Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see more of in this Mod?

More enemies! Not enough things to use all the new guns on!
- 3 (7.3%)
More guns! Never enough daka!
- 9 (22%)
More unique/interesting things.
- 7 (17.1%)
FIX THE HUGE AMOUNT OF BUGS YOU ALREADY HAVE MORON!
- 22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕  (Read 31871 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern!
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 07:43:13 pm »

A fix for your ammo issue, but with a downside:

Fix: Ammo is not allowed by your civ, can only be made through reactions
Downside: hunters and invaders(of your civ) will not have ammo if they bring a gun.(but then again if no ammo they may never train the ranged skills, so melee only)

I thought up that fix too, but pretty much decided just to ignore it. I mean, lead is cheap and plentiful in this mod, and is significantly more dense. It is arguable easier for a fully made fort to make lead anyway, and you get more lead bullets then you would get bone,or wood. If someone is dead set on doing it anyway, it isn't like I am going to go out of my way to stop them.

So can play with that idea, It's something that I'm going to do for my Sci-Fi Mod only you have 2 factions to play.

That does sound interesting, and I would like to try out your mod as well, if I can find the time and the fervor for dwarf fortress (I barley get to play my own mod, and I still have a looooot of bug fixing.)

And I will have to grab this update soon and try it out. I was also thinking, can you make refined booze that for a few seconds adds NOEMOTION to a creature? That way if there is a horrible horrible fight and everyone is depressed, they can drink their sadness away. If you like I can make the syndrome for you.

Interesting idea, but that is too easy! I think we would all miss the tantrum spirals. Besides, I already have ways you can make brand new dwarves from hiring PMCs (...Who never seem to show up. I should probably just make them Common Domestic already.), training hyper intelligent dogs, magically transforming cats (If you are lucky enough to find the monster who never seems to show up), or converting captive goblins (Not. An. Easy. Feat.). If I add this as well, you'd never be able to lose. And, of course, losing is fun.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40:37 pm »

Right now I'm just modifying an old RTS mod of mine for the Sci-Fi so right not it's more of rename everything and line it up, then add. And I know what you mean about not being able to play your mod, haha I almost had no time to play
Spoiler: my Mod (click to show/hide)
but taking a break from any major mods until the new DF comes out, and plus the smaller mods help me "improve" my skills and let me try out new techniques as well.

As for the ammo that does work too, wonder if bone and wood can get nerf'd so those bullets are only desirable for training?

and the booze suggestion I still like it haha and a tantrum spiral could still happen if someone has alot of crap to deal with (miasma, dead pet, dead friend rotting, etc) he could still lose his cool if he sobers up (the no emotion would last all of a day just to put him into content, but I see your point)

Sounds like the converting of gobbos would require DFhack? idk, I never attempted to try that with normal DF rules (I'm quite against DFHack even tho it gives alot of fixes, the temptation to cheat is too much.) Not sure how you going to do the cat thing either haha It's possible I know. Done alot of research there.

EDIT:
also voted for fixing bugs. From experience it's better to perfect and fix what you have, before you add more. Or else you just get a mess of bugs everywhere or oddies. Slow down a min and enjoy your mod, play it for a bit, and as you play take notes on what to fix, nerf, buff, change.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:52:03 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »

but taking a break from any major mods until the new DF comes out, and plus the smaller mods help me "improve" my skills and let me try out new techniques as well.

I am pretty much just modding whenever I play, fixing the problems I see. I only play when I have the extra time and desire to play, I am pretty sure if the new version comes out any time soon it will completely roll over my mod. I barely know how mod this version, if there are any major changes Ill just have to patch them up the best I can. Which is pretty badly.

As for the ammo that does work too, wonder if bone and wood can get nerf'd so those bullets are only desirable for training?

I could try lowering the mass, but that would raise the firing rate making them too good at training, probably. Ill probably just leave it as is for now, if it ends up being a major problem Ill think of something later. Procrastination FTW!

Sounds like the converting of gobbos would require DFhack? idk, I never attempted to try that with normal DF rules (I'm quite against DFHack even tho it gives alot of fixes, the temptation to cheat is too much.) Not sure how you going to do the cat thing either haha It's possible I know. Done alot of research there.

Nope, converting goblins is basically a transformation that turns them into a dwarf. I know it works in arena mode, but can never get it to work in fortress. Mostly because you have to use a workshop with the goblin nearby to actually make contact with the gas. Most workers get freaked out and run when you put an uncaged goblin next to them, making this difficult to actually pull off.

