Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see more of in this Mod?

More enemies! Not enough things to use all the new guns on!
- 3 (7.3%)
More guns! Never enough daka!
- 9 (22%)
More unique/interesting things.
- 7 (17.1%)
FIX THE HUGE AMOUNT OF BUGS YOU ALREADY HAVE MORON!
- 22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕  (Read 31791 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:43:08 pm »

Dwarf fortress modern is an attempt to keep the style and feel of dwarf fortress and bring it to a modern setting, while adding to the fun! New weapons and vehicles for your military, as well as things like factories for your civilians, this mod attempts to keep some fantasy aspects while making the game much more similar to the modern day. Many more things have been added, just read this forum a little bit to find out what! I am always looking for new suggestions and answering questions, don't hesitate to post!Last version 34

Change log

Civilian
Added oil, which can be processed into petroleum
Added petroleum, which has many uses, from making energy to explosives
Added energy, from burning petroleum, in the form of capacitors. Helps a lot with industry!
Added alternative energy, made at a millstone. Not as strong as petroleum, but can be built without oil.
Added cars, which speed up your dwarves and act as pets.
Added factory, produces furniture and goods
Added arc furnace, makes steel,aluminum, and lead efficiently from energy
Added computer, that trains your dwarves
Added chemistry workshop. Makes soap, as well as preforming other functions involving chemistry, like making kevlar.
Added trucks, that transport more goods
Added clothing for flavor
Added chainsaws and drills
Added corn
Added soda
Added new animals!
   Added Dairy and Farm Cow. Dairy cows produce more milk, while Farm Cows are larger
   Added Farm variants of all "Tame" animals you would expect to eat, from turkeys to sheep. Generally, they produce more (Such as eggs or wool), and have slightly more meat. May or may not eat more then typical, always cost about the same.

Military

Added weapons. Each weapon has its own characteristics, with its own strengths and weaknesses.
   Assault rifles. Ak74, M16, FNC, Ak107,and more
   Sniper rifles- Dragnovs and SG 550s
   Heavy weapons- Hecate Anti-materiel rifles
   Shotguns- Benelli, Saiga, and Striker
   Thief weapons- Combat knife and Makarovs
   Pistols- Beretta, Jericho, aforementioned Makarov, M1911 and more!
   Sub machine guns- Uzi, MP5, P90
   All guns now have Melee attack! "Knife" or "Bayonet"
   And more!
Added tank depot
   Can use tank
   Can use jeep
   Can use CIWS
   Can use machinegun
   Can use helicopter
   Can use F-16
   Can use UVAs
Goblins now have access to vehicals!
Added prisoner workshop. See misc for more.
New enemy and neutral civilizations!
Weapons will now all be made of steel (or wood, or ady.)
Armor will be made of Kevlar (Or ady)
New armors
   Dragon skin- more protection, with a higher chance of not protecting at all!
   Interceptor body armor- powerful but localized protection
   Some armor's names changed.
   All armor now protects a lot more, but has a chance of not blocking anything at all!

Civilizations:
   Tyrannians. The holy democratic people's republic of Tyrannia, which is a communistic state not located in Tyrannia. They are powerful, with tanks and other vehicles in castes, but are not typically hostile.
   Blacklisted. They are always hostile and come in great numbers with some powerful castes who have some interesting moves, basically goblins with fancy gimmicks, more skill, and less vehicals.
   Umbra. Living shadow, almost as weak as normal shadows. Mainly they are meant to show up during the months nobody else is trying to kill you to keep you awake.

MISC

Alley races. Basically they are animals you can turn into dwarves. Can be made in the prisoner workshop for now
  Nekomata, which can be made from cats, if you kill an enemy that drops an item for it
  PMC, which are private military contractors, who can be bought from the humans
  Hyper-intelligent dogs who are a cast of normal dogs. Can be trained to act like a dwarf.
  Converts, who are captured goblins. A lot more dangerous to make.
Two new secrets
   Cultists, who can turn into Avatars of Cathlulu. They can randomly infiltrate your civilization, much like vampires, and randomly explode into giant, tentacled monsters who can face an entire army with ease.
   Alchemists, who can shoot fire and do other moves. Not fully implemented. (Mostly, they just set themselves on fire.)
Two new megabeasts
   Angel. A powerful humanoid with regenerative abilities, she will take a lot of bullets to get down, and more to stay down. You can keep one as a pet if you manage to cage one somehow.
   Juggernaut- A giant tank. Not much more to say about it.
   Brobdingnagian- Giant humans with the power to multiply and regenerate
   Metals moved. You should now be able to find lead, steel, and petroleum in almost any location.
And more!

Plans for future/Bugfix
Test and post Bombolla.
Fixed Computers. Thanks Baffler, again!
Adding .22LR-well, guns that would be .22LR if they where in our world, we all know how my ammunition works. Produces twice as much as other hand guns, fixing your ammunition shortage forever! Great for having your soldiers and cops plink at targets for some experience, and can take down small game, but your going to want to pull out something heavier for the Goblin invasion or Forgotten Beast attack.
Fix M16s not showing up.

