Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 135144 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!
« Reply #780 on: December 23, 2013, 10:16:15 pm »

Although when the town is that far ahead there's no real reason not to lynch suspicious alien claims.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 23, 2013, 10:24:47 pm »

Although when the town is that far ahead there's no real reason not to lynch suspicious alien claims.

This is true, and another reason I was fine with lynching Tiruin with no actual evidence against her specifically.  I wasn't going to spell it out, but we had plenty of time.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:48 pm »

Yeah, everyone's thoughts on the Mind Stealer pretty much echo mine. So the role needs tweaking.

Might make it more like the Xeno, and change it from stealing win conditions to needing to steal X number of different roles. Roles with subtypes like Guards & Scientists would all count as the same type, rather than individual subtypes. So you can't just steal a few different guards and be mostly done.

But I'm ponder it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:42 pm »

I won't quote it, as it's Imp-sized.

Heh.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 23, 2013, 11:37:00 pm »

So sorry about the lack of activity last 3 pages... Not that it woulda made a difference...

I had an assortment of parties that made me feel self important after winter break started, so those took up my days.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 24, 2013, 01:30:29 am »

Question still stands.

Why did you tell me about having two shields.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:17 am »

Hey all, good game, sorry I couldn't give you a better run for your monies; I of course would have loved to have taken the pot home with me if it had worked out that way.

Jim:  Thanks for lesson about end of day vote shenanigans.  Lesson learned, I hope *rubs neck*

makeinu:  Man.  Maybe verbosity is a scumtell where you're from, but it's a me tell, period.  Not that I expect you to peek at my previous games, but if you can say something in 5 words, figure I need at least 50 and if I only use 50, I'm feeling rushed, pinched, and incomplete.

Everyone, about makeinu:  I was floored that any of you trusted makeinu after his D1 capers.  I couldn't see any reason why -any- of you would accept that -anyone- would trust him in a PM.  I couldn't imagine trusting him myself.  Given that he approached Jim with some form of 'I inspected you and know your role' and that role was true, I can see why Jim would be most cooperative.  But the rest of you?  Wowsers.

Everyone:  No one but Meph sent me a PM this game.  I've never played in a game with PMs.  I feel like I missed a learning opportunity, and I think I've developed a probably irrational fear of Mafia games that allow PMs between players.  Granted, I was Scum so don't deserve anything but a noose, but still.  I felt left out and horrified!  Great job 'shutting Scum out'.

Everyone:  Sorry for my lack of involvement D2+.  I believe I was present a reasonable amount D1, if not, whoops and sorry.  My life fell apart a bit after I started this game, with separate and mutually unrelated challenges/threats to my comfort, health, residence, employment, employer, co-workers, and roommate all occuring within the span of a couple weeks and some still being a problem even now.  I still feel besieged by life, and I've definately developed an irrational fear of Paranormal games  (possibly not irrational! empirical evidence supports that this fear IS RATIONAL!).

Persus13:
Max, if you read this, you may want to change your scum strategy D1.

Imp, did you switch to DarkStar to prevent a Max lynch?

I seriously doubt that Max intends to play more Mafia anytime soon.  He'd left the game for a long time before I 'rekindled' his interest in it; from our initial PMs (outside of any game) he expressed dislike and dismay about the game; after we talked a bit about what I liked about his play and what he did in S4 he started to get some spark back, and then rapidly decided to return.  I think he wanted the fire he remembered, but I don't think play made him feel it.  I hope Max returns to us, but I'm ready to eat a hat if he does anytime soon.

As for my D1 vote, well.  Remember my list of D1 reads?  I was quite earnest (even if woefully inadequate) in my determination to play Scum as close as possible to how I play as Town.  I did what I would do, period (I think, I hope.  If I'm wrong, you guys see it but I don't) when it reached that point in the time where I would compromise vote, I compromise voted.  Note that Max was listed around the middle of my suspicion list - Star was second most suspicious.

Who the heck would compromise from their top scum pick to someone they list as mostly null instead of compromising to their second scummiest pick?  .... Not Imp, I don't think.

Star could potentially have played his way out of it; that just didn't happen to happen.

