Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see more of in this Mod?

More enemies! Not enough things to use all the new guns on!
- 3 (7.3%)
More guns! Never enough daka!
- 9 (22%)
More unique/interesting things.
- 7 (17.1%)
FIX THE HUGE AMOUNT OF BUGS YOU ALREADY HAVE MORON!
- 22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕  (Read 31872 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:57:43 pm »

inorganic_metal.txt---INORGANIC:CRIDE---[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:150END:5000000] missing a ":" between '150END'

Ah, Typos, my worst enemy...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I just put a bunch of other layers to make up for it. Ill take it out in my next cleaning with all the other fixes you are suggesting.

building_custom.txt---BUILDING_WORKSHOP:GUN---WEAPONSMITH use FORGE_WEAPON

GUN isn't a real workshop, I put the real gunsmith shop in the Soapmaker's workshop. I could probably just delete the whole thing.

b_detail_plan_default.txt---BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:ANGEL_MATERIALS---ANGEL_MATERIALS:Unrecognized Body Detail Plan Token: ADD_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE Use find&replace to replace ADD_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE to ADD_MATERIAL

creature_angle.txt(you mean angel)---First two errors PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC is things like AGILITY, STRENGTH, RECUPERATION

I started coding with Angle, and the name really didn't effect much, so I left it there. I had no clue what I was doing. Now I have almost half a clue, maybe 3/7th a clue.

---ANGEL:Unrecognized Creature Token: NOBREATH NOBREATHE

So we meat again, doctor Typo....

---Body detail plan not found:CHASSIS I couldn't locate CHASSIS as any BDP should make this.
---rest of the errors just bad use of the material and tissue tokens, might want to redo ANGELs at least on the materials and tissues
All the rest of the creature errors are similar to that AAMISSLE and ANGEL so figure out those, you got the rest

I should probably just purge some of the useless things. I had no clue what I was doing, and when I finally got it right I pretty much decided not to mess with anything, since it is completely broken.

---Reaction problems, just find and replace with caps sensitive all None to NONE, a few errors are about material A might just want to look those reactions over
---Interaction, probably just got something jumbled up.

Well the reaction problems are a little more then that, most end up giving unknown material in the end of the reaction. I like how it turned out, so I don't mess with it.

To be honest, I never use the error folder, mostly because I filled it to the brim. You're probably the first person to look through it. I should probably put everything I write through a word-editing software to get out my spelling typos whenever I get the chance, my last purge missed a lot, while I am fixing all these errors. The next version is a long way off for when I get more time to work on it, so for now everyone will have to suffer through it.

item_ammo.txt---ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ROCKET remove the BOILING_POINT there is a thread in the modding forum that has exploding ammo search I think "doomium"

I just gave up on explosives a few versions ago, and decided just to use large caliber weaponry. I could never test them right, it took to long in fortress mode and the arena was to hot. I never found a way to make it work, and everyone else's explosives seem to use DF hack. I am already a hack scripter, but not like that. I can scarcely work with these codes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:02:40 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

Well instead of trying to fix the errors I'll just play it as is, and see how badly I get rolled.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:05:09 pm »

....Any feedback yet? Ive been kind of worried that you had an "Unfortunate accident" or something.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:00:24 pm »

As for feedback, I haven't really got into any of the new features. Got attacked by some blacklisted and kobold theives in which my dwarves managed to kill a kobold and we looted a steel combat knife (worded as combat steel knife, i'd just drop the adj combat into the name) and a hunter came with a steel FNC (no idea what type of gun that is)

I'm not quite sure what new workshops I should make, so far I found alot of lead ore and coal. Oh looks like some theives runined my embark, wounded over half of my population.

Trucks are very aggressive lol and still going just sealing myself in and tending the wounded. The truck killed a thief, knife vs truck, truck wins. So since I know there are quite some issues with the reactions idk if I want to try the new buildings just in case I end up just spamming null material items.

Any tips on how to get some sort of weapon industry started so I don't die later on?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »

As for feedback, I haven't really got into any of the new features. Got attacked by some blacklisted and kobold theives in which my dwarves managed to kill a kobold and we looted a steel combat knife (worded as combat steel knife, i'd just drop the adj combat into the name) and a hunter came with a steel FNC (no idea what type of gun that is)

An FN FNC, an assault rifle based off the AK with western designs. It is mostly used by the Belgians.

