Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 28263 times)

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 10:54:04 am »

So (and I apologize ahead of time in case I'm being stupid/blind) is there something we can play here?

Not yet, sorry. You can pseudo-walk around the map for now though.

Perhaps someone can mod in a dancing skill  :D (Or at least the Ironborn Fingerdance)

Love the vibe so far! Do you have a roadmap of what you want to see in game eventually? Interested to see the scale you're aiming for. Can we expect to see the large-scale politics that the series is known for?

There's a Water Dancer class!

As for a roadmap, yes, I have some things in mind:

* Hunting: A big part of the game is foraging for food, be it berries or wild boars, you have to find a way to eat. Buying food at inns will also be possible.
* Fishing: You'll be able to fish for food. And maybe construct your own boat/primitive raft or buy one.
* Cities! This will take a lot of work but I plan for cities and towns to be partially static, they'll be defined through JSON and bitmaps just like the big map though. At least that's what I have in mind, implementation details may change as I develop this further.
* Era: I'm not sure when the setting will be, I'm thinking pre-Robert and maybe even before that. I don't want to get mixed up with the story line but I don't know yet.
* Winter: Winters will bring all kinds of danger and !!FUN!!.
* Building: Just like Unreal World you'll be able to construct your own home and furniture, also traps.
* Crafting: EVERYTHING will be craftable, with the exception of Valyrian Steel, which you'll only be able to obtain if you melt things made of that metal.
* Danger: You'll be set upon by outlaws and wild animals (of the canine variant.. hint hint, and maybe shadowcats), so if you're travelling you better come packing.
* Wargs: It'll be a playable class and your animal companion will be connected to you. You'll be able to control it and see through its eyes.
* Which brings us to companions: I have plans for that as well.
* Religion: You'll be able to worship freely. Old gods, new gods, R'hllor, faceless god, you name it; each religion will have its perks.
* Factions: You'll be able to join non-noble factions: Warrior's Sons, Faceless Men, Brotherhood Without Banners (depending on the era I pick).
* Titles: You'll only be able to obtain titles if you earn them, knighthood will require certain training, conditions, and a knight to anoint you, and so on.
* Mounts: You'll be able to ride your own mount, be it a horse, a direwolf, or a bear (if you're a warg). Heck maybe dragons even.
* Morality: Certain actions will affect your mental health and well-being.
* Combat: No magic "HP" stat., just body parts that can be mauled, chopped off, or broken. Pain will distort your speed and mental capacity.

I have a lot more in mind as well. Politics will be something to ponder for now, perhaps in the future it'll be more feasible.

That looks amazing! Good luck and beware copyrights!

Thanks! I don't think I have anything to worry about, since I'm not selling the game. It's considered fan-fiction so long you don't sell it or claim endorsement by the original author.

So how moddable are we talking? Could a modder implement something like DCSS' tiles?

Here's a small excerpt from materials.json: (the format is not even final yet, a lot more fields will be added to the entries)

[
  {
    "name":"Dirt",
    "disp":{
      "Floor": [{ "sym":"." }, { "sym":"," }, { "sym":"`" }, { "sym":";" }],
      "Wall":  [{ "sym":" ", "usym":"░", "style":{ "fgcolour":"Yellow", "bgcolour":"Yellow", "attributes":["Bold"] }}],
      "RampU": [{ "sym":"^", "usym":"▴" }],
      "RampD": [{ "sym":"v", "usym":"▾" }]
    },
    "style":{"fgcolour":"Yellow", "attributes":["Dim"] }
  },
  {
    "name":"Snow",
    "disp":{
      "Floor": [{ "sym":"." }, { "sym":"," }, { "sym":"`" }, { "sym":";" }],
      "Wall":  [{ "sym":" ", "usym":"░", "style":{ "fgcolour":"Black", "bgcolour":"White" }, "attributes":["Bold"] }],
      "RampU": [{ "sym":"^", "usym":"▴" }],
      "RampD": [{ "sym":"v", "usym":"▾" }]
    },
    "style":{"fgcolour":"White", "attributes":["Dim"] },
    "meltTo":"Water"
  },
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:53:18 pm by voodooattack »
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 12:46:45 pm »

I'm very into this. Since it's open-source, would you be open to outside contributors?

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »

I'm very into this. Since it's open-source, would you be open to outside contributors?

