much harder than they should have been.

Oh, yeah, and this. It's still a really common misconception, not sure what's up with it.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:43:49 am »

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Sig'd

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:51:36 am »

I thought I was in control.

I thought I was playing the game.

The game was playing me.

Also, the misconception about farms requiring water is because in older versions they did. You had to flood an area and farm on the mud left behind.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 04:22:19 am »

I suspect the "roads needed for caravans" and maybe the "farms need water" misconceptions come from people reading LPs from the 2D days.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 05:29:53 am »

I played a lot of 40d and little bit 31.25 and then 3 years of no-play.
I thought that .34 versions needed mudification/irrigation even for soil, too.
Also, I thought that undead hair swarm is a good training material for my axe/hammerdorfs
Also, I thought that cave crocodile caged invader's children after nesting would be friendly & tameable (they somehow stayed around till I noticed that 'cave crocodile child has grown to become a cave crocodile', and then I had 10 cc's maked as 'hostile' to deal with.)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:48 am »

I thought I would be able to stop playing

Also, I initially thought cave-in would happen if you dig under the ground without support. Just by digging (I didn't even knew what channelling was). So I used a lot of supports everywhere, and planned all my fort with walls in order not to have any 6x6 area without supports
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 08:50:01 am »

-snip about farms requiring water-
Oh, yeah, and this. It's still a really common misconception, not sure what's up with it.
Well, every single tutorial and wiki page about farms says that they need mud from water - but maybe 3 of 300 also explain that they need to be watered /once/.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 08:56:58 am »

I used to think you had to have magma flowing into magma forges from the same Z level. Many a miner died :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 09:22:02 am »

Also, I initially thought cave-in would happen if you dig under the ground without support.
This is another of those things that used to happen in the 2D versions. Hopefully some day we'll get that kind of stuff going on again, regardless of how amusing hollowing out layers of sand is.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 09:23:09 am »

I thought that forgotten beasts were bigger than one tile.
And that a snail titan would be snail slow.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 10:30:22 am »

And that a snail titan would be snail slow.

They might be in the next version!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5