I could probably do better with the name, Ill have to fix that for next version.

Trucks are very aggressive lol and still going just sealing myself in and tending the wounded. The truck killed a thief, knife vs truck, truck wins. So since I know there are quite some issues with the reactions idk if I want to try the new buildings just in case I end up just spamming null material items.

Most buildings work just fine, the only thing that puts out null materiel is the Factory. That whole "Truck wins" thing is one of the reasons melee became obsolete, can't beat up tanks and helicopters with a sword. If you see an interesting building, go for it.

Any tips on how to get some sort of weapon industry started so I don't die later on?

Gunsmith shop, if you have decent resources you should be able to pump out enough weapons for a squad before any serious attack. Importing and stealing weapons isn't optimal, for the same reasons as real life (Well, before NATO and other standards. But gameplay/realism), you can't produce bullets for certain kinds of guns very well. So that is where you will get most of your weapons.

If you have an oil industry up, mining it processing it and burning it for energy, and a ton of extra resources, you can also set up a Tank Depot, where you can temporarily transform a dwarf to a vehicle (Tank, Helicopter, Jeep, Ect). If you do this, make sure they are part of a squad before hand. They will stay in a squad if they transform, but they can't be added into one again until it goes away.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:27:24 pm by Stirk »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »

Got some guns made, not enough for everyone, but all the lead will make lots of ammo. should dig deeper for better metal. I have to say i'm enjoying this mod so far.

Just got another thief so I ordered his death, it wasn't very quick considering:

The Stray Truck grabs The Kobold Thief by the right lower arm with her right front wheel!
The Stray Truck locks The Kobold Thief's right elbow with The Stray Truck's right front wheel!
The Stray Truck bends The Kobold Thief's right lower arm with The Stray Truck's right front wheel, shattering the right elbow's bone!
A ligament in the right elbow has been torn and a tendon has been torn!

talk about getting run over.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »

That reminds me, you might want to think about getting some armor, too. Kevlar is made from petroleum (Made from crude oil in the oil processing workshop) in the chemistry shop, and after you get the material the armor can be built in the metal smith's shop just as normal.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »

Was killed off by not enough weapons and training and a very large tantrum spiral. There needs to be more divesity like more grudges no more friends. Oh well.

I'm almost inspired to take up my sci-fi mod again (its mainly based around guns too) and would like to see the newer versions of this mod. keep it posted.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:58 pm »

There needs to be more divesity like more grudges no more friends

...Not much I can do about that, I am afraid.

Was killed off by not enough weapons and training and a very large tantrum spiral.

I always seem to have the opposite problem. I always seem to use up all my ammunition during peacetime....
If you decide to play again, you may want to try out the oil path. It opens up a lot of new buildings and items, based mostly around energy. The Arc furnace, which turns iron ore to several bars of steel, helps out a lot with this to the point it might be a balancing problem. Don't need anything other then fuel, electricity, and the iron, at least. That would probably help you make some more weapons.

I'm almost inspired to take up my sci-fi mod again (its mainly based around guns too) and would like to see the newer versions of this mod. keep it posted.

That is good to hear. I am probably not going to have another version up for a little while, I hope to fix a bunch of the spelling/grammar/all the other issues and the ones you pointed out. I also hope to add another race, as I suspected there is a lot of support for a "Weak race" that I think would add a lot to this mod. I don't have much time or enough effort right now, the next version could be months away.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »

after I work on my mod here and there and get back into the DF play style I'll get on this mod again, and if it's updated by then, bonus.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 09:29:15 pm »

I might be able to get the next version up sooner then anticipated, I already have most of the promised materials up (Arc furnace is still broken....). I do hope to get a start on the new race and am about to test the "Alternative Energies" to see if I can produce energy without oil. I also want to get the new race up, both my current ideas don't work well for a weak assault race.

Current other race ideas-
The Umbra. Living shadow, that attacks your dwarves for unknown reasons. Capable of lifting and possessing small objects, such as handguns and teddy bears, they will arrive to either attack your dwarves, capture children for an unknown but horrible purpose, and steal items to add to their bizarre collection. The shadows are typically humanoid, though other, more bizarre shapes have been seen. Though they may sound horrid, both their physical bodies and moral are weak. A few shots at the black mass they consider a body or the object they are possessing will cause a strange scream and the shadow to dissipate in a cloud of dust, often causing the others to flee in what appears to be fear.

