Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dead Island: Epidemic  (Read 2844 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Island: Epidemic
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 08:40:49 pm »

Sure, I doubt too many people are too interested in this game, but I just wanted to make a bump for the 0.3 update.
Change log here:http://www.deadislandepidemic.com/en_US/news/latest-patch-notes/
I played a couple rounds, and man the game has gotten much more intense. The confrontational ending leads to much more exciting games, like having both enemies team up to assault your truck while you're trying to deliver the load from the latest hoarder. Fuse seems a little overpowered, even more so when he gets some augmentations running. Going solo on him is suicide, but a couple people can hold him down long enough for a kill. He also feels a little out of place, not having armored or mutated varients and all. Lastly, the new UI does seem more "professional".
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 08:48:07 am »

I got kind of sidetracked since I created the topic and am not at a computer that can run DI:E at the moment, but I kind of liked the old UI. It was unique.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 09:20:12 am »

Well guns in the original DI were weak against zombies because they wanted you to fight them in melee

They really weren't (Mind you they didn't have the damage output of other weapons outside a few of them), but the game created a serious artificial scarcity not because bullets were rare, but because your character refused to really stockpile them.

---

As for Dead Island Epidemic... It is a Moba in disguise.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 11:15:51 am »

I am rather amused that the shorthand for a game about zombies is DIE.

Neo, the game really doesn't try to hide that it's a MOBA. It's rather part of the whole "ZOMBA" description.
They even have wasd controls as a selling point for this game, being part of a genre that's normally known for having more clicks than a novel written in morse code.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 08:07:35 pm »

I am rather amused that the shorthand for a game about zombies is DIE.

Neo, the game really doesn't try to hide that it's a MOBA. It's rather part of the whole "ZOMBA" description.

Huh, I had no idea.

Then again I got into the beta from an invite out of the blue.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 08:33:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure they marketed it as a MOBA. I signed up for a key a bit ago but never got one >_< Hopefully they release it soon, I never played Dead Island, but I do like Zombies and MOBAs, so I'm eager to try it out.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 08:56:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure they marketed it as a MOBA. I signed up for a key a bit ago but never got one >_< Hopefully they release it soon, I never played Dead Island, but I do like Zombies and MOBAs, so I'm eager to try it out.

It is alright but it kind of suffers a lot from World of Warcraft Syndrome... In that... League of Legends is better so to speak.

As well some characters are outright better then others in certain roles in PvE. (though that should be somewhat obvious, given that characters are designed to excel at PvP with PvE being more of an afterthought). It is kind of a shame because you get a strong sense that PVE could be a lot of fun, but the MOBA design philosophy is mostly "Slow and steady wins the race" and the PvE really needs to speed up while also throwing more at you.

One aspect of the game I really like is the fact that all characters have three versions of themselves. With each version being sort of an offshoot or reverse of the basic character. While "Armored" versions mostly stay close to the original (ok not really), the "Mutant" versions are often the most distant from the original concept.

I honestly like to think the two versions represent the sort of two paths their stories could have taken... but honestly it is more that the characters start off as basic, turn to armored, and then become mutants.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 10:10:06 pm »

Regarding the original Dead Island, am I the only one who celebrated when Jin died?

Seriously, I would have shot her after the whole police station incident but the game seemed to think she was somehow worthwhile as a character.

My only regret was that Yerema or whatever her name was didn't die a horrible death as well. She was so god damn pathetic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:12:17 pm by moghopper »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:47 pm »

Well... Lets just say Dead Island has a serious problem with providing us with characters that are likable and pretty much try to substitute likability with sociopathy or by making them somewhat tragic.

But then again Dead Island has a lot of problems in general... and oddly enough I never played the "Hard Mode"... after the game was over I really felt done.

It is why Dead Island's side game and this one astounds me. Dead Island was never this good, so who are all these fans?

Don't get me wrong Dead Island has a few good ideas here and there (I love the locational damage and it would be great if fights weren't so frantic and you got time to enjoy it), but why has this become a series? I can only guess because there are so few decent zombie games.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:31:03 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2]