Rebalanced all guns AGAIN!! It looks like they keep getting weaker with every new version that comes out  :-\.

Tutorial

This is a major mod, and some things I added could get confusing without help, especially with people new to modding or dwarf fortress itself. So in the spoiler is a list of brief tutorials to get you started easier!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:39:20 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »

Intresting...
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:06:52 pm »

Alright! After playtesting it some more myself, I finally put up the new bugfix.
--------------------------------------

Fixed some buildings color error
Lower Kevlar's Insane value (Done, ready for next version)
Fixed temperature based error on some missiles
Fixed even more spelling/grammar issues.
Changed Car's biome to allow it to show up much easier
Lowered chance of traders bringing items that explode randomly
Fixed corn problem, it will now show up in most biomes.
Other bugs/Suggestions, please post!

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »

I had a flying assassin. Is this normal?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:40:45 pm »

I had a flying assassin. Is this normal?

Yep. Assassins are able to fly, so they can get over walls. I thought it would be more interesting to have them appear suddenly in the middle of your fortress, like you would expect an assassin to do. As a side note, pirates can swim, so be careful when building your walls.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »

A little note:
I have a little time off due to winter break now, and am back to playing with/working on this mod.

One thing I have noticed is an apparent difficulty to get your dwarves in their uniform, especially with Dragonskin. I think it is because of the large scale the armor covers. Ordering dwarves to "Replace Clothing" under equipment seems to fix this.

I think I somehow messed up Arc Furnace again, I think I will just use the same sprite as another building next patch.

If anyone else has any problems they found, please share! If you have any of your own ideas, I would love to hear them.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:24:04 pm »

New update for the new year! It has only gone under minimal testing, if I messed anything up please post!
New features:
Fix Arc Furnace for real this time!
Fix glitch in Female Hyper-intellegent dogs transformation.
Fix Goblins not having vehicals glitch
Add more weapons
   New Aks-RIP Kalashnikov
     You will be able to build AK-47s using wood and steel, cheaper then M-16s
   Revolver-type pistols. These will have a lower rate of fire, but do more damage. Still can't pierce armor.
   Fix explosives a little. Sorry, they are really hard to test properly.
     .....Explosives are hard to get right.
   Instead of explosives, I present you with the Hecate anti material rifle! Basically it is what the armbrust is supposed to be, but uses bullets instead of explosives. It is slower then the sniper rifle, more expensive too, but it eats tanks like Bigmacs. It still needs more balancing, but at the moment a squad armed with Hecate (That is, ten dwarves) is even able to beat Angels and Avatars of Cthulu at long ranges, but a squad of SG snipers owns them.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:20 am »

So the few votes we managed to get on the last pole seemed to suggest you want me to "FIX YOUR DUMB MISTAKES YOU IDIOT!!1!" and make a new civilization, two things I knew would be pretty popular. I am still adding new features as I think of them, most are small and easy to make.
-To fix my own stupid typos, horrible scripting, spelling, and other assorted mistakes, I need your help! Please post any glitches, errors, or broken objects on this forum. I try my best to find them all, but the only way I can test them is by trying everything in fortress mode, which ends up taking hours.
-For the civilization, I have several ides for new civilizations, but none are really fleshed out, and I need feed back to see exactly what kind of civilization you even want.
  - The Eos, named after the Greek god of Dawn. This would be a general "Eastern" civilization, using weaponry and cultural bases from China, Japan, Korea, and other countries in that general area. It would contrast with the general "Western" theme I have been giving the dwarves. They could work in both hostile and allied positions.
   -Frawd, or the opposite of dwarves. Tall, clean shaven humanoids who live high in skyscrapers, trees, and other high places. They have an affinity for flying, and go to war and trade with high tech airplanes, helicopters, flying animals, and other such things
If you have a cool idea for a civilization, post it!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:12:54 am by Stirk »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 10:14:16 pm »

I suggest either an Underground civ that is hard and comes very late game (progress trigger 5?). I don't know if SIEGER works for underground civs but AMBUSHER works, and works in a very dangerous manner. by that I mean there can be 100's of units in ambush in the caves.

Could call them some kind of secret society or movement.

Either that or a very armored hard civ that only uses ranged weapons (so all ambushes sieges have ranged weapons) with natural skills with their choosen weapon and ranged_combat. also with a larger VIEWRANGE so they choose to shoot farther would probably lead to them missing more but idk. Also their range weapon doubles as an aggressive melee weapon too (chainsaw rifle anyone?) their weapons cannot be made by any means so if you want them you have to beat them. Ammo can be made but that's about it. also they have to be large enough so your people can't wear their OP armor (or make them naturally armored)

I have yet to try this mod, but it has had my eye for a good time now.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 12:15:36 am »

I suggest either an Underground civ that is hard and comes very late game (progress trigger 5?). I don't know if SIEGER works for underground civs but AMBUSHER works, and works in a very dangerous manner. by that I mean there can be 100's of units in ambush in the caves.