I know the cats and dogs transformation works, I have done the dog one several times in actual games. It is weird, they turn into dwarves but keep the (Tame), along with a bunch of weird stuff. At the very least they are able to do workshop tasks or just move stuff around, and they should be able to join the military (Might need to become somebodies pet or kill a bunch of things first, not exactly sure how it works to be honest. Like I said, it is weird.)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 09:21:59 pm »

I was looking over the Development notes for the future, and it turns out there is a lot for adventure mode in the next release. I decided I should probably work on my own adventure mode, as well!

Of course I will work on the mistakes I already made, and am doing that right now. Ill probably fix the no-material thing, though I am sure we will all be sad to see it go, along with a bunch of other glitches. Tell me if you see any.

Currently, adventure mode is kind of a mixed bag just because of all the stuff I already put in for Civ mode. If you try going at it like a normal adventurer, you will get shot and killed. No if. Bandit snipers can see a lot farther then you can. Many a Grandmaster Marksmen have been ended by SG bullets to the head. Personally I have had success with sneaking around, since you don't get shot if you don't get noticed, but that is hardly a feature.

One of the more interesting things in this adventure mode is the ability to play as some of the other races. Since Tyrannians are open, you can have a tank, helicopter, or other vehicle adventurer. I tried it myself, and it is great. You can't open doors though, so recruiting someone who can is probably a good idea. It is nice to just be able to fly over rivers. You can also play as a Blacklisted, but will probably be shot by your own guys.

The real problem of doing stuff in adventure mode is that I have no idea what I should do with it. Any suggestions would be great!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:54 am »

special pants that are called "Leggings with supply pouch" that in adv. Mode you can take these "pants" off of people you kill to loot random items (Regenerative boosters (regen boosters), energy boosters, Ammo, Food) so when you adv around and manage to stealth kill or shoot a bunch of guys you can loot the bodies for the ones that have supply pouches for extra ammo or whatever goodies it may bring you.

Maybe even think about minor upgrade items that you can consume (like regen and energy boosters) that give you slight bonus interactions (Smoke bomb, hides you and creates a smoke screen for effect 1 use a day.
Scuba gear, once every 2-3 days can get NOBEATHE so you can swim or survive long enough underwater for a few hours.
Gernade, fireball ability that can be used 3-5 days)

and these consumable items are very rare to find from pouches since they can give you these abilities permanently EDIT: or have expire dates/1 day to use it once (interaction wait time longer than syndrome effect time (END)). This might let long going adventurers have something to look foward too. Also construction of body armor (Helm, Chest, Legs, Boots) from recycled materials (take old armor off of enemies, and maybe some metal to make reinforced kevlar/flak/spectra)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:01:50 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 12:00:16 pm »

special pants that are called "Leggings with supply pouch" that in adv. Mode you can take these "pants" off of people you kill to loot random items (Regenerative boosters (regen boosters), energy boosters, Ammo, Food) so when you adv around and manage to stealth kill or shoot a bunch of guys you can loot the bodies for the ones that have supply pouches for extra ammo or whatever goodies it may bring you.

That's a great idea! I could probably make an ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED reaction that transforms these pants into other items, with a good chance of getting ammunition and maybe one of the other items. "Loot Leggings" or something, making it randomized and so the bandits don't use up the items before you do. It would be nice if I could think of a way to have this only apply to bandits and other criminals, so that random adventurers don't go around stealing people's pants for grenades...

Maybe even think about minor upgrade items that you can consume (like regen and energy boosters) that give you slight bonus interactions (Smoke bomb, hides you and creates a smoke screen for effect 1 use a day.
Scuba gear, once every 2-3 days can get NOBEATHE so you can swim or survive long enough underwater for a few hours.
Gernade, fireball ability that can be used 3-5 days)

All interesting ideas, I could *probably* try the night vision goggles or at least binoculars as well, which was an idea on the last forum. Though the timings would probably be off, from what I have experienced with adventure mode reactions up to this point travel mode seems to reset everything. Maybe a 1% chance to find each of them per looting? Then just consume the item to get the ability, probably should work.

Also construction of body armor (Helm, Chest, Legs, Boots) from recycled materials (take old armor off of enemies, and maybe some metal to make reinforced kevlar/flak/spectra)

Probably could be done, I would probably have to add more armor to make it worthwhile though. I was thinking about a SWAT style uniform with good protection against small arms, protecting almost everything, but almost no protection against rifles, and Interceptor body armor with localized protection against all arms but not covering as much as the Dragon Skin. I would probably have to save this for last.

