Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Psych test: Rank these 7 people from "best" to "worst"  (Read 6342 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Psych test: Rank these 7 people from "best" to "worst"
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 11:15:41 pm »

1. Gary: Gets the bro award for broness, letting a man eat and not reporting him for some minor violation that might be or w/e.
2. Dan: No fault provided.
3. Fernando: Yeah, he stole something, and kiiinda dined-and-dashed, but there's nothing of value actually lost, and the man needs to eat.
4. Adam: Mm, this, like Carrie, is nebulous with the provided information, but: assuming he learns from Edward that he and Betty sexed, he didn't do much. Otherwise, though, assuming they're in a relationship, he's still cheating.
5. Carrie: Assuming Adam and Betty are in a relationship, she is trying to get him to cheat on her, which isn't very good.
6. Betty: Assuming they're in a relationship, DEAR GOD WHAT A HORRIBLE WOMAN. She: makes a scene, then proceeds to SEX EDWARD JUST BECAUSE OF ADAM'S TACT ERROR. And then quite possibly goads Edward into HOSPITALIZING Adam.
7. Edward: Legit violent criminal, hospitalized man, bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 03:28:42 am »

1. Dan: Literally no way to call 'im a jerk, morally or legally. Also, gets bonus points for being chill as hell. Girl he comes in with wants to sex up another guy? Another man would take offense, but Dan's such a chill guy he just wraps up his drink and leaves.
2. Gary: Good guy, with a minor breach of trust with his job, nothing problematic.
3. Fernando: Eh, nothing really to say. Broke the law, but nothing immensely wrong. Also gets put above Adam for having the ~best name~.
4. Adam: At worst, kinda dickish, maaaaybe a tad overly honest, but hey, if she's that okay with cheating on him and having a guy beat him up, she certainly had a few hurtful words coming.
5. Carrie: A tad rude to Dan, but eh.
6. Betty: Cheats on a guy because he dared say a slightly rude thing. May not have intended for Edward to beat him up, but even so.
7. Edward: Do I even need to justify this?

Honestly, no offense, LB, but this reminds me unpleasantly of one of the silly psycho-analyst things from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. (Couldn't find a vid, but it was essentially the same idea(story was different, involving a runaway bride getting gored by a bull, but as I said, same idea), in that unless you have serious issues, it turns out in one particular way, and the only realistic changes are gonna be in the minute details) Just not nearly enough grey areas to be interesting.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 03:30:41 am »

7. Adam
7. Betty
7. Carrie
7. Dan
7. Edward
7. Fernando
7. Gary

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 04:01:53 am »

1.Andrew
1.Andrew
1.Andrew
1.Andrew
1.Andrew
1.Andrew
1.Andrew

I may be drunk
May the mass times acceleration be with you

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 04:19:31 am »

I would say:
1. Gary - Helps a starving man, good deed.
2. Everyone except Gary and Edward - Did nothing good, but nothing wrong either.
3. Edward - Beats someone up.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:08:34 am »

1)Dan - The Cool Guy I would like to be
2)Gary - Has done nothing wrong (unless, I don't know, it was some exclusive restaurant and he let a hobo in?)
3)Fernando - If not for him, the food would be wasted

Now it's getting more difficult:

4)Carie - I wonder if she's got an STD already
5)Betty - Attention whore and mentally unstable
6)Edward - Seriusly what the fuck
7)Adam - The Looser - doesn't get laid and winds up injured - I woldn't like to be this guy

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:51:46 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 05:41:51 am »

Using only the information provided and (I hope) assuming nothing:

1) Gary - doesn't harm or hurt anyone, does help someone.
2) Dan / Fernando / Carrie - don't help anyone, but don't harm or hurt anyone either.
3) Adam - hurts someone's feelings in a way that could easily have been foreseen and avoided (only a sliver below Dan / Fernando / Carrie though, as he was only answering a question).
4) Betty - baits Adam, subjects him to unnecessary shouting, very likely disrupts the dining experience of paying customers.
5) Edwards - assaults Adam.

These rankings could easily change with more information, e.g. if Dan and Carrie are in a monogamous relationship then Carrie drops in the rankings.

Least want to be: either Adam or Fernando. Going *only* on the scenario presented I'd say Adam, because being beaten to the point of hospitalisation sounds more unpleasant than going a couple days with only one meal.  However, based on what I know of the real world it seems more likely that lack of food is a recurring issue for someone than being beaten, so long term I'd suspect Fernando would be the worst person to be.

