Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Your early misconceptions about DF  (Read 18134 times)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your early misconceptions about DF
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:06 pm »

I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time making multiple z-level rooms by mining out a level and then channeling out the floor line by line, not realizing that I could do the same with a single designation of ramps.
That is a relatively new feature (introduced in mid 2012?), you used to have to do the line-by-line channeling or you'd get dwarves stuck on little islands.

Soil wasn't around before 40d either, so you had no choice but to muddy rock once upon a time too.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 08:02:00 pm »

Yes, multi-z-level designation was early 2012, 0.34.01 on 14 February to be exact.

40d has been obsolete for 3 years, so it really shouldn't be still going around. I think there may have been a bug in early 0.31 versions that made mud necessary, though.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 08:06:48 pm »

Common misconception- Dwarves don't like to be sacrificed to the magma sea.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 08:12:28 pm »

Yes, multi-z-level designation was early 2012, 0.34.01 on 14 February to be exact.

40d has been obsolete for 3 years, so it really shouldn't be still going around. I think there may have been a bug in early 0.31 versions that made mud necessary, though.

40d is still around for nostalgia reasons I guess, maybe historical if you want to put it that way.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 08:18:00 pm »

Yes, but it shouldn't be considered in today's help articles anywhere except on the part of the wiki specifically reserved for 40d.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:47 pm »

Is it in any recent help files?  Raphite1 may have gotten hold of an old help file, or remembered it from way back.  But, if it is in a more recent one, it needs to be fixed.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 09:14:45 pm »

I didn't know you could just assign skills to dwarves and they would do that task even if they had no experience.  I abandoned several forts for forgetting to bring along a carpenter or mason.
This, except with assigned nobles. "Requires bookkeeping? How the heck am I supposed to train that?" Catch-22 right there.

No, like, really. It's top-down 3D. The tiles are made of polygons. I'm not joking.
Isn't that the case with basically any video game nowadays? (Unless I'm misunderstanding how OpenGl and Direct2d work.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:17:22 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »

I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time making multiple z-level rooms by mining out a level and then channeling out the floor line by line, not realizing that I could do the same with a single designation of ramps.

HOLY HELL THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:05 pm »

Common misconception- Dwarves don't like to be sacrificed to the magma sea.

Hehe, Sigg'd.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:55 pm »

... Raphite1 may have gotten hold of an old help file, or remembered it from way back. ...

I started playing in 40d, so maybe ramp-carving did indeed work differently back then.

In case there's any confusion, I don't mean being able to do a single designation across z-levels, I mean just carving a level of ramps to create a 2-level room without channeling it from above.

Another misconception: I thought that the clothing industry was impossibly complicated, so I never tried to make even a single mitten in 40d. I think I had this impression because Captain Duck kinda skipped in in his first tutorial, which he probably did because clothing was really only useful as a trade good in that version.

doomyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2013, 10:35:42 pm »

I figured a strand extractor made thread from plants and animals.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 10:54:21 pm »

I thought i could build an archery tower to watch over my territory, and it would give my marksdorfs range advantage. And that i could put a catapult on top of it to fire upon the enemies below.

Also i thought doctors would heal injured dwarves quickly and without hassle.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 10:07:25 am »

I thought by pressing 'S' in the trade screen I could sort the items by size. My first human traders were not amused.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 07:00:39 pm »

Exponential Growth and You: I used to think of every domestic animal birth as a good thing instead something that needed to be tightly controlled in order to prevent ecological disasters.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:11 pm »

Exponential Growth and You: I used to think of every domestic animal birth as a good thing instead something that needed to be tightly controlled in order to prevent ecological disasters.

I had reached over a thousand animals before I figured out it might be a good idea to reduce their population a little. Now I have metric tons of meat and other byproducts I'm trying to slowly process.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5