In any case, right now I am still fixing up the old glitches, trying to make sure everything appears like they are supposed to, and making sure everything works right with testing. This is probably going to take a while, I probably can't make any of this stuff by next version.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 04:35:12 pm »

Ammo Factory: A workshop that uses a reusable "blueprint" item imported from other countries that allows you to make bullets for imported guns. May also make ammo for "cinematic" weapons if I can find a better way to implement them.

Factories will now only use steel. If you have the capacitors to use the factory in the first place, you should be absolutely swimming in steel anyway. Only way I could think of to solve the "No material" error.

Construction workshops will now produce low-value "concrete" or "plywood" material blocks, to keep the effect while removing the no material error.

=======

All right, some good bugfixes and a way for you to make imported/goblinite/hunter brought ammo, allowing you to actually use those weapons. I tested the bugfixes, which seem to work fine, but the Ammo factory has undergone little bugfixing. If you see any errors, or see any ideas, as always please tell me!

For now, it looks like public opinion is mostly focused on Fortress mode like I have been already. Luckily I haven't started on any adventure mode stuff, but it is a pity anyway. Hugo had some interesting ideas I would like to put into practice, but if not enough people want it I will probably just work on Fortress mode instead.

Enjoy version .223! It is named after a popular rifle round, .223 Remington.
Random bullet trivia time!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

**EDIT**

Almost forgot *Headsmack*! I gave the Benelli a little buff, making it damage a lot more then it did before. I wasn't impressed with people getting back up with minor bruises after getting hit with a shotgun to the stomach, and tried to fix that to some success.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:09:44 pm by Stirk »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 03:28:10 pm »

I made a mod using guns from this mod, mind if I post it?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »

I made a mod using guns from this mod, mind if I post it?

Go ahead, feel free to use whatever you want.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 12:48:39 am »

Thanks.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 08:51:04 pm »

Not much an update, but a question to go with the new pole. I have been working on a new mode (MechFortress, in case you're wondering. Its going well), and as such have been doing a lot of work with vehicle-like objects. Right now, I am not very satisfied with the current vehicle pattern.

I could change it to what I have in Mechfortress. That is, they would actually be dwarves instead of different animals. This means you can control them completely, as part of a military. It also means they will do other jobs as well, and every once and a while you will get one that would just be that caste naturally.

Well, what do you guys think?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:31 pm »

Guess it would be kinda cool to send a dwarf into a factory with a bunch of metal and barrels of oil, to turn into a tank (with mushy dwarf inside) then you can have a Tank Company to go with your Infantry some units could be made for hauling or just catching fleeing enemies or something. Like a Jeep unit, has one free grasp (one hand on the wheel/shifter) gets a boost to STR and Speed so can carry heavy loads around faster and easier, as well as getting somewhere quick. Could see wounded units getting picked up by jeeps and dropped off at the hospital.

For the jeep it could also hold a gun so drive by shooting.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:02:33 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 09:17:00 pm »

I have already got the transformations (The Vehicles: Tank, Jeep, Helicopter, Bomber (Not for dwarves. Too destructive), and F-16s), but they are currently different animals. (Why do I have a jeep anyway? I think we stopped using those, but I am not much a vehical guy *Shrug*). So you could have a squad of tanks, but they are pretty hard to control. Doing this would make them easy to control, but bring other problems (like having a tank tantrum on you, and being able to randomly be born a Tank). I am just wondering if I should leave it as is or change it to the dwarf-tanks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 10:01:24 pm »

make the normal dwarves a POP_RATIO:50000 and the vechicle castes POP_RATIO:1

since there are a male and female castes that's 100,000. so seeing a TANK:1 a JEEP/Humvee:1 a HELI:1 is gonna be extreamly rare, you *might* see one get born in worldgen if you're lucky but come on that's a 1:100,000 chance to be born a tank lol

EDIT:
Spoiler-ed a part of my last post.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:02:58 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 04:18:05 pm »

Im pretty sure we are the only two people who read any of the posts here anyway. It's not like you're getting much advertising from it.

Well I have something like that for the already existing "Uplifted" races, though I set POP to 0 for the ones I don't want to show up and didn't touch the main ones. Not sure how well that works.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8