Most want to be: don't care / don't want to be any of them, as if I were any of them I'd no longer be me and what I want wouldn't matter anymore (and there's no information on whether any of these characters are happy with who they are).

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:03 am »

This reminds me of a similar personality test thing a while back, which asked you to sort a few Robin Hood characters morally by way of a short story concerning them (with, like this test, many of the details unfilled). I recall coming out of the web test thing with it telling me I was a horrible person for the choices I'd picked, so I'm not all that enthusiastic to attempt it again.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:30 am »

This reminds me of a similar personality test thing a while back, which asked you to sort a few Robin Hood characters morally by way of a short story concerning them (with, like this test, many of the details unfilled). I recall coming out of the web test thing with it telling me I was a horrible person for the choices I'd picked, so I'm not all that enthusiastic to attempt it again.

Oh yeah, I did it once quite awhile ago.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 06:32:38 am »

Oh yeah, I did it once quite awhile ago.

Hrm.  Oh, here's one of those.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 06:35:53 am »

Cool, I actually got a fairly good reply out of that one.
Most importantly, perfectly healthy sex life. Aw yeah.

Is LB ever actually going to give us results on this?
Or is that actually the experiment?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:40:04 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 07:35:00 am »

In order from best to worst:
1. Gary. Does nothing wrong and lets Fernando have food.
2. Dan. Does nothing wrong, but didn't help anyone.
3. Fernando. Tries to take leftover food from a resturant under false pretenses, which is of very minor badness.
4. Adam. Is tactless, which is of slightly less minor badness.
5. Carrie. Is very tactless, but means well.
6. Betty. Asks unreasonable questions and is prone to fits of anger.
7. Edward. Veat Adam until he had to go to the hospital. That is very very bad.

Who I would like to be most: Dan. He does not have any obvious character flaws, is rich and I wouldn't have to change my name.
Who I would like to be least: Edward. He is a terrible person, is likely to be arrested and shares a name with a Twilight protagonist.

Now, to go read the responses!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 08:28:26 am »

The followup

Is LB ever actually going to give us results on this?

Now that people have submitted answers, here's the followup. A few people didn't follow directions very well, several people didn't explain their reasons and there were a couple joke submissions. So it's difficult to give numbers, but here's "more or less" how people responded.

Almost everyone...

...Said the person they'd least want to be is Fernando, and not Edward. And yet almost everyone agreed that Edward was the "worst" person. True, we don't know much about Fernando's circumstances. But pretty much everyone agreed either that he's done nothing wrong, or that at the very worst what he does is understandable and forgivable given his circumstances. And that what Edward does is the worst thing anyone does and simply not acceptable.  Some describe him as a "violent criminal." And yet people would rather be Edward than the guy who's gone a couple days without eating. Is it better to be a bad person, or to be in a bad situation? Apparently, most people would rather be a bad person.

Almost everyone...

...assumed that Betty is dating Adam, and not Edward. How does your view of the story change if Edward is her boyfriend, and she's either cheating on him with Adam...or Adam is merely an aquaintence? After all, Adam might be turning Carrie down just because "random girl he doesn't know offers sex" is potentially an awkward or dangerous situation, and not because of any commitment to Betty.

Most people...

...ranked Gary as the "best," and described his action as a "good deed." And yet, he doesn't actually do anything to help Fernando. All he does is not do anything to hinder him.  There's some division here, as a couple people viewed his actions as failing to fulfill the obligations of his employment. Curiously, while there's disagreement over whether Fernando's actions were or were not stealing, even the people who say that Fernando was stealing still generally agree that Gary was virtuous for allowing him to do so.

Almost everyone...

...would rather be Dan than Gary, even if they describe Gary as the better person. If I were to do this test again, I think I'd have Dan also see Fernando and also choose to do nothing. That would give us the comparison of both the two of them taking no action, and I suspect that many people would see Dan's lack of action as a bad thing, but Gary's lack of action as a good deed.

About half of everyone...

...assumed that Carrie and Dan are dating, and therefore assumed that Dan is a "chill, cool guy" because he watched his date sexually proposition Adam, and took it and stride. There isn't much reason to assume they're dating. Dan drove away in a chauffeured limo, but Carrie left in her own car. What if they're business aquaintences? Why assume that he's unfazed because he's awesome, and not that he's unfazed because he has no claim on Carrie?

About half of everyone...

