Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question on multiplayer (not what you think..)  (Read 833 times)

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question on multiplayer (not what you think..)
« on: November 30, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »

Howdy, are there any DFHack wizards out there who can answer a couple of questions?
  • Can DFHack spawn creatures of specific species, equipment, name etc?
  • Could a program, using DFHack's methods, regularly read data from the region?
  • Either by getting a block's type and maybe contents based on some coordinate system, or dump 'the whole lot' and let the program read through it?
  • Can DFHack access the raws? Or perhaps the raw files? (to make a hashcode so different 'raw sets' could be differenciated)
  • Finally, could I somehow mod a new type of designation or a new building like the Trade Depot?

Ever since seeing 2 mods for Kerbal Space Program (KLF and KMP) I've gained a new appreciation of what multiplayer really is.

My poorly thought idea:
Somehow trigger DFHack to read the creatures/objects in a location, pass the data and a 'raw hash' to another program, delete/kill them.

..... then somewhere across the intarwebs ....

DFHack spawns in specific creatures/objects at an above ground location and lets life resume as usual.

If the above is possible, little 'invasion files' could be sent between players. Assuming the 'raw hash' of both the player and the file are the same, the raws are probably compatible.... probably

All advice or condemnation welcome :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:29:00 pm by davesoft »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: A question on multiplayer (not what you think..)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:28:20 am »

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes

You can't make a new one like the Trade Depot, but you can make a new one like the Soap Maker's Workshop.

Good luck.

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:39:31 pm »

Awesome! I'll start googling and see what I can come up with :D

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:42:16 pm »

Use the link in my signature to go to my wiki guide and look under "Your first custom reaction and building."

There is a program there that allows you to visually see easily and quickly export the raw data.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »

Use the link in my signature to go to my wiki guide and look under "Your first custom reaction and building."

There is a program there that allows you to visually see easily and quickly export the raw data.

DFHack allows for easy iteration, reading etc.