Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 114421 times)

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: New Players--Enlist here! IC Needed then game start
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:26 pm »

Wait no more for I love questions!

How do you choose what you're going to ask someone? Is it just random or are there other factors that come in to play?

Also, when is it the best time to focus in on one person? For example, when you have a gut feeling/your a cop and know they're scum or when you have a fair amount of "evidence" against them? Or I guess what I'm really asking is IS there a best time?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2013, 09:42:25 pm »

How do you choose what you're going to ask someone? Is it just random or are there other factors that come in to play?

Also, when is it the best time to focus in on one person? For example, when you have a gut feeling/your a cop and know they're scum or when you have a fair amount of "evidence" against them? Or I guess what I'm really asking is IS there a best time?

Oooh, ohh!  I'm maybe the a future IC someday, so I'll offer a perspective too:

There isn't really a 'best time' for questions or narrow or broad focus, but timing can matter, it's situational.

Never forget your goal.  If you're Town, you want to find the Scum, and everything you do in play is ideally going to somehow help you find them, from the questions you ask to the timing you use to the specific wording you pick - or not.  Depends on you, and if that's not your style, then you'll need to find and develop your own.

If you're Scum, then you need to appear to be Town and appear to want to find the Scum, but you need to do so in a way that helps ensure that the fewest possible Scum are voted for - note that may mean scumhunting your Scumbuddy and helping Town lynch that player, even on Day 1.  That's called bussing - and is not an ideal tactic - unless in your exact circumstances it is the ideal tactic.

As to what questions to pick to ask who - I recommend you read over a few of the finished BM games, maybe just read the first few pages after start of play for now from a handful.  See what others asked as their opening questions or whatever else people started with, see how well or poorly that seemed to work.  When I played my first BM I'd not yet read any games.  As I started to play, I started to read 3 previous BMs, only to the approximate point I was at in the one I was playing.  As the game progressed, I read a little more.  When things seemed harder or weird, I started looking at other finished games, non-BM games, and checked out what had happened in those games around the point mine was at.

General question advice is 'ask questions related to Mafia in some way', 'follow up on the answers if you see anything to follow up on', and 'ask both the types of questions you don't know the answer to, and the sort of questions that you think you -do- know the answer to'.  Like what did someone mean when they said something (quote it when you ask).  Ask someone what they think something means that someone else answered or asked.

As you talk to people, you're likely to notice things that make more or less sense to you, see things that seem off or weird.  Ask people about them.  Give people chances to explain themselves (that was perhaps my biggest fault in my first game, I -leapt- to lynch people I thought were Scummy.  Those people -were- Scummy!  But they were not actually Scum.  More communication might have helped straighten that out and avoid a mislynch).  Question, question more, keep questioning.  When things make sense and feel right, maybe they are.  When things seem off and wrong and you're finding inconsistencies, maybe they are.

Consider paying attention to what everyone is doing as best as you can.  You might find very interesting things in the questions and answers that are not directed at you, and you can and potentially should ask about that interaction as well.

One potentially cautionary note - you may (or may not) want to consider not asking about someone else's question until after it's been answered (or some time has passed and it's clear that it won't be answered anytime soon).  There's more than one school of thought on that one,  but some people feel that 'jumping in' like that changes how the question's target is likely to answer, and may take pressure off of Scum (Scum may have been thinking 'OMG I got asked a really hard to answer question, what do I do!' then see your question and think 'Oh, that's just a really weird question.  Thank goodness that guy got involved, now do I want to attack that guy for jumping in or attack the guy that asked me the question for asking such a weird question?' or something along those lines).  Others feel there's little or nothing wrong with asking about what someone else asks immediately - the interaction as a whole, what gets reacted to, and what appears not to be reacted to, tells a useful story and 'jumping in' has a place and a value, at least sometimes.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:54 pm »

I rest in peace with my decision. ^ ^

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:51 pm »

Oooh, ohh!  I'm maybe the a future IC someday, so I'll offer a perspective too:

There isn't really a 'best time' for questions or narrow or broad focus, but timing can matter, it's situational.

Never forget your goal.  If you're Town, you want to find the Scum, and everything you do in play is ideally going to somehow help you find them, from the questions you ask to the timing you use to the specific wording you pick - or not.  Depends on you, and if that's not your style, then you'll need to find and develop your own.

If you're Scum, then you need to appear to be Town and appear to want to find the Scum, but you need to do so in a way that helps ensure that the fewest possible Scum are voted for - note that may mean scumhunting your Scumbuddy and helping Town lynch that player, even on Day 1.  That's called bussing - and is not an ideal tactic - unless in your exact circumstances it is the ideal tactic.

As to what questions to pick to ask who - I recommend you read over a few of the finished BM games, maybe just read the first few pages after start of play for now from a handful.  See what others asked as their opening questions or whatever else people started with, see how well or poorly that seemed to work.  When I played my first BM I'd not yet read any games.  As I started to play, I started to read 3 previous BMs, only to the approximate point I was at in the one I was playing.  As the game progressed, I read a little more.  When things seemed harder or weird, I started looking at other finished games, non-BM games, and checked out what had happened in those games around the point mine was at.