Tiruin:  Fascinating play, especially in the last half of the game.  Never saw an 'I vote myself' used before in an even possibly poinant and value-containing way.

SuperBlackCat:  Interesting choices.  I'm sorry I wasn't there when you probably really wanted some help and advice.  You did some very, very interesting things in your play this game, and though I don't think I'd have made a single choice you made and the exact details of your plan were not workable for your survival - you actually did quite well in your chosen goal (I am not scum).  Well done, and great show!

makeinu
Scum chat was an awesome read.

Why do you think this?

Tiruin:
Imp was just as how I predicted Imp to be. An "evil" and awesome villain that I aspire to be one day! :D
But in all seriousness...I'm being read as easily as a pane of glass..and its 99% foolproof ._.

Tiruin, that's amazing, almost rediculously over the top praise from one who is commonly referred to as an extremely dangerous Scum player.  I have to say, having been in two games where you were Scum... Yeah, you're amazing as Scum (I've been in two games where you're Town, too - you're amazing as Town as well).  I'm not sure what you have to aspire to - but whatever it is, you're already well up that mountain.

As to being able to read you - ehh.  Only in certain ways, extremely limited ways, and closely related to areas of behavior we've interacted in during intense situations in the past.  Otherwise, you're quite unpredictable to me.

makeinu:
Imp's reaction in dopp chat was what I was shooting for. Just this side of scummy so I don't get lynched, but too close to the line to be seen as a threat to the scum worthy of the night kill.

It'll never work again here.

Ehh.  Against me it might.  Depends on who else you play beside.  I am going to try and take the greatest threat to my team out of play, unless I believe I a) cannot or b) had better not because of other likely repercussions.  You're 'competing' against some awesomely scary others, depending on who else is on the player list.  At best - you rank among them.

However, by all means, prove me wrong.  If you think you belong in a new rank of 'dangerous' that tops the range I percieve the other, currently appraised 'most dangerous players' to have attained - go for it.  I'm perfectly willing to create a new category in my head that's just for you, if your play is worthy of that.  And it will be awesome to read those games and see what you can do.  At your leisure, fine Sir.

Everyone:  Thanks for the fun.  Sorry for my low involvement.  I am very glad of one thing - I died through involvement, not survived through silence.  I wasn't playing to try and die, but I did mind greatly that I couldn't give this game the time it needs and deserves.  It's nice to be outplayed, and I totally didn't factor in makeinu's presence and desire to see me lynched when I moved at the end of D2 to see Jim lynched instead of Persus.

Question:  A Scum took action to -die- to save Persus.  Yet no one appeared to find Persus suspicious for that.  Why not?

Another Question:  The 'interaction' between Jim and I end of D2, that could only have resulted in his death or mine, I think.  Why the -heck- did anyone suspect Jim of being Scum past that point, as was discussed a bit?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 24, 2013, 02:43:54 am »

makeinu:  Man.  Maybe verbosity is a scumtell where you're from, but it's a me tell, period.  Not that I expect you to peek at my previous games, but if you can say something in 5 words, figure I need at least 50 and if I only use 50, I'm feeling rushed, pinched, and incomplete.

Not so much verbosity, per se, though it tends to be a tell where I've played before, but more what and how you were saying it. I wish I could explain it, but it was more a feeling that you weren't trying as hard as you appeared to be. If that makes sense.

And I really don't think I could play another game here the way I played this one, unless I played every game here that way, and I'm not sure I'm up to maintaining that level of crazy.

Scum chat was an awesome read because of the analysis there, mostly you of course, and partly because of the effect that my actions were having on said analysis. I love being able to see behind the scenes afterward; it's always a learning experience.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 24, 2013, 02:48:28 am »

Scum chat was an awesome read because

More.

By getting to see your reaction to my behavior, I get to hold a mirror up to myself, one that's colored by another's expectations and thoughts. A telepathic mirror. I get to see me through your eyes.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 24, 2013, 02:56:57 am »

Everyone, about makeinu:  I was floored that any of you trusted makeinu after his D1 capers.  I couldn't see any reason why -any- of you would accept that -anyone- would trust him in a PM.  I couldn't imagine trusting him myself.  Given that he approached Jim with some form of 'I inspected you and know your role' and that role was true, I can see why Jim would be most cooperative.  But the rest of you?  Wowsers.
Woa, woah. I doubted makeinu there D:
I doubted him until the end until I reached to the point wherein I was weighing makeinu and Toaster.