Side note/Trivia: The next update will be .22, which happens to be a popular plinking caliber. First update to share a number with a bullet! After that will be update .223, just to keep the theme going, then going back to normal numbering.

*Update*

Yep, Alternative energies are up and running! You can now connect a millstone to have a 10% chance of producing a capacitor per millstone. This may not sound like much, but you must remember a single water wheel produces enough energy for 9 millstones, and a single windmill produces enough for 4. If you are going to use the full potential, and have the manpower, you will be producing a ton of em. Oil is still going to get you a lot more faster, but now you don't have to dig for it.

I should be able to even more with electricity in the future, and I will still have to balance this a bit more, hopefully with help from your feedback. For now, this will be in the next version, which will release as soon as I make the new civ.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:43:04 pm by Stirk »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »

How do these alternative energies work? is it an automatic reaction in millstones? that makes power from roughly nothing, or does a material need to be placed in the millstone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:49 pm »

How do these alternative energies work? is it an automatic reaction in millstones? that makes power from roughly nothing, or does a material need to be placed in the millstone.

It works like milling works, simply. Basically it is a reaction called "Convert energy to capacitors" that is set at a millstone. It doesn't (currently) require any items, but it does take up some of your dwarve's time. Every few seconds, your dwarf will do the reaction, which means sitting there and doing the work. So power from nothing but time and the electricity.

I tested it out to see that it works, but have not balanced it yet. If I do add an item, it will probably just be to make the reaction take more time.

Some things I noticed that I may want to fix later, but aren't going to do so in the next update:
-Trained Hyper-intellegent dogs that act exactly like dwarves can only eat meat. I noticed this when my woodcutter decided that plump helmets are no good and went to hunting vermin.
-You can make wooden/bone bullets in the craftdwarve's workshop. No clue how I could even fix this. I guess that is a cheap way to train your men, if not altogether realistic.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:29:21 am by Stirk »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »

Alright, new version up for the weakened!

Lowered Megabeast's export requirements, so you will actually be able to see them.
Added some "Modern" words to the language file for flavor.
......Fix Arc Furnace graphics for REALLY real this time!
Add factory-produced metal "quivers", to make it much easier to have everyone have a quiver.
Prototype "Alternative Energies", using a millstone to transform energy directly into capacitors!
Fixed PKM ammo issue.
Added Umbra race (Named after the Latin word for shadow). Living shadow, the weak enemy that is supposed to show up when nobody else does to help solve your boredom. They may sound powerful, but are delicate, being living shadow, and flee easily. They current have several cast, the Umbar (The shadow itself), and the shadowless (Flesh and blood humans with oddly colored eyes. Had to add them, the game doesn't seem to like Umbar breeding themselves and keeps shutting down. I think they are pretty cool, anyway...). More balancing will still need to be done. Currently, the "shadow" material they are made out of is really weak, but sometimes bullets just pass through without doing damage. When they hit, however, even a solid punch is enough to send body parts flying. I hope to add other castes as well, such as "Dragon shadows (Working on the name)" that are like a dragon....made of shadow, and the "Possessed items" (Really haven't thought of the names yet...) that would be possessed items, leaving behind random junk like silk socks and teddy bears.

This version underwent limited testing (Mostly thanks to a power outage letting me stay home). The arc furnace is finally fixed! YEAH! WOOOHOOOH! I weakened the alternative energies and think I might have nerfed them too much. They will still provide capacitors, but you will have to invest a decent amount of manpower to the industry if you want to see any major results. The umbra are up-probably. I gave them a decent Stealth boost making them great thieves. I think four poor children vanished into the shadows with nobody noticing, but the ones we did see where as weak as I expected. As always, please leave feedback!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »

A fix for your ammo issue, but with a downside:

Fix: Ammo is not allowed by your civ, can only be made through reactions
Downside: hunters and invaders(of your civ) will not have ammo if they bring a gun.(but then again if no ammo they may never train the ranged skills, so melee only)

So can play with that idea, It's something that I'm going to do for my Sci-Fi Mod only you have 2 factions to play.

Pre-Edit:
And I will have to grab this update soon and try it out. I was also thinking, can you make refined booze that for a few seconds adds NOEMOTION to a creature? That way if there is a horrible horrible fight and everyone is depressed, they can drink their sadness away. If you like I can make the syndrome for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8