General question advice is 'ask questions related to Mafia in some way', 'follow up on the answers if you see anything to follow up on', and 'ask both the types of questions you don't know the answer to, and the sort of questions that you think you -do- know the answer to'.  Like what did someone mean when they said something (quote it when you ask).  Ask someone what they think something means that someone else answered or asked.

As you talk to people, you're likely to notice things that make more or less sense to you, see things that seem off or weird.  Ask people about them.  Give people chances to explain themselves (that was perhaps my biggest fault in my first game, I -leapt- to lynch people I thought were Scummy.  Those people -were- Scummy!  But they were not actually Scum.  More communication might have helped straighten that out and avoid a mislynch).  Question, question more, keep questioning.  When things make sense and feel right, maybe they are.  When things seem off and wrong and you're finding inconsistencies, maybe they are.

Consider paying attention to what everyone is doing as best as you can.  You might find very interesting things in the questions and answers that are not directed at you, and you can and potentially should ask about that interaction as well.

One potentially cautionary note - you may (or may not) want to consider not asking about someone else's question until after it's been answered (or some time has passed and it's clear that it won't be answered anytime soon).  There's more than one school of thought on that one,  but some people feel that 'jumping in' like that changes how the question's target is likely to answer, and may take pressure off of Scum (Scum may have been thinking 'OMG I got asked a really hard to answer question, what do I do!' then see your question and think 'Oh, that's just a really weird question.  Thank goodness that guy got involved, now do I want to attack that guy for jumping in or attack the guy that asked me the question for asking such a weird question?' or something along those lines).  Others feel there's little or nothing wrong with asking about what someone else asks immediately - the interaction as a whole, what gets reacted to, and what appears not to be reacted to, tells a useful story and 'jumping in' has a place and a value, at least sometimes.

Well... I said earlier "Mine and Imp's play-styles don't really mesh so I should be able to still offer good advice for MOWE." Then I read this. I have nothing to add. That's pretty much the best way to put it.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2013, 11:20:01 am »

1 - If someone has done something that looks odd, ask them about it.  If you don't have a lead on a person, ask them about something else that has happened in the game so far.  A tactic that I often use (which ties in with #2 below) is to make a (mostly) baseless accusation against someone and see how they react to it.  If they get defensive, press them on it hard.  If not, move on.

2 - Focusing on just one person is usually not the best course of action.  I usually like to maintain focus on several players at once.  Perhaps one main focus, and a few secondary focuses (foci?).  That way you can put the thumbscrews on one person, and keep firing off follow-up questions to other players.  It's good activity whether you're town or scum.  And that way if your main focus doesn't go anywhere, you've already got ground on a few other players to make one of them your new main focus. 

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 05:29:18 pm »

Out, sudden chaos and upheaval in my life; I'd be letting this game down if I tried to stay in.

If/when things clear up, if it's still going on, I'll come back and offer my services as a replacement.  Until then, best to not even consider me a replacement.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 06:25:18 pm »

Good luck Imp, I hope everything ends up well for you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 08:35:31 pm »

Out, sudden chaos and upheaval in my life; I'd be letting this game down if I tried to stay in.

If/when things clear up, if it's still going on, I'll come back and offer my services as a replacement.  Until then, best to not even consider me a replacement.
u__u

Glad to know the reasons in the PM you sent me...I really hope you'll do better in the holidays henceforth Imp. Thanks! =)

*twiddles thumbs until that one IC comes*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:42:16 pm by Tiruin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:31 pm »

Are we just ignoring the fact that Imp left Tiruin? Because she's still listed in the OP as playing, you keep saying we only need 1 IC when we actually need an IC and a Player. Just something I noticed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: New Players--Enlist here!
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:22 am »

Ahh, no actually. She had PM'd me recently about how she's doing. ~New Year time or so, she'll be able to play (she's in for a replacement until then, possibly) and by the looks of the board, at about that time will an IC be willing to come in and join.

But I didn't edit it in the OP. Good catch. I'll be removing Imp's name though, just in case (though things are getting better for her nowadays).

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2013, 04:15:52 pm »

Nope, it's time to start voting. MOWE because I can.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »

Well, Nerjin, two can play at that game!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2013, 04:54:43 pm »

No Lynch.

I'd rather not see any deaths before I even put down flavor to describe your deaths. :P

[Or we can have a mock trial situation here so everyone can playtest without their alignments being known..your choice. I'm up for linking the game start-post in the OP if that rolls out as on the normal forum format, this is page 5, going 6.]

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

Hammering No Lynch

No Lynch stood before the assembled players waiting for the game to start. "Wait what?" They asked before they were hanged by their toes from the rafters. It was more comfortable than it appeared. Still, one must wonder how two votes constitutes a hammer... Oh well... Night -1 begins now.

No Lynch has been lynched! He was a Non-player Character
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:01:04 pm by Nerjin »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2013, 04:59:48 pm »

Everyone is guilty! Wahahaaa!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38