Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a Front Mission game  (Read 2088 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Building a Front Mission game
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:43:21 pm »

I'm building a Front Mission styled game akin to D&D. The series has basically died, unfortunately, however, I want to at least carry this out as a fan project.

I'm currently making a table of parts that works mostly the same as those in FM1. Most cores are complete, as well as the arms, though I really don't know where I stand with HP vs Weaponry balance. There's supposed to be some crunch, but I'm not sure if I'm making it too brutal or not. I guess that's for later, and I could easily just apply a blanket addition to all part HPs, as they're intermingled.

I haven't made the non-integrated weapons yet, only the ones that are already part of arms.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Building a Front Mission game
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »

If you're talking about a tabletop version of it, you might want to look at Battletech, which is pretty much Front Mission: the boardgame. You might want to take a look at this thread, which is for playing Battletech on the computer.

It really isn't clear what you're trying to do, or how you're doing it. It'd be great if you could explain that a little bit better in the OP.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »

Battletech is great, but it's heavily rule intensive and uses hexes (which, while are pretty awesome, aren't reminiscent of Front Mission), and uses different systems. I'm trying to be a -lot- more faithful- weight values instead of BVs, squares instead of hexes, etc etc etc...

Right now all I have are the mecha parts, but they're mostly done for a first run. I still need Backpacks, but those are super easy.

Pilot skills will also come into play, on a d100+skill value system. Let's say you've got a weapon with accuracy 90 (very high). You, as a player, will nearly always hit with this. There's a weapon that (iirc) gets as base low as 45, which is hard to hit with even as a player (consider that starting characters have stats around 10-20, or will when that's hashed out, so you'll still have roughly a 50-60% chance each time you use it.

---

Basically, I'm writing a D&D like engine for making Front Mission RtDs. Ones much, much more Front Mission than Battletech. You roll up a pilot, build up a mecha, and go to war. A GM would create a campaign, much like a module or dungeon to D&D, and players would attempt to go through it.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »

Yeah I agree in that Front Mission and Battletech are not really the same system.

Very similar, but the differences in balance and just how the game works shows.

The largest difference is that accuracy in Front Mission is directly related to damage.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:16:35 pm »

Well, I'm very curious about it. Looking forward to see what comes out of it, especially if it's a simpler system than tabletop Battletech, which takes far too long :)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:39:56 pm »

Simpler, definitely.

My head is screaming that there's balance issues, but I'm pressing ahead as much as possible so that people can playtest it, the best way to test for balance.

It's not always -pure-, but it's nice and close. Once I get a playable version up, I'll throw it out to everyone here, then hopefully I can work balance solutions into it and research parts from FM 2-5.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:16:33 pm »

I'm now fully capable of creating mecha, and player rolling isn't far away at all. Examples incoming!

Spoiler: Sample Build 1 (click to show/hide)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:15:03 pm »

Pilot rolls and the stats are done, shields were added, items need to be thrown in at some point, now all I need to build is the first few maps to get a test going.

Doing that's easier said than done, however, because working Maptools is a nightmare to me and I need a square grid I can mark with heights and colors (terrain types) that isn't in hexes.

I will, however, show you a complete build, pilot and all

Spoiler: Derya (click to show/hide)