Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Symbiote" Original fiction by me. Updated daily-ish  (Read 6790 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Symbiote" Original fiction by me. Updated daily-ish
« on: December 01, 2013, 03:49:37 am »

As mentioned in the nanowrimo thread, I've put 20 chapters into an ongoing web serial fiction so far.  I didn't do it for nanowrimo though, I sortof caught the writing bog from watching this guy:  http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/

Wildbow showed me by example that serialized fiction is fun, and gave a damn good example of how it's done.  Go there.  Read it.  Even if you don't check out my stuff at all, read Worm.  The first few chapters are a bit slow but it picks up pretty fast.  In total it's about 2 million words, and there's all sorts of complex interactions between characters and concepts if you like that stuff, but plenty of simple straightforward smackdown if you like that.  Grey morality superhero universe.  Wildbow understands the Blood God.

As for my stuff?  A middle aged guy discovers one day that he has a symbiote when it starts talking to him and demonstrating some of the things it can do for him, and we go from there.  Modern fiction, I'm shooting for (mostly) smart enemies, and a hero with faults, trying to figure out what the fork is happening in the world with the human and symbiote populations.

The first book is seventeen chapters.  The second book is sitting at three chapters now.  I update daily-ish with posts that average about 3k words.  Feel free to stop by.  You can throw fruit either there or here :)

http://farmerbob1.wordpress.com/

The first few chapters were terrible for tense errors.  Several chapters in Book 1 might still have tense errors.  Working on that, but the worst of the narration tense stuff should be fixed, at least up to chapter 1.5

Book 1 = 17 chapters
Book 2 = 18 chapters
Book 3 up to the 2nd chapter now
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:16:41 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: "Symbiote" Original fiction by me. Updated daily-ish
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52:05 am »

Ooh webserial! Reading.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:54 am »

There are actually two webserial links up there.  One's for the web serial that got me started, and the other is for mine.  I try to give Wildbow some hits when I can in appreciation for the fact that he got me off my ass with pen in hand.  Well on my ass with keyboard under fingers.  Whatever, you get it I'm sure :)
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:07:54 am »

Oh I've read Worm all through. I'm interested in reading your thing now.
Sig! Onol

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:17:00 am »

Oh I've read Worm all through. I'm interested in reading your thing now.

Cool :)  Feel free to throw fruit.  It's hard criticizing my own stuff.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 01:12:46 pm »

Ooh, I'm not the only one who had the idea to start a web serial, eh? Nice! :P I haven't posted anything yet, but I had planned on it.

As for the 'fruits,' I'm not big on throwing fruits at people who write as a hobby to share with people freely - published authors beware, though - so I'll just hand you a banana. Or a pomegranate. Whatever your favorite fruit might be.

I haven't read much - I'm only a little ways in, due to time restraints - but I actually like your style, of what I've read, a little better than Worms. So you have that going for you, even though my opinion doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that made me flinch a bit was the *snickt* bit. It's a style choice, I suppose, but I personally dislike onomatopoeia in prose fiction. Especially when offset in an unconventional way. For what it's worth, use italics if you must have the onomatopoeia.

Other than that, keep it up. This is pretty cool. :D
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:02:43 pm »

I use so much italics for Frank's voice, I didn't want to use it for anything else, but you're right, that is just weird looking.  Fine for an email, but in something that should at least nod it's head at literary convention, I'll change it.  Thanks for the reality check :)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:30:58 am »

Couple new chapters up, Chapter 2.7 is one big fight scene.  I got stuck in dialog and history stuff too much.

Trying to tell the backstory during the story, as part of the plotline, is a bit bothersome.  By the end of this book though I should be where I want to be, knowledge wise, for Bob and Frank and the readers.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:49 am »

Chapters 2.8, 2.9, and 2.10 are up

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:34:47 am »

Sorry for not critiquing; been kinda busy. I am reading this though.
Sig! Onol

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 10:07:50 pm »

Chapters 2.11 and 2.12 are up.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 06:48:40 am »

Chapter 2.13 and 2.14 are now up

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:50 am »

Chapters 2.15 and 2.16 are up.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 01:01:48 pm »

Heh. Chapter 2.17 and 2.18 up

Oh, it's the end of Book 2 as well.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 02:52:08 pm »

Break from school! So I can read it.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2 3