Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 113096 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 1 has begun | Act I: Prelude
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:08 pm »

"There has always been reason for an action. In depth of knowledge lies truth and providence."

The music stirs a venerable tune, surpassing that of the minstrel and of the paeans. It enkindles the spirit and strikes at the very soul; for fleeting seconds, no sound permeated the city but that of the nine, until all could feel tranquility radiating from the stage.

On one of the overlooks high above the city, a family stood watching--father and daughter, enchanted by the song which lost no voice. They kept their silence, until moments later when the crowds below broke out in merriment and applause, no matter the fact that the play was still ongoing.

"Father," the youngling said, "what's happening down there? Weren't there actors and the like?"
"The actors are all there," he replied, leaning back and stretching his arms, "they're just acting their roles, hiding behind the masks we all use."
"But I'm not wearing a mask, am I?" She put a hand to her cheek, curious and expectant in the same.
He smiled in response, holding out his outstretched palm. A puff of light followed, and a minuscule orb of emerald light floated above it. "You have a mask as much as I do. We just aren't wearing it now--people say I'm a Ward, much like the spellwards down below: a guardian, a protector and an overseer. They're right in that aspect, yet there is always much more to me, as there is always much more to you."

The orb drifted around, spinning lazily and tumbling in circles until it rested on the young child's nose, before vanishing with a subtle pop. "It's symbolic, what they're doing down there. Much more than a fancy show of the Arts. It teaches history and society in one play."
"Ooooh! Like how the fog came in? I don't remember any of that in my history class. That's the Gap, isn't it Da?""The passing of the Age of Myth, and the coming of our first recorded time before the sundering." He tossed a fluffy, white ball towards her.
"Tissues? I'm not crying."
"You'll soon be. This is only a prelude to things to come. We have a whole day of night to enjoy, and this is the best time for it. Also, that was for me. Thanks for holding it my child."

She laughed and hugged. "Thanks for taking time off, da. I missed you a lot."
"I missed you too, my daughter."

The song shifted tune, now into the instrumentals we know of today. The woodwind, the harpsichord, and the modern piano took the fore, exhibiting a light, dulcet tone, and yet played in a calm, steady rhythm.

Mod Note: This extend cancels and takes in all extend requests before it.

Day 1 has begun and will end at January 8, 2013 [Wednesday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0
Spider Threats: 1

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day
There is ONE possible extension remaining today.

Praise be, for zombie urist's LurkerTracker!

Do we get a lurker tracker for this game Tir Tir!?
..I dunno~ :v
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:03:36 pm by Tiruin »

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2014, 12:33:40 am »

Superblackcat
Sinless: I'll tell you why we seem pro-lynch...

Right now. We are 7/2. That's 7 total players, and 2 mafia.

This... This right now, is the one and only time where we have a ML. Meaning we can lynch someone without immediate consequence.

If we don't lynch today.
Unless JK manages to protect, we will be down to 6/2. That's 6 total people and 2 mafia. At this point, it is a MYLO, meaning you will lose if you mislynch. Anything after that will either be a mylo, lylo, or town loss.

If we do lynch today
We will be down to 5/2, that is 5 players and 2 mafia. That is where the above ^ would end up, but with an extra day. This is Lylo, Lynch or Lose. If you don't lynch correctly you lose.
That's one of the best arguments for lynching I've seen.
That better not be sarcastic! >:c
It isn't, that's one of the neatest summaries I've seen.
I have to agree with this, that is the best explanation I've seen.

Argghh forgot about you Persus:
I said it, first as a poke to get more substance out of you, but second, and more important. I don't remember really anything you've said. That means that what you've said doesn't stick. Usually, that's one of my measures for active lurking. What the person says doesn't have an enough of an impact on the game for myself to remember it off the top of my head.
That's a good definition of active lurking. I may use that.
I also agree with this definition of active lurking.
That said, Pufferfish and Jembot need to post more, dang it!

Also, yes, your link works. It doesn't take into account your replacing EP, but he didn't really say much before he left, anyway.

Persus13
This makes me wonder, what are your views on jumping in to other people's scumhunting? There seems to be offending viewpoints on the subject, and I want to know what your stance on the matter is.
Do it, especially later on. Sometimes this is called chainsaw defending or coming to the defense of someone else. However, if I have an issue with someone's argument, I'll attack it, because scum will sometimes have weak or bad attacks. I know that when I was scum, one problem I had was making up attacks on people because I knew they were town. I found one scum D1 this way in the last Mafia game I played.
That's good to know. I was also unaware that that was called Chainsaw Defending.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2014, 12:45:59 am »

Well persus: Thanks for supporting the definition.

