Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play Civilization 2- WW2 Scenario as Axis (Screenshot LP)  (Read 10036 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization 2- WW2 Scenario as Axis (Screenshot LP)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After our turn we suffer Allied counterattacks in New York but hold the city.  Barbarians capture Batun, but since it's not an objective city it's not a big deal.  We also take Kursk with some bombers and lose a tank in the process.

In a massive tactical blunder on my part, I accidentally leave Moscow undefended and the Russians just drop right in.  Retaking the city is easy but it was a foolish mistake.  But we take Washington and defeat the Allies.  When you capture all enemy cities, their units all get disbanded so the Partisans in the U.S. and in the middle east all disappeared.  So in December 1946, all that's left is the Russians.

On the eastern front, we bribe Kazan again.  Notice all the barbarian units in the area.  We also take Maikop, Naples (a city the Russians built) and reclaim Batum from the barbarians.  There are five turns left in the scenario.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:17 pm »

Sorry about the delay in getting this finished, but there's just a few turns left and not much of anything interesting to do.  With only a few bombers on the eastern front it'll be slow going.

We take Kharkov in June of 1947.  We also take Dnepropetrovsk, meaning our tanks and bombers are now right outside Stalingrad, the Russian's current capital.  The partisans outside the city are easy to handle too.

A barbarian takes Basra from us, but it's not an objective city and it's far over in the corner.  But we get a lot of zero-support partisans.  The Russians also use our vast network of railroads...to deliver cloth!  Stalingrad has a ton of defenders, and our bombers are a bit wounded already.  Aside from Stalingrad, I have tanks outside Kuibychev.  It takes a few partisans but we liberate Basra.

October 1947, we take Kuibychev and then Stalingrad, losing a number of bombers and tanks in the process.   At this point, because of the number of enemy partisans, and the fact that there really aren't any more roads that lead further east into Russia, there isn't anything further we can do.

And here's our score and civilization rating.  We have 65 out of 70 objective points.  The only objective cities we didn't capture are Krasnovodsk, Astrakhan, Orsk, Sverdlosk, and Magnitogorsk.

A view of what we control at the end of the scenario, which is everything from New York to right up to the Caspian Sea.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 03:09:23 am »

Well done.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:02 am »

Now win it as the neutrals!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 09:22:39 am »

In the past, I tried to LP "Civ2, WW2 as Axis", but it failed horribly and I never did any updates past the first chapter.

I am surprised that nobody used nuclear weapons in the war. That's a good thing: nuclear weapons can cause a lot of pollution, which can eventually lead to global warming. That was something I was expecting to happen in that LP as well. Granted, I suspect the reason nobody used nuclear weapons was because you did not bother to build the Manhattan Project, even though doing so gives you an extra Objective point.

One thing that isn't readily apparent though in that scenario (which is why I'm making this post): it is possible to switch your government as the Axis.

The Axis does not have Fundamentalism researched, so if you can research that, then you can get the option to go into Anarchy, and then after a turn of anarchy, you can switch governments. I tend to aim for Fundamentalism because I like the 100% happiness rate, but if you hate corruption, you might take the opportunity to switch to Democracy. Though I'm a bad Civ2 player, I would suspect that a better Civ2 player might take advantage of this 'govswitch' to improve the Axis' chances.

Normally, you CAN'T choose to go into anarchy during a scenario; the option is just disabled. However, the game offers you the option to go into anarchy immediately after you research a new government tech, and that, surprisingly, is not disabled.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2]