Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see more of in this Mod?

More enemies! Not enough things to use all the new guns on!
- 3 (7.3%)
More guns! Never enough daka!
- 9 (22%)
More unique/interesting things.
- 7 (17.1%)
FIX THE HUGE AMOUNT OF BUGS YOU ALREADY HAVE MORON!
- 22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕  (Read 31894 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern!
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »

POP_RATIO:0 just defaults to the normal 5000? I know you just want "1" as it's the possible lowest number you can use.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 08:24:50 pm »

Really? They don't seem to show up nearly as much. Ill change it, I guess.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »

Easter weakened, leaving me some time to work on the mod again! I have made a few minor fixes already (namely the car thing), and hope to add the new weapons/armors once I get them made and properly tested.

I have been thinking for a while that I should redo the positions, to fit the western nations theme of the games. This might include such things as making the "Monarch" a "President" who is actually elected, with still appointing things under it. Maybe renaming some of the militia things as well. I am not sure what effect on the game this would actually have, but it should at least add some flavor. A the very least, it might just be a rename of each position. What do you guys think?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:59 am »

Most people right now seem supportive of changing it, so I am working on it a little bit. Here is a list of what I have decided on so far, though I am probably going to change a lot later.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then there are some that I want to change, but have no clue what I would change them to:

And the rest I would probably keep. I might work on the other nations next, though that would pretty much be an afterthought.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .223 ❧
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »

I have done a lot with it, and just need some more testing before we are ready for version .23.

The biggest problem I have had with the new positions is that making the elected instead of appointed means they come up sooner. I think I will just leave the normal positions for the next version, maybe messing with the entity in a later version.

The armor over went MAJOR overhauls in the last batch. I gave it more protection, you can now block pistol bullets with armor like you where originally supposed to. The armor also got a little bit of a nerf to balance it out, Breastplates will only block 90% of the time and Bulletproof vests (Mail) will block 80% (From memory, might be off.) Interceptor and riot armor work pretty well too, though I might have made interceptor armor too strong.

Well, back to testing.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .23 ❧
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 11:35:27 am »

New version is out~! I was a bit busier with school then I had expected, so I didn't get the testing I needed for such a large overhaul. If you see any balancing issues like sniper bullets bouncing off pistol-quality armor, please report them so I can balance everything better for the next round.

I already had a Lead ark furnace reaction made, so I ended up just implementing it. My brain is as scattered as bird shot.

The new positions have not been implemented, but I kept the name changes. Some positions still have not been renamed, I am still thinking of what to call them (Suggestions very welcome!)

I really think the biggest change this round is the new, balanced armor system. Everything both got buffed and nerfed. Pistol-caliber bullets will now be blocked or weakened against most armor, and two armors (Dragonskin and Interceptor body armor) can shrug off rifle rounds. But now everything has a chance of not blocking anything at all, including breastplates and bulletproof vests (chain-mail didn't sound right). This raises survivability significantly, as well as giving you reason to use bigger guns. Before, pistols where one of the strongest weapons just because of their speed, now you have a real advantage with slower-firing weapons like a Sniper rifle that can bust through the toughest armor. Thankfully, you can now use Ark lead, meaning you should have a lot more bullets around!

As always, if you see a bug or have your own suggestion or ideas for this mod, please post it here!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »

I have added a boring, repetitive, monotonous, and poorly written tutorial to help out anyone having difficulty with the new features of this mod. I got the idea for this a while ago when Hugo was having some difficulties playing. I hope I covered everything that needs to be covered well enough for new players to not get too confused.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2014, 05:59:29 pm »

Well summer here, and you know what that means! I work long hours in the sun with no time to work on the mod!...But it is great for ideas, which I can work on when I have the time.

One such idea is the Bombola, that I thought up as soon as I learned [MAXAGE] Was a cast token. Bombolas (Italian for "Doll") are children who have been implanted with cybernetics and brainwashed to fight. Maybe magically. This changes the [CHILD] to 0 as well, meaning they can actively join squads and act as adults. However, the cybernetics are unstable, they will never live past seventeen and will probably die long before then, if not from a bullet from the implants destroying their nervous system.

Pros:
Raises all combat skills to a substantial level (Ill have to test for a decent amount, but a minimum of ten. I am thinking of putting it at 15-16 and seeing how it works.) this includes: Marksmanship (Of course), Dodging, Armor Using, Punching, And Kicking

Flesh is replaced with steel, making them a lot more difficult to kill. You will need a head-shot, or to cut them in half to properly kill them. Kind of like a tank.

No breath, No Fear, and a bunch of other good No's. Basically, a bunch of the good stuff that vehicals have.

