Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! War Hammer materials (Arena testing).  (Read 6929 times)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! War Hammer materials (Arena testing).
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »

Version: 0.34.11

Mods: Lazy Newb Pack.
Modified creature_standard.txt to avoid different sizes for dwarves.

Spoiler: creature_standard.txt (click to show/hide)

New LNP Nov 16, 2013  (dwarffortress with Urist Da Vinci's Patch)

Arena results (500 rounds - 1 dwarf vs 1 dwarf):

Conclusion:
All metal materials tested (except adamantine) seem to be doing the same for war hammers against leather armor, almost the same against iron armor (highest is 11% difference between gold and silver) and there is a small diference when hitting adamantine armor (highest is 21% difference between platinum and steel).
The results are:
Platinum>=Gold>Copper>Silver=Steel=Iron

Old LNP (dwarffortress without Urist Da Vinci's Patch)
Arena results (100 rounds - 1 dwarf vs 1 dwarf):

Conclusion:
All metal materials tested (except adamantine) seem to be doing the same for war hammers with no noticeable difference (at least against armored enemies).
Less density might give advantage over high densities due to the bug reported by Urist Da Vinci (weights with a large decimal values are more important than densities)
Very high impact yield and very high impact fracture gave no advantage against very low impact values.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:29:17 pm by MetalRocks »
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! War Hammer materials (Arena testing).
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:58:49 pm »

I think the problem is the tradeoff of speed of strikes against damage of strikes, a hammer that shatters every rib is good, but if you only get one swing and hit him in the finger, you're dead
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:36 pm »

Over on the modding forum I made a thread a while ago where I explained how the material properties are used in combat: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131995.0

I should go update the wiki someday.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:45:54 pm »

MetalRocks, did you do it manually or you know a way to automate the testing? Could you do some more experiments for me?
1. Check if adamantine is really worse.
2. Check if silver is notably better then iron if both dwarfs have leather armor.
3. Make lighter version of iron and test it vs iron like you tested heaveier version of iron.
4. (only if you know how to automate the testing) Do platinum vs steel (full leather+adamantine) for 1000 or more rounds.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Oort

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN'T_LEARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:20 pm »

So does higher density have a fewer number of stronger hits?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:09 pm »

So does higher density have a fewer number of stronger hits?
The traditional understanding is that greater density == harder hits. However, this study goes against that.

Someone should check the actual code dealing with it update the wiki with their findings from the code.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:38:47 am »

Edited original post with new data.

I think the problem is the tradeoff of speed of strikes against damage of strikes, a hammer that shatters every rib is good, but if you only get one swing and hit him in the finger, you're dead

Not sure about that. But seems that a material with half the density of iron can be about as good as iron or a material 10 times denser. I think there could be a (hardcoded) cap in density so that adamantine cant be used for war hammers.

Over on the modding forum I made a thread a while ago where I explained how the material properties are used in combat: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131995.0

Complicated but interesting. In the set of defense calculations for use against blunt weapons the material of the blunt weapon is not used. Only in the set of defense calculations for edge weapons the material matters (shear yield and shear fracture)

MetalRocks, did you do it manually or you know a way to automate the testing? Could you do some more experiments for me?
1. Check if adamantine is really worse.
2. Check if silver is notably better then iron if both dwarfs have leather armor.
3. Make lighter version of iron and test it vs iron like you tested heaveier version of iron.
4. (only if you know how to automate the testing) Do platinum vs steel (full leather+adamantine) for 1000 or more rounds.