Now whatdya have to say about that?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:41 am »

Praise be, for zombie urist's LurkerTracker!
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~azhou/projects/LT/zt.py?topic=133728&start=114&msg=0&sort=user&numlabel=0

This shoulda werk
Sometimes I wonder if anything I say ever gets through to anyone.
It gets through to me.
I just also appreciate the shortcut that SBC provided. I'm sure some people haven't figured out how to use the Lurkertracker themselves, yet.
And you actually already had a link to the tracker on the post of the game start, I've used it a few times, already.
The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:53 am »

Sorry for lurky-lurky the past bit. Suck network access + busy days = killmenow.... figuratively.

Also, Adventures in Playstyle(tm) success!

Extend, though I suspect it'll be the only vote for it.

MOWE:
SBC: I find your theory...different. From what you've been arguing thus far, it seems like you're main thing is those uo look the most innocent are probably the guilty ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I see. That is sort of my way of thinking as well. I'm somewhat suspicious of you, but I don't think you're scum. Yet.
If this is what SBC's arguing, I'd definitely agree with him, sometimes. The goal of scum is to stay unnoticed and seem innocent. This doesn't always work.

I'll add that very active Town will often look not innocent, because scum-hunting isn't a "nice" activity. Your goal in scum-hunting is to catch inconsistencies, and the easiest way to do that is to rile someone up, and force them to make a mistake. Another way to do that is to give the Scum a good target to go after, with the attendant risks.

Scum rarely give themselves away easily.

Makeinu: Town hunting? No sir. Scum hunt town (in a way) and town hunt scum, finding town in the process. This stinks of scum.
Hunting someone and deciding their town is a perfectly legitimate strategy.

It's often a very effective strategy as well, as you can see who else piles on your target. Scum, obviously, knows who Town are, but they're hunting as well, because they want to find the power roles. See, bandwagoning and sheeping don't come just on the vote records, they also come from attacks and defends.

So, if you're hunting someone, trying to figure out their alignment, focusing only on the scum can lead to dangerous levels of Confirmation Bias, where everything you see that says "I'm right! He's [blah]" gets noticed, and contrary arguments get ignored. Scum-hunting is as much about clearing people as it is about finding scum.

Mastahcheese: All you've done is hunt and push. You seem like the perfect townie. I've found no fault in your reasoning thus far. I'd say town.
I'd agree with you that Mastahcheese seems to be good town. But keep in the back of you mind the possibility that he could be very good scum.

There's another factor: even moderately good scum, and sometimes bad scum, can look good and Town in comparison to a very scummy-looking player.

That said, I'm pretty convinced mastahcheese is Town, and I'm the bad example he's being examined in light of.

Sinlessmoon: lurker. But not scummy. You seem to have a valid excuse. Fear is a powerful thing.

Indeed, just because I happen to not be active in the thread, doesn't mean I'm not watching the thread intently. People like to believe that just because If I'm inactive, I am scum; In truth though, I could very well be not scum. Someone who is scum is more likely to be active, trying to throw blame on someone in order to get them lynched. Eh Makeinu?

Fear of what? Losing? It's not like we cut fingers off if you don't win. Get in there and play, dammit!

While it's true that scum tend to be fairly active (I'm more interested and invested in a game when I'm scum, for example), scum's goal is often not to get noticed. Sometimes this means lurking. Lurkers are also annoying to have around as lack of activity can kill a game or make a scum win easier. It also causes town to have less information about that player.

Anyway, if you had to vote this second, who would it be on?

While true, it would be much more likely (in my opinion) that scum would be really active. Lurking on the other hand seems counter-intuitive to the scums goal which would be to get other players lynched. Although this comes from a guy who's only real forum mafia game is this one... Well, lets just say that take it with a large helping of salt. :P

Also, to who I would vote on? Makeinu would be that person, he seems overly suspicious and seems to be very pro-lynch towards everyone. I just don't trust him.

Also, if you're going to try deflection like that *points at bolded section* at least back it up with an actual vote. FoS just looks weak, if you don't trust me that much.

Btw, multiple town-claiming, I  speak from experience, normally is looked upon as scummy.