...It was a very hard decision, to say the least. >_>

Everyone:  No one but Meph sent me a PM this game.  I've never played in a game with PMs.  I feel like I missed a learning opportunity, and I think I've developed a probably irrational fear of Mafia games that allow PMs between players.  Granted, I was Scum so don't deserve anything but a noose, but still.  I felt left out and horrified!  Great job 'shutting Scum out'.
...I don't know why I didn't pM you! DX
*checks back*
Ahh, I didn't know until that time of day....
._.
Sorry. I really would've PM'd you as I PM'd those I either trust, or those I want info from.

Everyone:  Sorry for my lack of involvement D2+.  I believe I was present a reasonable amount D1, if not, whoops and sorry.  My life fell apart a bit after I started this game, with separate and mutually unrelated challenges/threats to my comfort, health, residence, employment, employer, co-workers, and roommate all occuring within the span of a couple weeks and some still being a problem even now.  I still feel besieged by life, and I've definately developed an irrational fear of Paranormal games  (possibly not irrational! empirical evidence supports that this fear IS RATIONAL!).
You have to believe Imp here guys. She sent me a PM on those details and...I really hope she's doing ok now (in which I notice that I didn't reply to said PM.) :S
Sorry Imp I'm shamed..

I seriously doubt that Max intends to play more Mafia anytime soon.  He'd left the game for a long time before I 'rekindled' his interest in it; from our initial PMs (outside of any game) he expressed dislike and dismay about the game; after we talked a bit about what I liked about his play and what he did in S4 he started to get some spark back, and then rapidly decided to return.  I think he wanted the fire he remembered, but I don't think play made him feel it.  I hope Max returns to us, but I'm ready to eat a hat if he does anytime soon.
Well..I miss Max, to be honest.

As for my D1 vote, well.  Remember my list of D1 reads?  I was quite earnest (even if woefully inadequate) in my determination to play Scum as close as possible to how I play as Town.  I did what I would do, period (I think, I hope.  If I'm wrong, you guys see it but I don't) when it reached that point in the time where I would compromise vote, I compromise voted.  Note that Max was listed around the middle of my suspicion list - Star was second most suspicious.
I still wanna hear why makeinu brought that up.  Bleh, anyways.. >_>

Tiruin:  Fascinating play, especially in the last half of the game.  Never saw an 'I vote myself' used before in an even possibly poinant and value-containing way.
...But I voted myself because..um. Is that poignant? O_o?

SuperBlackCat:  Interesting choices.  I'm sorry I wasn't there when you probably really wanted some help and advice.  You did some very, very interesting things in your play this game, and though I don't think I'd have made a single choice you made and the exact details of your plan were not workable for your survival - you actually did quite well in your chosen goal (I am not scum).  Well done, and great show!
Sly lucky kitty cat~ x3

Tiruin:
Imp was just as how I predicted Imp to be. An "evil" and awesome villain that I aspire to be one day! :D
But in all seriousness...I'm being read as easily as a pane of glass..and its 99% foolproof ._.

Tiruin, that's amazing, almost rediculously over the top praise from one who is commonly referred to as an extremely dangerous Scum player.  I have to say, having been in two games where you were Scum... Yeah, you're amazing as Scum (I've been in two games where you're Town, too - you're amazing as Town as well).  I'm not sure what you have to aspire to - but whatever it is, you're already well up that mountain.

As to being able to read you - ehh.  Only in certain ways, extremely limited ways, and closely related to areas of behavior we've interacted in during intense situations in the past.  Otherwise, you're quite unpredictable to me.
You don't know how happy this makes me. Um..words can't.  :'(

Imp's reaction in dopp chat was what I was shooting for. Just this side of scummy so I don't get lynched, but too close to the line to be seen as a threat to the scum worthy of the night kill.