Good idea, that would certainly keep you awake at the keyboard. I would have to look a bit more into how exactly underground civs work, I know Narhiril had something like that. Do they still send caravans and stuff? Do they only appear on certain levels? A lot of questions that could make for a unique civilization.

ranged weapons (so all ambushes sieges have ranged weapons)

To be honest, almost all melee weapons have been phased out by this mod. Instead, there are a variety of ranged weapons, different firearms performing the tactical roles of the melee weapons. The only time you really see melee combat is with tanks, which are tough enough to take several shots, thieves who still bring knives, and incredibly tough and armored megabeasts like the Angel and Avatar of Cthulhu. You could technically order your dwarves to do it with chainsaws or adamantine weaponary, but the ranged advantage of guns makes that really difficult.

An underground race with natural armor and fiction based weaponry would be interesting, especially if I can get them to mass. I think the idea would work best if they weren't humanoid, maybe something based on aliens but underground? Or...Molemen!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:35:57 am by Stirk »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:10 am »

Good idea, that would certainly keep you awake at the keyboard. I would have to look a bit more into how exactly underground civs work, I know Narhiril had something like that. Do they still send caravans and stuff? Do they only appear on certain levels? A lot of questions that could make for a unique civilization.

An underground race with natural armor and fiction based weaponry would be interesting, especially if I can get them to mass. I think the idea would work best if they weren't humanoid, maybe something based on aliens but underground? Or...Molemen!

From my experience with underground civs, I have never made a friendly one but im quite sure from what I heard there are no caravans (because caves only count as a trader exit, only the surface+outside counts as a trader spawnpoint, can give it a shot tho if you want) Anyways I've noticed that all my ambushing cave civs worked fine, too fine. So many units wait in ambush (as I said 100's not a joke)

as for something more alien you might aswell give them a gun arm and interactions to "shoot" so when their primary(secondary?) ranged weapon is out of bullets and ready to be used like a seriously scarey baseball bat/machete while still pumping out the alien bullets that never end (unless that weapon limb is lost)

but that's my suggestion :P

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:30 am »

as for something more alien you might aswell give them a gun arm and interactions to "shoot" so when their primary(secondary?) ranged weapon is out of bullets and ready to be used like a seriously scarey baseball bat/machete while still pumping out the alien bullets that never end (unless that weapon limb is lost)

but that's my suggestion :P

That would be pretty cool to, I still have a bunch of interaction attacks from the tanks/jeeps/helicopters and pretty much all other vehicals. If I give them fictional, rare, and cinematic weapons, that might mean an army of aliens with KS-23 shotguns, desert eagles, other powerhouse guns and a machine gun arm in case that failed to kill every dwarf who ever set foot on the soon to be dead fortress. Add napalm breath and maybe some kind of spores, and you have an impressive fight...

Though right now it looks like the poles want a "Weak" civ to fight between other battles, and I am kind of inclined to agree. Every time I play tested the mod myself, there are long periods of "....Nothing is happening.....*Yawn*" that I would like to remove, and I think an army of !!FUN!! would be a little to intense for that, I will have to put it on my "Long term goals list".

If you do start playing my mod, please give feedback! I get a decent amount of views/downloads, but nobody ever seems to post. Your the first who posted in months. I can get a little feedback from the poles, but other then that I have to find all the bugs/glitches/spelling errors/horrible scripting/boring parts/other problems myself, which is quite a daunting task.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:39 pm »

Well me being a long term modder will probably nit pick the f**k out of the mod, and I might have time to give it a shot now. Let me just download it.

And by nit pick I mean
bugs/glitches/spelling errors/horrible scripting/boring parts/other problems

EDIT:

did I get the wrong copy?

I got it from here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7049

Quite a few of these I can probably fix and get it to work, crashed on year 2 of world gen so something is majorly busted.

Edit2:
wait tried again, got a world to gen.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:30:41 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:33:46 pm »

did I get the wrong copy?

Nope. I told you I had a tone of bugs/glitches/spelling errors/horrible scripting/boring parts/other problems. To be honest, my mod "Style" is just messing with things until they kinda work. My error list is longer than my actual mod. It is kind of like throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks, and then just leaving anything that doesn't work in.

But I never have had it crash before, anyone else have this problem?

Most of the reason the error code is so long is that I had no clue how to make creatures when I started modding. Then I made copies of those creatures for all my other creatures. Since tanks where one of the first things, I tried making things work one way and they ended up another. The end product worked fine, so I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. "What? 4lungs isn't a real thing? Now that I think about it, it works better without any. It looks like I messed up on this factory script, the product has no material. That is just a product of mass production, in the end you can't tell what it is made out of! Besides, it makes them less valuable then hand-crafted stuff, which is kind of cool . Leave it in."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:01:03 pm by Stirk »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:01 pm »

Here are some fixes:

That's my nitpicking for now.

EDIT:
someone distracted me, so I lost all time to try it tonight. I will try for tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:39:41 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8