So far, the two players on my watch list are Makeinu, and Superblackcat. Both seem equally suspicious in the way they seem to be incredibly pro-lynch.

Pro-lynch. SBC really did make a great case for why it's the best idea, but I'll also refer you back to this from the OP:

Spoiler: On D1 No-lynches (click to show/hide)

Persus: My experience of scum here is horrid

Fake claiming as a third party, and then getting killed for claiming as that third party. Because it's dangerous.

That was a bad situation to replace into, no arguing that.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2014, 05:04:11 am »

makeinu:

It seemed to me that you we're saying that actively looking for town was a good idea. Like looking for town instead of scum. I understand that one has to keep an open mind when hunting scum so they can avoid distorting what they see. Is this what you we're meaning?

As for fear, I for one am still terrified of messing up and looking like an idiot. Losing isn't a problem for me. Losing is just as valuable as winning, and sometimes more valuable. But the thought of looking like an idiot and making everyone think I'm an idiot on my very first mafia game scares me. ((Any advice for me? Aside from just getting out there anyway, which I've been trying to do.))

Extend.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2014, 08:17:52 am »

2 extends in! 24 hours left.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:19:43 am by Tiruin »

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

Also, if you're going to try deflection like that *points at bolded section* at least back it up with an actual vote. FoS just looks weak, if you don't trust me that much.

Btw, multiple town-claiming, I  speak from experience, normally is looked upon as scummy.

Rightfully so, I can definitely see how It could be.

I would much rather not cast my vote pre-maturely, even though I don't trust you; that doesn't mean I believe you to be scum. I'd rather be sure of my vote than cast it poorly.

So far, the two players on my watch list are Makeinu, and Superblackcat. Both seem equally suspicious in the way they seem to be incredibly pro-lynch.

Pro-lynch. SBC really did make a great case for why it's the best idea, but I'll also refer you back to this from the OP:

That is true enough, what SBC referred to was definitely concise about it. I stand by my opinion that it seems scummy to jump to conclusions and begin the lynch-mobile.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:34 pm »

Sinless, depending on the situation, there are certainly... benefits to NLing.

The most obvious one is the Town PRs, such as the cop. They get two nights worth of investigating vs one. So I can't tell you if you want to NL or not, you have to make the decision, but I can give you the two sides, and let you decide.

That being said, I'm still ardent on my Makeinu vote.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »

Sinless, depending on the situation, there are certainly... benefits to NLing.

The most obvious one is the Town PRs, such as the cop. They get two nights worth of investigating vs one. So I can't tell you if you want to NL or not, you have to make the decision, but I can give you the two sides, and let you decide.

That being said, I'm still ardent on my Makeinu vote.
I'll agree with this. In this game, there are one, possibly two town power roles, so Nights are more beneficial to scum than town. However, some games have lots of town power roles that do various stuff, so that may be more beneficial for town.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »

As for fear, I for one am still terrified of messing up and looking like an idiot. Losing isn't a problem for me. Losing is just as valuable as winning, and sometimes more valuable. But the thought of looking like an idiot and making everyone think I'm an idiot on my very first mafia game scares me. ((Any advice for me? Aside from just getting out there anyway, which I've been trying to do.))
I can understand that fear, I really can. But honestly, don't worry about it, (I know you still will, but bear with me) this is Beginner's Mafia. This is what this was designed for, to get people who have never played the game before to try it. You don't have to worry about looking like an idiot because this isn't some kind of Call of Duty game or other such nonsense where people will sigh loudly into their headsets and call you a "noob", this is a place of learning and education. So get out there and learn, and I think you'll find that you won't do that bad at all. If you make mistakes, then hey, it's not like it hasn't happened twenty times before, to each and every person here. Everyone had to begin somewhere, and I like to think that we're in one of the most understanding communities out there, so we'll understand. Don't worry, you're doing fine.
The Derail Thread

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2014, 10:46:49 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBB!
Alright, done.

Mess up all you want. That's why I'm here. So I can feel superior So I can help new people. Same with Makeinu, Persus, and Nerjin. Anyone who's played before will try to help you.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:22 pm »

Mess up all you want. That's why I'm here. So I can feel superior So I can help new people. Same with Makeinu, Persus, and Nerjin. Anyone who's played before will try to help you.
Don't forget pufferfish, wherever they are. They played at least one game before this one.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38