Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What if they held a siege...and nobody came?  (Read 4021 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
What if they held a siege...and nobody came?
« on: November 29, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »

Picked up an old save today to while away Buy Nothing Day. A vampire promptly ate one of my hammer lords, so I built her a nice private lever to pull forever, set her to the task, and started following her to see when she finally decided to get to business.

While she was finishing up her last lye-making job, I noticed a little message at the bottom of the screen:

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

What? I didn't see a popup! I checked the Units menu...and there was nobody new there. I looked at the top; no SIEGE in red. I unpaused it for a bit, and got an announcement that Chop Suey had made yet another masterwork roast. Life goes on. But the announcement is still sitting there in the log, and I never got a popup notification.

Did I just get a siege with nobody in it?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: What if they held a siege...and nobody came?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »

You also get that notice when a necromancer shows up, and they have stealth, just like thieves. So you have a necromancer sneaking around. If you have a corpse pile and he gets to it, you'll have a zombie disaster.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:14:15 pm »

Nope. You actually get a message to the effect of "The dead walk, run for your lives."

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

OH. I think I remember now.

Sometimes a werebeast will show up and then untransform immediately on hitting the map and then run off again. That could be it.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:30:13 pm »

No, pretty sure that's "The were*foo* Urist McWerefoo has arrived! Now you will know why you fear the night."

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:42 pm »

Only one goblin came and was insta-gibbed?
That could be a possibility.
Doesn't explain why I got no popup message. Anyway, I don't have any dwarves near the edge of the map. The military is all gathered in one huge mass on top of the ramp to the mountaintop, where the entrance is. Apparently they spend their time taking potshots at owls, pushing babies off the ledge, and giggling.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:35:10 am »

Posting to watch. Did you figure out what caused it?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 01:14:21 am »

At first I thought this thread would be about the rare glitch where a fort will stay under siege even after all the invaders were killed.

Though the cause of both may be the same. In my experience, the permanent siege was caused by units who were unable to path into the map, and lingered just outside of the game as de-loaded units, making them literally untouchable even with DFHack, but still technically invading.

Check the edges of your map, and clear any trees or other obstacles that may block pathing. But first, check your stocks as well, you may see foreign weapons and armour that, when zoomed in on, should jump to the edge of the map where the invader is supposed to enter.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 01:21:17 am »

I saw nothing at all in game. But I did find one thing that was interesting.

The DFHack window had some things in it that I don't know why they were there. It said:

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
GrowthFix: Fixed 4 units.
GrowthFix: Fixed 27 units.
The siege has been broken.

I had just upgraded LNP before I built this world (and then left it sitting for a few months) so I honestly don't really know what GrowthFix is, or why siege announcements would be in the DFHack window. I have to assume, since I don't think anything else has changed, that whatever's in this LNP had to have something to do with it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 01:29:30 am »

Oh, it's DFHack telling you this. I must have missed that. I thought it was the typical screen covering message.

I'm not sure when that was added, or even which script causes it, but the message shows up whenever any kind of invader shows up, even thieves and goblin snatchers. It's likely a werebeast that entered the map, turned back to normal, then left without being seen. I can't think of any other type of invader that would trigger both messages without being seen and/or killed. Unless a kobold made off with something or a goblin took a burden child.

E: To elaborate more on what your seeing, I'm guessing someone made a script to inform you when a siege was started and when it ends, but I don't honestly know. I'm only speculating here, but I'm guessing that it picking up thieves and other stealthy invaders is unintended.

The GrowthFix script is there to fix a glitch where some things born in-game will not grow to full size. It targets all creatures on the map, from your dwarves to wild animals to even invaders. It periodically runs every few in-game months, and informs you of how many units were fixed. Though I believe it also "fixes" units that weren't glitched in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:49:02 am by BlackFlyme »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 01:53:50 am »

The "vile force of darkness" message appeared in game, but as a standard log entry, not as a popup, as well as appearing in DFHack. The "siege has been broken" message only appeared in DFHack. Since very little time passed between when the message appeared in game and when I checked the Units window, I assume the 31 GrowthFixes must have been applied to the invaders? Who then disappeared for no good reason? I dunno.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 02:05:57 am »

GrowthFix doesn't discriminate when it runs, it always targets everything on the map, so all the wild animals, the tame animals, your dwarves, and the unknown invaders would be a part of that 31.

Also, it is possible for DFHack to add in log entries. It bugs me all the time when I'm using the workflow plug-in and informs me when a new mayor is elected.