...agreed that Fernando "did nothing wrong," and yet they ranked him as "worse" than Adam, who most people generally agree either "did nothing wrong" or was at worst tactless, even though most people agree that Betty's reaction was completely unreasonable.

People are fairly divided on...

...whether Adam's "honest answer" was neutral or bad. Some people see it as "just being honest." Whereas others see it as either tactless or stupid. Nobody valued his honesty in the face of apparent danger.

People are somewhat divided on...

...whether Fernando's actions qualify as stealing. While the general consensus leans heavily to the side that his actions were ok given the circumstances, some people describe it as "ok, period" while others describe them as "not ok...but forgivable."

Most people...

...assumed that Adam "somehow knew" about Betty's involvement with Edward, and that it was reasonable for him to approach Carrie for sex because it safe to say his relationship was over. What's especially interesting about this is that nobody explicitly states that it's the fact of Betty sleeping with Edward that makes it ok for him to assume that the relationship is over, while several people do state that being beaten up by Edward is enough reason for him to assume the relationship is over. The implication is that several people appear to be blaming Edward's actions on Betty.

How did Adam know about any of this? Does your view of the story change if Adam had no knowledge of Betty's involvement with Edward, and had no idea who Edward even was?

Absolutely nobody...

...fell for the trap of assuming that Dan was a bad guy because he was rich. Except for Tack. But I assume that was tongue in cheek humor. Personally I find the lack of result here interesting, because "rich people are bad" is a remarkably common view.

Absolutely nobody...

...wondered why Fernando took from Adam and Betty's table rather than Dan and Carrie's.

There is a general trend that...

...people assume that financial circumstances are enduring, but other circumstances are not. Almost everyone wanted to be Dan, but nobody considered that he might only have the limo for the night then go back to his ordinary life. He is, after all, eating at the same place as everyone else, and his presumed date is walking out on him. Almost everyone agreed that they didn't want to be Fernando, but nobody considered that he might just be temporarily down on his luck and will get back on his feet soon. People would apparently rather be Adam, the guy who most assumed his girlfriend was cheating on him and had just been hospitalized for being beaten up. I suspect that if anyone here were to given the choice of "not eating for a couple days and taking food from a table" or "having your girlfriend cheat on you and then be hospitalized" most people would probably choose to not eat for a couple days. The implication is that people are assuming that Adam's situation is a one time event and not a recurring problem in his life, that Dan isn't such a hopeless loser that despite having money he's stuck with dates walking out on him anyway...whereas Fernando's situation is one that won't easily go away.

Curiously also, people would rather be Betty than Fernando. Betty, who most agree is emotionally unstable, some described her as a "cheating bitch" and she's apparently having sex with the person everyone agrees is the worst person of the bunch...and yet they'd rather be her than the guy who hasn't eaten in a couple days. As described above, apparently most people would rather be a bad person than have bad circumstances.

Finally, almost everyone...

...viewed the entire event from within a values framework that relationships imply exclusivity. People ranked Carrie down because she responded to someone who said she was attractive, because it was "bad" to do that because Adam was assumed to be in a committed relationship. People ranked Betty down for "cheating" on Adam, because Adam was assumed to be in a committed relationship. People ranked Dan up because they assumed that he was at least on a date with Carrie, and "must be cool" to not react to her propositioning Adam.

Thank you for your participation.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 08:46:46 am »

Godammit, I can't help but see anyone named Edward as the guy from metropolis part 2

I may do this later. Only got a little sleep last night, so my ability to concentrate and understand what's going on in that paragraph is FUBARed

You're not alone on this, especially with what he does in the story. Fortunately, he would land at the very bottom anyway, so hopefully bias didn't affect the result (too much).

The followup

I disagree with some of the conclusions:

RE: relationships imply exclusivity

The results are somewhat skewered by the fact that even if you, personally, do not share this point of view, the characters do. Also, you can still cheat in a polyamorous relationship - the problem not being having sex with other people, but dishonesty on the part of the person if s/he hadn't informed their partner/s.

All the conclusions derived from people ranking X one level higher or lower than Y are problematic, because the scale does not have to have the equal density at various points - 3/4/5 tend to be bunched together far more than 1-2 and 6-7

RE: Why Fernando took from Adam and Betty's table

Since the OP makes it sound like he entered the restaurant after A,B,C,D left, this information is of marginal importance.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 09:04:16 am »

RE: relationships imply exclusivity

The results are somewhat skewered by the fact that even if you, personally, do not share this point of view, the characters do.

What reason do you have to assume this?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4