Definitely.
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 01:36:41 am »

Keep up the good work!

I'm finishing "A dance with dragons" now, so it would be a great thing to play in such game, while waiting for "The winds of winter".

By the way, do you intend to make some war between factions/squads or something like that ? It would be a great thing, if our PC could participate in some major fight, siege or castle defense.

Feed 'em please)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 02:20:11 am »

So when will you have a playable demo ready? E.g. basic combat, item use.

Oh and how will characters improve? Level up, slow increase of skills, etc?

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 04:27:43 am »

Keep up the good work!

I'm finishing "A dance with dragons" now, so it would be a great thing to play in such game, while waiting for "The winds of winter".

By the way, do you intend to make some war between factions/squads or something like that ? It would be a great thing, if our PC could participate in some major fight, siege or castle defense.

I'm in the same situation, got bored of waiting though and couldn't get my fix so here we are.

Well, I was thinking small battles over disputed land on the travel map that you can join on either side, based on a secondary political map. But that's for the distant future, I'll need to implement group behaviour for NPCs and assign both sides their house colours.

Probably some time next month, I'm making good progress on the map generator and just added background map streaming (map continuously generates in the background as you move). I guess my insomnia is paying off in code.

As for character improvement, there will be no overall 'level'. You use your skills and you get better at them, although the algorithm will reward you more the lower the skill is to prevent grinding. As the skill gets higher the improvement rate will decrease but the benefit of training increases significantly.

Skills will also decay with time, although you'll be able to recall them rapidly in that case.

You'll be able to learn new skills with either gold, quests, or a combination of the two. Joining a faction will also offer you special training.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 05:09:16 am »

Looks pretty snazzy, posting to watch.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:05 am »

Probably some time next month, I'm making good progress on the map generator and just added background map streaming (map continuously generates in the background as you move). I guess my insomnia is paying off in code.

As for character improvement, there will be no overall 'level'. You use your skills and you get better at them, although the algorithm will reward you more the lower the skill is to prevent grinding. As the skill gets higher the improvement rate will decrease but the benefit of training increases significantly.

Skills will also decay with time, although you'll be able to recall them rapidly in that case.

You'll be able to learn new skills with either gold, quests, or a combination of the two. Joining a faction will also offer you special training.
Are there perks ala Fallout?

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 05:52:42 am »

It always hurts my soul to see such great ideas from someone making a game, but not have anything that I can get my hands on. If I could time travel, I would be a very happy man.

Voodooattack, I am very eager to see the continued development of this project. Keep up the good work.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 06:36:01 am »

Perhaps not exactly, but you'll get permanent bonuses and/or special abilities by completing certain quests or performing certain actions (like joining a faction). Also houses get special perks.. (For example Starks will have a heightened aptitude at a certain skill **spoilers** and Lannisters will have an affinity with gold, etc)

It always hurts my soul to see such great ideas from someone making a game, but not have anything that I can get my hands on. If I could time travel, I would be a very happy man.

Voodooattack, I am very eager to see the continued development of this project. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, and I know the feeling! But don't worry, soon enough you'll get your hands wet. :)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 07:31:33 am »

Perhaps not exactly, but you'll get permanent bonuses and/or special abilities by completing certain quests or performing certain actions (like joining a faction). Also houses get special perks.. (For example Starks will have a heightened aptitude at a certain skill **spoilers** and Lannisters will have an affinity with gold, etc)
Please tell me you're including all the houses...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32:47 am »

/*obligatory forking joke*/
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 07:55:17 am »

Yes.

/*obligatory forking joke*/

Damn you! It's already starting, huh? :D
Good luck building it on anything but Ubuntu though, it's library-heavy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 08:03:47 am »

Yes.
What about outside of Westeros?

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 08:14:47 am »

What about outside of Westeros?

That's something I'll leave to modders. Adding a new house is as simple as editing a text file, but anything outside Westeros would be tough for a single person to manage. You know I wanted to include all of the world when I first started this? I couldn't draw that big of a map though, and the crappy test one I made doesn't even include any biomes other than what's enough to test with.

If someone actually wants to go through all of that work then they're more than welcome to do so though! I might include it in the official distribution, provided it isn't broken and my poor PC can handle the result.

Minimum system requirements are based on my development PC, which is really crappy. (old dual core)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15