Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round #16: Me and My Dragon  (Read 19520 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round #16: Me and My Dragon
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:47 am »

Heheheh we've been looking at the graphs for a while...

One thing I have to ask, now that all the cards are on the table.  Why did Jomon have 800+ infantry in one place, and what did you do to kill most of them?  I would have watched that fight but I staled so my scouts were out of position.

Here's the turn before (to show setup) and the turn of the battle in question.

Also, I would like to think that the final turn shows the idiocy of the "conventional wisdom" that there's no value in having more than 1pt of PD, "because enemies can always take out more than that, so all you need is 1pt to stop scouts". More PD isn't about always being able to stop raiders, it's about deterring raiders, and making the enemy actually invest (and risk) resources IOT raid.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2015, 12:47:46 am »

Welp. Good Game everyone! I certainly enjoyed it, but alas, all good things must come to an end...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2015, 01:24:34 am »

Alrighty, here's the score graphs.

Spoiler: Provinces (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Forts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Income (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gem Income (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dominion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Army Size (click to show/hide)
Key: Yellow = C'tis, Greenish-Light-Blue = Mictlan, Very similar shade of light blue = Arco, Red = Midgard, Darkest-Green = Pangaea, Dark Grey = Agartha, Light Grey = Jomon, Dark Blue = R'yleh.

I'll post a more detailed AAR later, but if you look at the graphs you'll see that I'm not particularly high on any of them, except for gem income, which didn't matter much in the end except for death income, which I had 10+ of and Mictlan was feeding me even more.

The reason for most of these is that I tried to play without needing very much.  All sacred mages leading mostly summoned troops = very little upkeep, only ever built one fort, only really needed to reach Evo 6, although Enchantment 5 turned out to be highly useful despite being an afterthought.  All I really needed was death income to get my Tomb Kings up and freespawning sacreds everywhere, and to that end I personally site searched every province we owned up to D3 or D4, even Mictlan's provinces.  I imagined myself something as the support to Mictlan's ADC if you'll forgive the LoL jargon.  In the early game I gave Mictlan ~2,000 gold to build forts with so he could spam jaguar warriors.  Although I ended up getting 500 back as a relief fund to rebuild the temple at C'tis after an earthquake.  The reason for this setup is that C'tis plateaus at Banefire.  Sure its an amazing spell but its better than anything else their national mages can do (excepting big globals like Darkness), so once I have it its all downhill from there.  Whereas Mictlan is pretty much infinitely scaleable into a lategame juggernaut.

This isn't exactly how it turned out because, well, it was Noselyjack's first game.  He didn't know how to use magic, and at the start he didn't know how to set up his armies to control who takes damage.  All of which is completely understandable of course.  If he had known how to set up a blood economy I can only assume he would have been even more powerful than he ended up being.  I believed that he would get an awake dragon to deal with his inexperience and our T3M3 scales.  This was not the case due to me not knowing the disciple dormancy rules, as a result his first fight had his priest king dying because he didn't script the army at all.  Later he graduated to warriors in the front (he didn't want to pay them any more after he saw what jaguars could do), then jaguars, then priests.  I will say that he was right there with the strategic planning the whole time; picking out enemies and coordinating with me exactly when to do the first invasion and then the throne rush.  He also had a good head for the "split the army and run amok" strategy.  Anyway, you might notice our dominion sucks?  Noselyjack never spread my dominion.  I'm pretty sure he's planning on usurping the title of Pantokrator...

Let's see, what else?  Jomon sure had a lot of stuff by the end of the game.  I presume due to their number of provinces combined with not having tanked scales.  Arco and Midgard only ever built a single fort, and probably as a consequence their armies were each smaller than the average nation's.  That being said they have said that they had early game problems.  Arco's research was impeccable even when they were trapped in their cap.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]