Yeah it will. That was only when you really knew who Imp was. :P

Everyone:  Thanks for the fun.  Sorry for my low involvement.  I am very glad of one thing - I died through involvement, not survived through silence.  I wasn't playing to try and die, but I did mind greatly that I couldn't give this game the time it needs and deserves.  It's nice to be outplayed, and I totally didn't factor in makeinu's presence and desire to see me lynched when I moved at the end of D2 to see Jim lynched instead of Persus.
Part of what kicked me seeing you as innocent (not 'Town', per se, but innocent) was your passion--you did all that thru stress and sleep..and I know how long it takes to write lengthy statements...
But it was great to have to scrutinize all your posts again. :P
Question:  A Scum took action to -die- to save Persus.  Yet no one appeared to find Persus suspicious for that.  Why not?
...I have no idea either. I guess its because of what Persus was really saying (sans our PM chat) that he was willing to die instead. I mean, comparing the value of a Tough Dopp (while Paranormal takes a while to get used to because of the fancy roles, a 'Tough' anything == 'immune to bullets and stuff that can kill any normal player once') it didn't click. Unless he was the dopp leader..which was only fathomed later on.
Another Question:  The 'interaction' between Jim and I end of D2, that could only have resulted in his death or mine, I think.  Why the -heck- did anyone suspect Jim of being Scum past that point, as was discussed a bit?
We did -or to be completely correct, I could say that I did (as I'm unsure of others)- but then this 'process of elimination' began the hunt for tagging people left and right, and given the scum # and checking and re-checking the Night process at the loss of a Dopp @D1, it was simple to eliminate the abductee.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 3 brings death and release
« Reply #790 on: December 24, 2013, 03:12:50 am »

SBC:  Remember this?

Makeinu: I see a possible explanation for the "two shields" bit, but I'm not going to say what it is until Mr. Cat comes forward and corrects his claim.

The correct answer was "Alien Survivor" with a natural mind shield.  If you had claimed that, not only would I have bought it at first, I would have tried to help you win.

Toaster, I do remember, I was considering it... But sadly, I hesitated too long. Also, I felt that if I claimed Survivor, and didn't initially, I would've been completely killed.

By claiming Hivemind, I have a reason to lie the first time, by claiming Survivor, no reason to lie.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 24, 2013, 03:14:26 am »

...But I voted myself because..um. Is that poignant? O_o?

yeah.  "Creating the feeling of sadness, regret, or distress, especially in connection to memories of past events".

You used words to tie it to my actions and what you understand of my feelings from the uncomfortable parts of my play in BM 43.  So I, even if only I, can indeed honestly call that poignant, even if I cannot properly spell the word without help!

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 24, 2013, 03:14:58 am »

Yeah it will. That was only when you really knew who Imp was. :P

Biggest game I've ever played, we had 24 players. I led a team of six scum. I played exactly like this, and against those odds and bad scum play on the part of one bozo that cost us two scum after he was lynched, I was the last scum to survive after taking the Town down to four. Of those four, one thought me Town to the bitter end, and had it not been for one slip-up on my part, I might've still had a shot at winning: I tried to save my last scum-buddy, instead of busing them when I should have.

Why do I tell you this.

Because from that game alone, I got a rep that guaranteed I'd never be able to pull it off again.

Since then, this is the first mafia game I've lived to see the end of, no matter what my role.

It only works once.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 3 brings death and release
« Reply #793 on: December 24, 2013, 03:15:24 am »

By claiming Hivemind, I have a reason to lie the first time, by claiming Survivor, no reason to lie.

Fear that they would kill you for not being Town.  And because some types of aliens are decidedly dangerous to Town.  Like the hivemind they came to believe you were.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 24, 2013, 03:18:08 am »

Since then, this is the first mafia game I've lived to see the end of, no matter what my role.

It only works once.

Might be amusing to you to check out some of Jim's past games.  I haven't looked at all of them, but recall that quote I referenced, where he said he realized he'd never be able to do anything cool as Scum again?  Poor guy apparently attracts -crazymuch- amounts of especially new player attention.  Without fail, or nearly so.  If you can draw that off of him, he's surely going to love you for it, even if you hate it yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55