1. It is REALLY worse. It seems the only kills the adamantine war hammer holders got were by bites when opponents didn't have any hammerdwarf skill level.
2. Both seem pretty much the same. See the results in the original post.
3. Done. Can't see a real difference except when it has adamantine density, in which case it acts exactly like adamantine (it is useless)
4. Unfortunately I dont know how to automate the testing. I just load the arena.txt (the arena map) with over a thousand dungeons already built and then place the dwarves. Right now I am typing with what is left of my sanity.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:41:43 am by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:45:46 am »

Sorry for the double post.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:19:29 am by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:55:48 am »

Thank you, MetalRocks, you did a great work. Have a cookie and kill a bunch of elves, it shold help you to restore your sanity.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:53:18 am »

Complicated but interesting. In the set of defense calculations for use against blunt weapons the material of the blunt weapon is not used. Only in the set of defense calculations for edge weapons the material matters (shear yield and shear fracture)

If the IMPACT_YIELD of the weapon is very low and the defending layer is dense/heavy, the weapon will deflect off the defending layer material. For example, wood arrows deflect off most metal armors except for adamantine.

Before I did the above linked post on the modding forum, I made this post on the DF mode forum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131527.0
TLDR: There is a bug in 0.34.11 related to weapon weights and momentums (i.e. swing speed) - this could make comparison testing difficult or meaningless unless the bug is patched!

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 01:35:41 pm »

If the IMPACT_YIELD of the weapon is very low and the defending layer is dense/heavy, the weapon will deflect off the defending layer material. For example, wood arrows deflect off most metal armors except for adamantine.

Before I did the above linked post on the modding forum, I made this post on the DF mode forum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131527.0
TLDR: There is a bug in 0.34.11 related to weapon weights and momentums (i.e. swing speed) - this could make comparison testing difficult or meaningless unless the bug is patched!

So:
1.- It is important to have a minimum impact_yield (also impact_fracture?) in the material of the hammer when hitting high weights (dense or big objects). That would make lead a poor choice for war hammers (impact_yield 35). What are the minimum impact_yield/fracture values for hitting an object? is it just impact yield of the weapon against impact fracture of the target?

2.- (With the bug) the weapons with low densities can apply a higher momentum than weapons with high densities when the first decimal value of the weight is high. That would explain why iron war hammers with 4 density (1.6 weight) performed better than iron war hammer with density 5 (2 weight).
But war hammer materials tested dont have low weights with a high decimal value (which would make a real difference, since with the patch the momentum of all the materials will be just nerfed a bit almost evenly for warhammers):
Material density weight of the hammer
Steel7.853.14
Iron7.853.14
Silver10.494.196
Gold19.327.728
Platinum21.48.56

After the patch platinum hammers would get a tiny advantage over gold but with or without the patch gold and platinum war hammers should get a better momentum than iron, steel or silver (which is not showing).
After the patch momentum of war hammers should be:
Platinum>=Gold>Silver>=Steel=Iron
And before the patch (with the bug) momentum of the war hammers should be about the same:
Gold>=Platinum>Silver>=Steel=Iron
The test (with the bug) shows:
Gold>=Platinum=Silver=Steel>=iron

Which means that even after the patch density wouldnt affect much the difference between tested materials because it wont affect much the difference of the momentums between war hammers made of these materials.

BTW thanks for the patch.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:56:48 pm by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »

double post.

One day it will be"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 01:58:38 pm »

I'm a huge fan of blunt weapons.  Thanks for testing this so thoroughly, Metalrocks!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:16:18 pm »

the conclusion from those tests may be misleading. While it may not matter against a dwarf, how heavy he hammer is, you strike him with... how does it go with tougher opponents. Hitting a decent material FB with a simple iron hammer and a silverhammer may have completely different results from the ones posted above

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »

Have updated the original post with tests done after installing the latest Lazy NewB Pack. There is a graph for those too lazy.

the conclusion from those tests may be misleading. While it may not matter against a dwarf, how heavy he hammer is, you strike him with... how does it go with tougher opponents. Hitting a decent material FB with a simple iron hammer and a silverhammer may have completely different results from the ones posted above

There is no hammer that will save you from something like a bronze colossus no matter the material, and I cant test figts against FBs, but the above results show how hammers behave against adamantine (I think that is a decent material) and iron. I have tested hammers vs hydras (size 8,000,000 cm3):

As you can see the results dont differ too much from one hammer to another.

One day it will be"
Pages: [1] 2