The ability to get children and babies to work. Why use them as shield when you can use them as meat shields?

100% chance of conversion, thanks to drinking instead of using exploding bars of metal.
Cons:
Relatively expensive, costing an undetermined amount of steel and capacitors.

You are making a child soldier who will die before they are seventeen. You heartless monster!

They have a low max age, starting at 0. Meaning they will randomly die of old age all the time, making it impossible for long term use.

Small chance (Again undetermined-probably between 5% and 10%) of going crazy and killing everyone. This won't happen for at least a month afterwords, always leaving you guessing, with enough time for them to get good and armed.

If adults drink it, they will probably immediately die (Maybe.)

It is a drink. Which means it can't yet get to babies (Can't think of a way of doing it so it doesn't effect the adult too), and you have to wait for Urist McSacrificialLamb to get thirsty before throwing him in the meat grinder.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:40 pm »

Toady says the next version is coming out next week. Summer is here, so I am working somewhere between 7 and 9 hour days, with not a lot of time or extra effort to devote to much else. I still have weekends off, and will probably be able to spend a few hours at least making the next version playable.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 06:35:34 pm »

I am currently working on the current version, but still have to work most the day. I am not even sure what will work, but it shouldn't take me too long. I will put up a "Quick fix" relatively soon, with working on a better tested version over the weakened when I have more time.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .24 ❧
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 09:31:51 pm »

Alright! Quick-fix version .24 is up! It *Should* work, at least for now. All important stuff (Entities, weapons, reactions, buildings, and all the stuff you need to play) should be working at 100%. The only thing I am really worried about is the new Gait thing, which I will have to put on all the creatures I made at some time in the future. I don't know what it does, but everyone seems to work fine without them for the time being.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .241 ❧
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2014, 11:09:20 am »

I ended up getting more time today then I thought, and finished most of the major errors that I left out of the last version!
-Fixed the metals, it was an oversight on my part.
-Added arbitrary gates to all the creatures I made. This will need balancing in the future.

As always, please give me feedback and ideas! I will continue to update and balance what I find, while still adding more as I see fit.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 12:21:45 am »

I have been working on it as promised, getting most of the updates done and fixing many of the new 40.3 things that just came out. Most of it is working, but I may have forgotten some things. I am away from home and can't update it like I normally would, but you can expect a new (And slightly tested!) version by Wednesday. I have been testing some in Adventure mode, but would like to get a lot more testing in with fortress mode as well, which I may be able to do in the next few days before posting the new update. As always, tell me if you notice me missing anything!

Next version fixes:
More gates dealt with.
Armor updated (Helmets, "Mail Shirts", and Breastplates)

Additions:
P90 sub-machine gun
Updates to the vehicals, giving them new body parts and attacks.
Soda recipe now gives you your seeds back, making it actually usable.
Angel Upgraded (again!), as is the Juggernaut.
Bombolla groundwork laid and tested, everything seems to work fine. Just need to think of a better way of applying it, currently going with drink.

And maybe other things I forgot.

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »

Wow this mod is cool, why no tileset?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:26 pm »

Wow this mod is cool, why no tileset?

That is great to hear! I love feedback, and rarely get any. I don't make any tile sets because I have less artistic talent than a particularly impressive rock, and any attempts to make them would probably be done on Paint. The mod should be more or less compatible with most common tilesets, but I honestly don't know much about them or how they would show creatures of my mod like Tanks or if they could without crashing. I don't group any with this mod because I haven't asked for permission, and don't use any myself.

If you find a tileset that you would like to play with this mod that doesn't work, just tell me and I would do my best to make it compatible.

--------------

As for the updates: Here they are!

Next version fixes:
More gates dealt with.
Armor updated (Helmets, "Mail Shirts", and Breastplates)

Additions:
P90 sub-machine gun
Updates to the vehicals, giving them new body parts and attacks.
Soda recipe now gives you your seeds back, making it actually usable.
Angel Upgraded (again!), as is the Juggernaut.
Bombolla groundwork laid and tested, everything seems to work fine. Just need to think of a better way of applying it, currently going with drink.

Everything seems to be working fine, but I still haven't done as much testing as I would like. I have the next two days off to rest (And go shooting with my family before I leave for collage), so I should be able to work on it a little bit. I have not tested the Bombolla in fortress mode yet, and have no clue how the class's Max Age would be effected by the transformation or what will actually happen to a child who is transformed into an adult. I finally got the juggernaut to the point that it doesn't get beat up in single combat by a normal tank, but it is still weaker then it should be. The fixes just set everything to about the same thing it was last version, but I will probably still be tweaking the gates for a while.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8